Goian in now for Goodie

I'm probably just simple when it comes to transfers but why do keep lodging bids that get rejected. Surely we get together with the other team and negotiate a deal that suits both parties or we just walk away. Why all this bid - rejected, bid - rejected, bid - accepted nonsense.

I'm probably just simple when it comes to transfers but why do keep lodging bids that get rejected. Surely we get together with the other team and negotiate a deal that suits both parties or we just walk away. Why all this bid - rejected, bid - rejected, bid - accepted nonsense.

That's basically what happens.....The seller sets their price - possibly inflated, the buyer then puts in lower bids....the two tend to meet somewhere in the middle hopefully.

It's the seller that is in the position of power.

Every purchase has a barter process because of the variety of factors which can change every time a bid is made.

I'd suggest that in this case, Rangers feel they can get the player cheaper because of his alleged leanings towards our club. I'm not so sure that will work so I'd fancy we'll have to increase our bid accordingly given the other interest in the lad.

2 papers running we have failed, if the bids are true we haven't upped our offer seems odd.

"Failed" - do you work for the BBC or something? I can't see how not paying over the odds is a failure - quite the opposite to me.

Does that mean the Dragons fail in the Den when a pitcher turns down their offer?

Or how about that "Four rooms" programme where four curio dealers all make bids on some thing that someone brings along. They put in a hard-nose offer, don't budge and then often get turned down. They "fail" several times an episode. Do they look bothered? Not a jot. Are they failures? Judging by their wealth, I don't think so. They are only interested in buying at a price that suits them - only the weak pay over the odds.

I wouldn't like to go car hunting with many on this forum - "Hurry up; just pay the asking price!" :disgusted:

This is what happens in any type of haggling - it's just that it's not usual that every bid and rejection is publicly announced.

Have you ever bought a house? Been to Turkey on holiday? Etc, etc, etc...

Why pay over the odds for every player? Whyte and Ali Russell are trying to get the best value possible for the club. I posted a thread last week saying exactly the same thing. It seems that Craig whyte just can't win with some fans. Some fans would be quite happy if we were offering 15k a week for average players like Craig Conway

I know we are negotiating but surely from what I have heard we have offered practically the same when he had the case over his head. Oh and on Conway we dodged a bullet, might be an ok SPL player but never ever worth �£15k a week and I congratulate the board/management on that.

"Failed" - do you work for the BBC or something? I can't see how not paying over the odds is a failure - quite the opposite to me.

Does that mean the Dragons fail in the Den when a pitcher turns down their offer?

Or how about that "Four rooms" programme where four curio dealers all make bids on some thing that someone brings along. They put in a hard-nose offer, don't budge and then often get turned down. They "fail" several times an episode. Do they look bothered? Not a jot. Are they failures? Judging by their wealth, I don't think so. They are only interested in buying at a price that suits them - only the weak pay over the odds.

I wouldn't like to go car hunting with many on this forum - "Hurry up; just pay the asking price!" :disgusted:

No but I find that terminology similar, we didn't meet the selling clubs price and therefore failed but I am just using their words. Would it have been better if I used rejected bid? I might have not put my post together as brilliantly but we have failed in a bid. Have I ever said we should pay the asking price? No, I think I said we should try and put clauses in to try and put the price closer to what Dundee Utd want.

No I don't work for the BBC.

We also have to consider that the takeover was only completed at the tail end of the season so Ally probably didnt start looking at targets until June which is much later than most clubs. I also heard that we had disbanded our overseas scouting network during the cutbacks so it looks like we've had a rush against time trying to find and sign targets before our season started (which also started earlier that usual).

So all in all I am quite satisfied with our progress in the transfer market and would expect that work in this respect will continue throughout the season in preperation for perhaps January and next summer.

No but I find that terminology similar, we didn't meet the selling clubs price and therefore failed but I am just using their words. Would it have been better if I used rejected bid? I might have not put my post together as brilliantly but we have failed in a bid. Have I ever said we should pay the asking price? No, I think I said we should try and put clauses in to try and put the price closer to what Dundee Utd want.

Still don't get where you need the word, "fail" - it's completely inappropriate. Or have you failed in convincing me that it is? And we can't complain about the BBC putting a negative tone on us all the time if we do it routinely ourselves. You could say we were successful in not being ripped off... However, we may fail at that if we up our offer.

Success in this context is about getting something you want for a good price. In the bigger picture, success is building a league winning squad without breaking the bank. Whether you sign a specific player is irrelevant to the bigger picture.

I'd rather we "failed" to give Dundee Utd �£2M for Goodwilly than go back to the days when we "succeeded" in buying the likes of Prodan for �£2.5M or worse, Flo for �£12M. And there are many, many other examples.

Sorry, but I really don't see the point in dumbing down or slurring what seems to be rare business sense from the club we support, even if it's just glib or unintentional.