Lessons today for Ally

1. McCulloch and Edu cannot play together in the centre of the park. Slower than a week in the jail. Its got to be Davis and either one of them.

Two defensive midfielders absolutely can work in the right setup - unfortunately neither of these players has the speed or range of passing to make it work. So I agree. Top marks for changing it.

2. Kirk Broadfoot is a bombscare in the centre of defence. A central defender has to be brought in quickly. Thank God Davie Weir is back on Tues night.

To be fair to Ally, he probably made the right choice in terms of central defence. Kirk's been out for a long time, and I'm weary to fall into that trap of writing a player off after a few bad performances, especially after returning from injury. But to me Kirk has none of the attributes of a central defender - he has average pace, his positioning is poor, and he isn't really very good in the air. His distribution is frightfully bad. When he's out on the right he's like the little engine that could. He can/could run all day, and tackle fairly well and was surprisingly adept at getting forward. To me he's, at most, a second choice fullback. Although if Whittaker plays as poorly as that he could well be in for a starting shot. Totally agree we need a CB badly. I think Ally's more than aware though.

3. The high ball up to big Jelavic has to stop. The big man's greatest asset is when the ball is played into his feet. The amount of times we saw a number of players punting the ball up to him was infuriating.

Agree, but as I said in another post - it's a sign of a malfunctioning midfield. When there are no options, that's what happens. Movement was poor today - but you necessarily don't have a lot of movement in a team with two holding midfielders unless they are top quality. Although Jelavic and Naismith are very different players, they are of a similar type when up front. You'd prefer Jelavic not to be the one holding the ball up unless the pass is coming from close in a flowing attacking move, but that's the same story for Naismith when up front.

Only the guys on the flank nearest the dug out will hear anything the manager says. Messages can be passed through these players or if there is a stoppage in play and someone comes for water. If the manager isn't speaking directly to the majority of the team does it matter if he does it personally or if KMcD does it for Ally, as Ally did for Walter last year?

Poor first half to say the leist and we really need to start playing our players in the correct positions, why would we have all our own team camped in our own penalty box during a corner kick that hearts had taken and had we won the first ball then a breakaway was on the cards to race up the park and create something! Room for improvement needed and new additions urgently required and I know we are working on this but it's only the first match of the season but the sterner test begins on Tuesday night against Malmo who are seventeen games to the good in their league and we can't afford not to turn up from the first whistle!

Does seem odd we didn't throw on any added strikers, Hemmings and Healy, was there a lack of trust in them? People say Jelavic can't work on his own I do agree but its also hard when long balls are being played up and nobody is there to feed off him. Jelavic is very good with the ball at his feet so he could do alright as a lone striker might lack total pace but has some good qualities about himself. Seems to me we are going into the season with 1 striker and 1 injured striker the others are either not trusted or not experienced enough. Although that could change against Malm�¶ and I hope it does.

1 of McCulloch or Edu should not play on Tuesday and another striker should play.

Guest Dutchy

I would love to see Wylde on from the start. It's been a long time since we've seen someone take on players up the wing and put in crosses.

I know he's young and has a lot of matches to go before he becomes a great, but why not start now, the sooner the better.

I thought with him coming on and Whittaker moving forward, we did much better.

I would love to see Wylde on from the start. It's been a long time since we've seen someone take on players up the wing and put in crosses.

I know he's young and has a lot of matches to go before he becomes a great, but why not start now, the sooner the better.

I thought with him coming on and Whittaker moving forward, we did much better.

Wylde is exciting, agreed. However, his final ball is very poor most of the time. He has a great deal of development to go through - and he should be undertaking additional training sessions and working on his crossing.

I'll say it again we have to get players in and have them playing in their correct positions, we were way off the pace yesterday and the midfield was terrible, edu took the ball and always played it back through defence, I really just want the team to play well and get results but until certain players pick up the pace they should not be selected! Near the end of the match one player stood out for me was Whitaker and the lazy ball he often played!

1. McCulloch and Edu cannot play together in the centre of the park. Slower than a week in the jail. Its got to be Davis and either one of them.

2. Kirk Broadfoot is a bombscare in the centre of defence. A central defender has to be brought in quickly. Thank God Davie Weir is back on Tues night.

3. The high ball up to big Jelavic has to stop. The big man's greatest asset is when the ball is played into his feet. The amount of times we saw a number of players punting the ball up to him was infuriating.

As good as the rest of your post is the bit in bold deserves "post of the week" allocade.

I said the same in the match thread: Davis, Edu and McCulloch are 3 central midfielders so how does that fit into a 4-4-2? Davis is by far our best player so he is a cert, then its 1 more in with him. Ally seemed to be copying WS yesterday rather than trying his own game.

Agree with the high ball...I was well pissed off with this. Get the ball on the deck and play to pace - thats our advantage!

In the stand in the dug out who gives a f*#k he can see the game better from the stand McDowell on the end of a phone who can get the message across and it's him who works the closest with the players on a day to day bases. Can't believe how much time is being taken up with this subject get a grip guys.