Official: Juan Manuel Ortiz a Rangers player

Lets be honest, the staff at Ibrox know we need defenders and i am sure they are onto a few. The way things have turned out we have been able to tie up the two current players and this Spanish lad became available when he did, so, we got him asap before someone nicked him.

In Ally we trust :D

I'm off to Royal Troon :D

There are quite a number of players needing to be brought in, only 18 days until the main kick off, and only 21 days until our CL campaign starts. I think I am right in saying that we are four first team squad players down from the end of last season (the 4 loanees), and that number of players was not really big enough to start with, so we really need to bring in about 8 players just to have a squad to play with.

I am confident that Ally/Smith/Whyte are working frantically to tie up deals, but I am guessing that we are now onto our second choices in most positions, or the clubs are playing hardball and it is taking longer than expected to tie down our first picks. Either way something really has to start happening, and very very soon.

It is not good to throw a half dozen or so new players together, with a new manager, and expect them all to work well together right away, so a few friendlies to gel the new team would be advantageous, but time is slipping away quickly.

I'll be quite comfortable for the moment if we get Ortiz and the 2 loan deals from Spurs because the SA guy from Spurs is a big central defender and the other lad is a midfielder. That should hopefully give us enough cover to start the SPL season and have a good shot at CL qualifying, then if we qualify for the CL group stages Ally might have some serious spending ability meaning we could bring in another 2 or 3 cracking players before 31 August.

5 Jul 2011

Rangers director of football Gordon Smith is confident more players will join Juan Manuel Ortiz in heading to Ibrox.

The Gers hope to conclude a deal with the Spanish winger, below, that will see him become Ally McCoist’s first signing as manager.

McCoist has been frustrated in his attempts to add to his squad this summer, with deals for Tomer Hemed, Craig Conway and Neil Danns all falling through and swoops for David Goodwillie and Lee Wallace hanging in the balance.

He is finally set to land his first capture and it will not be the last as Rangers step up their recruitment drive.

Smith said: “Ortiz is a player we’ve been looking at for a while. We believe he has something to offer. All being well, we’ll conclude talks with him and he’ll become part of the squad.”

He added: “We were tipped off about Ortiz some time ago and our scouts were very impressed when they checked him out.

“When everything is signed he will join up with the lads for the two games and training sessions in Germany.

“Then we will move on to recruit other targets as soon as possible.”

Ortiz is a product of the Athletico Madrid youth academy and expected to pen a three-year deal with the champions today.

The 29-year-old said: “I almost signed for Rangers two years ago. It has taken me two years to get here, but I’m delighted I’m here at last. Hopefully the talks will go well and I will sign.

“I have met Ally McCoist but I knew him anyway from Rangers’ earlier interest. I have followed Rangers for those two years and it’s great to be here now.”

The winger, who is also known as Juanma, was an integral part of Almeria’s La Liga campaign last year but could not help them avoid relegation as they finished bottom of the Spanish top flight.

Almeria sporting director Alberto Benito said: “I can confirm we have had talks with Glasgow Rangers and have reached an agreement over a fee for Juanma. He has been with Almeria for four years and he is a very important player.

“He can play on the left or right-hand side of attack, but also defensive left and right. He is also very quick.”

Meanwhile, Rangers could also take Spurs pair Bongani Khumalo and Jake Livermore on loan.

- For those who can't circumvent the ET's ridiculous attempt at a paywall.