When was the last time we played a 3-5-2?

Playing an untried formation in an important european game was daft and definately not "spot on".

How so? We played 5-4-1 most of our last CL games and it worked. Whittaker and Wallace have pace enough to work as wingbacks, so the 3-5-2 could easily switch back to 5-3-2, with Edu, Davis, and Naismith, given their pace, could lend cover too. They did, btw. Should have been tried before? Sure! Ask Ally why he deemed it worthwhile not to try it out earlier. It should be our formation in every home game. And since Bougherra and Papac are essentially right-backs (Algeria) and left-backs (with us), it does not need much organization talent either. It was a bad error that led to the goal, and afterwards, the Swedes produced some neat counter-attacking football against our just-back-from the summer break'ers.

Unless this team turns it around big style, we are out on our arses here guys, the swedes played well and looked comfortable on the ball! Well after all 17 games into their season you would expect that! I'm scunnered at this result I really am :(

If this is tactical, then fair play to Ally - brave thing to do, taking the captain off this early. Whether it works or not, kudos.

Was an injury to Weir juff. Papac came over a few minutes prior and told McDowall that Weir needed to go off - Weir's expression confirmed an injury

Fair point mate.

I'm astounded Edu, McCulloch and Whittaker lasted the full game.

If it hadnt been for Weir's injury I would have been surprised they made it beyonf half-time.

All 3 of those above were, and I hate to say it, AMATEURS tonight. Utter, utter tosh.

McCulloch at one point had the audacity to watch a player waltz past him and then when play broke down he blamed the defenders for playing too deep. The guy ran PAST McCulloch and he watched him do it with ZERO effort to at least pressure the guy.

Edu & McCulloch are both so slow that we will get absolutely MURDERED by ANY mobile CM partnership.

Edu isn't too slow he is just like a rabbit in the headlights and doesn't know what to do. McCulloch is just slow.

Edu aint no Lovenkrands for pace.

Point is, we will get slaughtered by other CM pairings if McCoist perseveres with these two. They are BOTH passengers right now.

Edu aint no Lovenkrands for pace.

Point is, we will get slaughtered by other CM pairings if McCoist perseveres with these two. They are BOTH passengers right now.

Yeah I wasn't saying Edu was Lovenkrands but comparing Edu to McCulloch on pace is one thing that Edu has going for him. Although you don't see him use it much as he has already been bypassed. Yep both are passengers and that is an integral part of the park.

Gobsmacked waking up to this. Not just the result but the selection, tactics and lack of changes. If your going to play 3-5-2 then the midfield has to midfielders and wingers, not full backs.

Was astounded when giving Whittaker a new contract was a priority. He will have another 4 terrible games then we might see 1 game where he plays well and everyone will think he is brilliant again. Ive never seen such a clueless player.

Time and time agian its obvious Naismith isnt an out and out striker, he is much better creative on the right mid or the right side of a front 3.

I cant believe Wylde wasnt brought on.

We'll end up losing young talent like Ness and Hutton if donkeys like McCulloch and Edu are picked ahead of them. Not only that, they make things difficult for Davis as he has to do 3 times the work.

Malmo are maybe a decent technically team but we all knew they were well into their season so we should have been playing friendlies in June is we were serious about CL qualifiers.