What do you think of our business so far?

They're saying 3 weeks left of the transfer window, which has now been opened since early June iirc.

We all knew our squad was paper thin, and that numerous reinforcements were most definitely desired.

Our business so far is Spanish 29 year old winger Ortiz for �£500k, Scottish left back (24) Lee Wallace for �£1.5M, Romanian 28 year old central defender Dorin Goian for �£800k, and 24 year old American midfielder Alejandro Bedoya on a pre contract who will join us in 5 months.

Forgetting what we arguably still need, what are our verdicts, given what we've seen of them, of the signings we've made up till this point?

They're saying 3 weeks left of the transfer window, which has now been opened since early June iirc.

We all knew our squad was paper thin, and that numerous reinforcements were most definitely desired.

Our business so far is Spanish 29 year old winger Ortiz for �£500k, Scottish left back (24) Lee Wallace for �£1.5M, Romanian 28 year old central defender Dorin Goian for �£800k, and 24 year old American midfielder Alejandro Bedoya on a pre contract who will join us in 5 months.

Forgetting what we arguably still need, what are our verdicts, given what we've seen of them, of the signings we've made up till this point?

On the first point,in bold,we are still trying to strengthen the squad.

On the second point,I have no comment as I haven't seen any of the games yet.

Nothing exciting about the signings for me.

Transfer dealings have been strange. Multiple bids for DG ending in reports of actually out bidding Blackburn. Paying Hearts over the odds for a player in his last contracted year; and now another saga developing with the Dutchman and the Belgian; announcing the "possible" signing of the Ozzie on the official website.

The only place I have experienced bidding such as ours is on a Spanish beach when those dodgy blokes in speedos come round trying to sell you over priced sunglasses etc.

I'll be pretty miffed if we don't settle a couple of decent signings soon without all this "another Rangers' bid has been rejected" pantomime.

Wallace looks good and I think we got him at a fair price. Ortiz looks like he'll do a job once he settles into his role in the team (possibly right wing-back). Goian, haven't seen enough yet to judge, Bartley is a very good player and will do well, but possibly isn't the new Messiah some are bigging him up to be. Bedoya, I know nothing off. Still need a few in, but happy enough with those who have arrived.

I am annoyed at the way things have been done though - not the rejected bids as such, we have to ca' canny with the cash, if that means going in and out with 5 or 6 bids to end up saving us a half million, so be it - but that everything has been done so publicly. I don't know if this is an exercise to appease fans - look how hard we're trying - or to pressure clubs into selling, whatever it is I find it distasteful and amateurish.

We need more, simple.

Doesn't mean we haven't been trying

As Craig says, but I wish we would stop making our dealings in the transfer Market public knowledge! Really how stupid do look when it goes bloody tits up :(

Without being an arse, neither of you have answered what my post was about :P

Yer always an arse :devil:

honestly, I would have to say too early to tell.

My thoughts :

• Ortiz - underwhelmed by him so far to be honest. I think Wylde, Wallace would make better options at LM. RM he might do but I would prefer Naismith there. Needs time though as he came from a very different style of football.
  • Goian - again, too early to tell. Looked decent enough against St Johnstone. But only played one game. At 800k should be relatively low risk
  • Wallace - I have to say, VERY impressed by this lad. I think he is solid defensively and is more than happy to get forward too, has a decent delivery and his set pieces are good too. Even though he cost 1.5 mill I think he could easily turn out to be value for money for us.
  • Bedoya - who knows ? But given he is a winger/wide midfielder you would have to suspect that with Ortiz on board and now McKay being linked we would be looking for more width in the team. Seems to have a good reputation but we have no idea how he will adapt to the rigours of the SPL.
  • Bartley - hasnt played yet this season (other than 45 on Sat and 15 last weekend for Arsenal). However, from what we know about him he will enhance the starting XI. Where he fits in given other targets nobody knows. But this signing was, I think, a real fillup for fans.
  • Lost players - we have lost out on, seemingly, a ton of players but there are few of them where we should really be that disappointed with the obvious caveat that without playing for the club we have no idea if they could have become a great. Danns (no biggie), Hemed (would have been good to get but he went elsewhere for monetary reasons - could also be standard, lifestyle and weather reasons too). Goodwillie (decent enough striker but the goldfish bowl of Glasgow and his prior reputation could easily have led to him being the riskiest 2.8 mill we had ever spent). There are others I know but these are the ones I recollect easily - the others I cant recall cant be that much of a loss, aside from Messi that is ;)
  • One thing I am reasonably impressed by is that we are being linked to players of the calibre of Carlos Cuellar - this shows, to me at least, that whilst we know we need additional numbers, we also want quality coming in too.
  • Disappointing is the fact that our transfer dealings all seem to be played out in the public eye. McCoist and, indeed, Gordon Smith should know better that the best policy is always to get a deal done in secrecy. Whyte is new to football so he gets some slack.
  • We still have 3 weeks left and we are clearly working in the market to get new players in. So judgement needs to be reserved. I know, I know a cop-out.
  • With the EPL not having to announce their 25 man squads yet, we really SHOULD be keeping options open as there may be some gems available, even on loan.

All in, given the players we have missed out on, the ones we have signed, the ones we have been rumoured to be interested in, and that there is still time available.... I would rate us as a C+ thus far.