Official: Juan Manuel Ortiz a Rangers player

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/rangers/2011/07/05/spanish-ace-juan-manuel-ortiz-jets-into-glasgow-to-become-rangers-first-summer-signing-86908-23248632/

Seems to be pretty conclusive here. Will make up for disappointment of losing Danns - maybe an even better player.

Yeah its conclusive but ultimately not confirmed. It is a paper and they usually are not always on the correct wavelength.

Rangers director of football Gordon Smith is confident more players will join Juan Manuel Ortiz in heading to Ibrox.

The Gers hope to conclude a deal with the Spanish winger, below, that will see him become Ally McCoist’s first signing as manager.

McCoist has been frustrated in his attempts to add to his squad this summer, with deals for Tomer Hemed, Craig Conway and Neil Danns all falling through and swoops for David Goodwillie and Lee Wallace hanging in the balance.

He is finally set to land his first capture and it will not be the last as Rangers step up their recruitment drive.

Smith said: “Ortiz is a player we’ve been looking at for a while. We believe he has something to offer. All being well, we’ll conclude talks with him and he’ll become part of the squad.”

He added: “We were tipped off about Ortiz some time ago and our scouts were very impressed when they checked him out.

“When everything is signed he will join up with the lads for the two games and training sessions in Germany.

“Then we will move on to recruit other targets as soon as possible.”

Ortiz is a product of the Athletico Madrid youth academy and expected to pen a three-year deal with the champions today.

The 29-year-old said: “I almost signed for Rangers two years ago. It has taken me two years to get here, but I’m delighted I’m here at last. Hopefully the talks will go well and I will sign.

“I have met Ally McCoist but I knew him anyway from Rangers’ earlier interest. I have followed Rangers for those two years and it’s great to be here now.”

The winger, who is also known as Juanma, was an integral part of Almeria’s La Liga campaign last year but could not help them avoid relegation as they finished bottom of the Spanish top flight.

Almeria sporting director Alberto Benito said: “I can confirm we have had talks with Glasgow Rangers and have reached an agreement over a fee for Juanma. He has been with Almeria for four years and he is a very important player.

“He can play on the left or right-hand side of attack, but also defensive left and right. He is also very quick.”

Meanwhile, Rangers could also take Spurs pair Bongani Khumalo and Jake Livermore on loan.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks/gordon-smith-ortiz-will-be-the-first-of-many-1.1110359

Clearly we need to sort out the central defensive situation. As it stands Weir and Bougherra look our likely pairing for the start of the season but they'll need to be replaced sooner rather than later.

I feel shell shocked, never thought the day a signing would be rumoured and tied up in 24 hours :D. The way it should be.

Let's just wait till it's officially confirmed.

As for this guy, looks like a shiny winger who's got plenty of experience of a top league - his manager is gutted at potentially losing him and I've heard no one say a bad word about him.

My only note of caution is he isn't a spring chicken any more - 29 isn't that young for a winger.

But it's a minor quibble.

Really pleased to see us looking like bringing someone in.

Clearly we need to sort out the central defensive situation. As it stands Weir and Bougherra look our likely pairing for the start of the season but they'll need to be replaced sooner rather than later.

tbh that depresses me, and it's why I'm holding out hope for Wilson, Cuellar and Bartley.

tbh that depresses me, and it's why I'm holding out hope for Wilson, Cuellar and Bartley.

Can't see us signing all three of them and it's a risky business waiting until the end of August in the absence of suitable alternatives.

We need to bite the bullet here as I'd hope we'd give any new defence a few pre-season games to bed in.

Agreed, if we get this guy we need to look at defensive options.