Official: Juan Manuel Ortiz a Rangers player

Of course I'm going to talk us down. What do you expect, we've just been compared to Real Madrid.

I've obviously taken the point differently to you. I stand by what I've said though.

He didnt compare us to Real Madrid though.

As soon as he says that we are the Real Madrid OF SCOTLAND he is saying we are different to them. If he were comparing us to Real Madrid he would be saying something like "Rangers are as big as Real Madrid". But he didnt say that.

He is, as Barry says, only comparing the status of Real Madrid in their home land to the status of Rangers in their home land. He was not making any sort of direct comparison. I fail to see how you could even see it that way.

You can stand by what you said, but you are also still wrong :flipa: You said that he was comparing us to Real Madrid. He isnt. Ergo, you are wrong. It's Ok to admit you are wrong Gav - go on, it might liberate you :thup:

These are the sort of deals we should be looking for more often btw because even although Almeria were relegated, this guy has a good pedigree and plenty of La Liga experience. �£500k is an absolute bargain for this type of player.

Disagree, to an extent.

It will only be a bargain if he proves to be a success. Rothen had probably MORE pedigree than Ortiz, and look at just how he turned out.

Disagree, to an extent.

It will only be a bargain if he proves to be a success. Rothen had probably MORE pedigree than Ortiz, and look at just how he turned out.

I think it'll be a bargain either way because a new unknown quantity like this guy is going to put extra bums on seats and bring extra revenue into the club. He's signed a 3 year deal so I don't see the point in even contemplating comparing him to a failed loan deal like Rothen. You can look at it in so many different ways. If he isn't a roaring success he'll still be a bargain compared to players who cost us far more money and weren't successes, while if he IS a roaring success he'll turn out to be an uber-bargain. Anywhere in between is cool with me. ;)

Is everybody not over reacting to the comparison?,who really cares what was said to get him here?.

Absolutely.

I'd fancy CC is a Real fan so made this off-the-cuff remark in that context - not as some flawed suggestion we're Scotland's 2nd best club.

Absolutely.

I'd fancy CC is a Real fan so made this off-the-cuff remark in that context - not as some flawed suggestion we're Scotland's 2nd best club.

And this is why there is so much debate over the "comparison".

What you see as a "suggestion that we are Scotland's 2nd best club" I actually see as being the "suggestion that we are Scotland's BIGGEST club". I think that is the comparison that he was making.

Either way, Ian is right, we are arguing semantics. he managed to convince Juanma to join, which is good.