Naismith confirmed as out for 8-9 months

While I hope someone can step in to his place, I have to agree that Naismith has been our most irreplaceable player this season. He's been the creative spark that has lifted a good but workmanlike team to another level. He may not be as good as Laudrup but he was fulfilling that role and giving us that X-factor. He was sorely missed when he didn't play due to suspension and being rested for the League cup game.

We can win without him but it's definitely more of a grinding out a result. It sounds horrible, but there are so many more players I'd be less bothered about losing. To me we have six must-play squad members and he's number one out of that elite group - a talisman if you will.

Hopefully other players can step in and do a job - and it gives an opening to Bedoya and McKay who have yet to fully feature.

No one can 'replace' Naisy as he's been an integral part of Ally's system this year - from supporting on the right wing to bursting into the box to score a vital goal. He's been the lynchpin this season around which our whole creative system has worked - our most important and effective player.

The test now is to see if Ally can adapt to this loss and alter the system to compensate for it. He's going to have to change how we set out, because Lafferty, as great as he's been for months, has excelled in his proper position as second striker - he couldn't do the Naismith job out wide and up front in the same match. Bedoya has been largely unused since we signed him - but he's the most obvious replacement to go out on the right wing.

The question is what system we'll use and how we'll deploy our attacking players now that Naismith's invaluable contribution is gone. I hope Ally's up to making the right and proper changes - it's his first real test of management. He really now has to 'manage'.

Surely a main site article in that post mate. :whistle:

Major, major blow indeed. Strangely enough, I feared that somesuch might happen weeks ago, since he's that sort of give-it-all player, always in there in the thick of the action.

Hopefully he gets over it sooner than what is said, but getting back to that fitness and form is another hurdle along the way ...

As mentioned its not just his form that will be missed but his effort, he is one of those players who will give it 110% all the time.

Time for someone to step up though. First thoughts are Bedoya as he is more a right sided player, but it could also be a terrific chance for Ortiz as he has drifted away since being fielded left wing, so if he is also more naturally right he has a chance to show us.

McKay is still to break into the team and cant see him being the one to move in, even McCulloch has been brought back into the team ahead of him lately.

But our numbers in midfield are there this season, Bartley and Ness are another two still to come back.

The Naismith injury could have more affect upfront as he was probably still our 2nd / 3rd choice striker even if in midfield. Jelavic is first pick but then its between Lafferty and Naismith so our numbers upfront are really low.

On a purely football & team viewpoint (!), we played Naismith all over the park last season, more often than not due to lack of personal. Now we have the emerged Wylde and McKay for the left hand side (and I for one rate McKay highly), plus Papac/Wallace, as we have seen. For the right hand side there is Ortiz and Bedoya, both of whom have IMHO been "suffering" from the good form of the rest. What we have to realize is that these 4 players are sure good enough to cover for Naismith in the SPL. What worries me is the lack of substitutes for either Lafferty or Jelavic.