Protest against BBC Scotland - Saturday 5th November

I know I haven't posted on here much but can I please implore anyone who reads this thread and is going to Ibrox that day to come along for even 30 mins and show support?

We have to show that we won't take this kind if reporting anymore. Even a fraction of the crowd attending Ibrox that day outside BBC HQ would make big news and it is surely a point worth making for an hour or two of your time before the game. Also not everyone is on a fan site or uses Twitter or FB so please, whether you can make it or not, tell other Bears about this and why it's happening. Stick to the facts. Some people (I'd include myself) are not predisposed to demonstrations but we have to get our point across here.

The BBC, and their pals who run Celtic minded blogs, are expecting to sit back and laugh about how few people turn up at this. They want to have a laugh at our expense. Don't let them.

The BBC, and their pals who run Celtic minded blogs, are expecting to sit back and laugh about how few people turn up at this. They want to have a laugh at our expense. Don't let them.

I think there's going to be some Celtic fans turning up at the BBC HQ that day because they don't play till the Sunday. There might just be one or two coming along to have a look at what's going on, but everyone there on the day should be on the look out for any yahoos trying to masquerade as Bears and cause trouble or damage to property.

I'm not against protesting against them, but I do think a well-organised large scale protest against BBC Scotland would be safer to conduct at Ibrox, would ensure a larger number of participants and reduce the chances of bheast infiltration.

I am not going to take a position on the actions of the BBC other than to say that if Mr Whyte wasn't as secretive about his past business affairs and current finances (however legitimate that secrecy might be), then there would be a lot less for fans, the BBC or any of the media to speculate about.

However, it does seem to me that if anyone wants to protest against the BBC coverage of Rangers or indeed coverage of Mr Whyte himself, then the best place to do it is outside the BBC HQ at Pacific Quay. I don't see the point of protesting against the BBC at Ibrox if they are banned from there. The BBC won't be listening and I doubt that it would get much coverage.

However, if the protest takes place at Pacific Quay and is of significant size then the BBC themsleves would be hard pressed not to cover it, for sure STV and perhaps SKY would to, not to mention the print media.

Lastly, regardless of Mr Whyte's comments today, I don't see that bannning the BBC or banning employees from speaking to the BBC (the legitimacy of which would depend on their contracts) is either desirable or sustainable in the long term. The previous administration (sorry bad word right now) banned a certain Mr Speirs for a short period but sooon realised that banning journalists because you disagree with what they write is likely to backfire on you. I do realise that SDM's enjoinder, that if you don't like what they write don't buy the paper doesn't quite have the same analogy here as the BBC is a worldwide body but nonetheless there are other ways to protest, short of taking legal action, such as to complain directly to the BBC or Ofcom. Oh and since the comments complained off, were as many have pointed out directed at Mr Whyte, rather than RFC, I trust that Mr Whyte is paying his own legal bills in this case.

Can the club actually ban the BBC from Ibrox without breaching SPL regulations?

Interesting question Zappa. I have found the SPL Regulations online:

Commentary positions â?? Clubs shall have

a minimum of 5 TV and radio commentary

positions.

Camera positions â?? Clubs shall provide

a suitable gantry or gantries for use by

television cameras and any other moving

picture cameras in such an area of its

ground and at such an elevation to allow

for clear and unobstructed coverage of

matches. NB â?? UEFA requires there to be

one main camera platform exactly on the

half way line. This platform must be at least

6 square metres.

TV Studio â?? Clubs shall be equipped with a

TV studio or have an area that may be used

for this purpose. NB â?? UEFA requires there

to be two studios available.

OB Van area â?? Clubs shall have adequate

provision to allow for OB van parking. NB

â?? UEFA requires an area of 200 square

metres.

and this in their MEDIA CENTRE:

BBC Radio Scotland/BBC Radio Five Live

The BBCâ??s new deal runs through until the end of 2011/12. BBC Scotland have nonexclusive

live radio commentary rights for every match. BBC Radio 5 Live have the right

to broadcast commentaries from up to 10 matches each season.

The deal also enables BBC to screen terrestrial highlights from all matches and to

stream up to 120 minutes of footage online via the http://www.bbc.co.uk website.

Sportfive

I am not a lawyer, far less a media lawyer, but based on the above whilst Rangers might reserve the right of admission to Ibrox Stadium to whomsover and and on whatever grounds they chose (again within the SPL and SFA Regulations) they will be hard pressed to ban BBC Radio and indeed cameras from Ibrox if the BBC have a contract with the SPL for those purposes as they appear to have unless the BBC have breached the terms of any such contract, which has not been alleged so far as I have read (as yet!).

So my answer to your question would be NO they can't but that might not prevent them trying and the issue would then be what are the BBC going to do about it. Presumably complain to the SPL and threaten not to pay whatever the fee is in the contract, then all the other SPL Clubs are affected etc etc.

Thanks BH. That's roughly what I presumed would be the case. The bottom line is that trying to completely ban the BBC from Ibrox would be extremely problematic and potentially costly. I really can't see Whyte doing it because it would cause serious friction between the club and the SPL. We probably don't get very much money from the BBC rights, so the cost might not be an issue, but it's just a problem the club doesn't need at the moment.