If we want to expand our merchandising outreach, targetting the poorest countries in the world is a non-starter. You'll sell some clobber, but I doubt if it would be a large amount. We should sign players from poor countries on their footballing ability, not their merchandising potential.

Agreed but its almost impossible to sign these poorer players because of UK Work Permit rules and I am sceptical these 2 would be able to get permits.

Agreed but its almost impossible to sign these poorer players because of UK Work Permit rules and I am sceptical these 2 would be able to get permits.

Got to admit that I know nothing about Asian players getting work permits metlika. What makes you sceptical?

Has been noted in an Indian paper as well (quoted on FF). India is ranked too low and Sunil's 3-year deal with QPR went out of the window because they could not get a work permit. Which is kind of strange, but who knows enough about red tape to clarify this. You would assume that before inviting them over for a trial we made sure that there actually is a chance signing them.

You would assume that before inviting them over for a trial we made sure that there actually is a chance signing them.

Unless it was never intended that they could possibly be signed, but even then, you'd think some more research would have been done even for a PR stunt if it's true that they wouldn't be eligable for permits.

Going to try and make sense of this but possibly not. The older guy who failed to get a work permit for QPR has now played enough International games to apply for one now. As for the 20 year old I would imagine signing a youth player has different rules as he can never have played international games and is signed as a learner\student.

Next stop, Nepal ... or so thinks the Daily Record

RANGERS are closing in on a shock swoop for ex-Aberdeen ace Sone Aluko.

Director of Football Gordon Smith has had preliminary discussions with the Nigerian inter-national winger over the possibility of a move to Ibrox and is also on the trail of Nepalese defender Rohit Chand.

Aluko, without a club since quitting Aberdeen in the summer, is seen by Smith as a replacement for crocked Steven Naismith who won’t play again this season.

Meanwhile, Rangers are looking at Nepalese defender Chand as they continue to explore the untapped market on the subcontinent.

Record Sport exclusively revealed yesterday that boss Ally McCoist is weighing up moves for Indian strikers Jeje Lalpekhlua and Sunil Chhatri.

And it is also understood the Ibrox outfit are planing to run the rule over Chand, who is also being monitored by Spurs, Arsenal and French cracks Lille.

Chand, who plies his trade in the Indian Premier League with HAL SC, was recommended by Graham Roberts, who is currently in charge of the Nepal national team.

Rangers are hoping to take the 19-year-old defender on trial later this year although he will not arrive with Lalpekhlua and Chhatri, who are due in Glasgow next week.

Rangers last night confirmed the pair will be given the opportunity to win themselves a permanent deal.

The SPL leaders’ Head of Business Development, Raymond Farrelly, is also due in India this month to meet officials from Indian League clubs in an bid to tap into the Asian market.

Aluko is the only player of the Dons besides Foster that I actually rate. While there might be a reason why he is without a club since the summer, as a freebie and for low wages sure a squad-player you may look at. Unless I am mistaken, he's a right winger, is he not? That would at last give us some (SPL) cover on that side ... even though Ally might have tried Bedoya there more often.

Got to admit that I know nothing about Asian players getting work permits metlika. What makes you sceptical?

Well as has been said India world ranking is too low. However teams like Korea and Japan can get them as the tims have shown.

However I am still baffled about Wanyama guy Kenya aren't ranked high his brother, McDonald Mariga, a better player was a rejected a work permit for joining Man City but Wanyama was granted one :confused:.

On Aluko I don't rate him, if he was any good he would have found a club.

Well as has been said India world ranking is too low. However teams like Korea and Japan can get them as the tims have shown.

However I am still baffled about Wanyama guy Kenya aren't ranked high his brother, McDonald Mariga, a better player was a rejected a work permit for joining Man City but Wanyama was granted one :confused:.

On Aluko I don't rate him, if he was any good he would have found a club.

I always quite rated Aluko and thought he was one of Aberdeen's best players. To be honest though I would prefer us to be looking for a striker as we now seem to have enough cover for the wing positions.