All Transfer Rumours and silly season stuff

IMHO just another story to raise the spirits, only to come back at the end of the months telling us that "we missed out on" this or that chap because of *insert negative stuff of your choice* ... and we are left wondering, whether Ally actually knew about his supposed interest.

NB: Why spend 2m on this chap when 300k for Sandaza can help us out right now?

NB2: Just noted that Porto has a 83m buy-out clause in Hulk's contract. Methinks they are the only rich club in Europe able to exploit the South American market and make large profits of it. (Not that this Portuguese-Brazilian (et al) link-up is very dubious indeed and should, IMHO, be looked into by UEFA et al.

NB3: from the Daily Record

And sources close to Valladolid insisted McCoist is determined to persuade Rangers owner Craig Whyte that cash must be found to land Guerra.

So Traynor knows that Valladolid people know that McCoist is talking to Whyte about money? Where can I get the stuff he's had?

Edited by der Berliner
spelling

Can't see how a story about us 'blowing our entire budget' on a 29 year old 2M striker raises spirits in any way.

As for Porto, dunno what that has to do with anything, but the fact is there are huge political and social links between Portugal and Brazil, and Porto, Sporting, and other Portuguese clubs take advantage of that. Nothing untoward at all about it.

Frankly you could argue we take advantage of our links with Northern Ireland with signings like Healy, Lafferty and Davis. Not quite on the same scale but if there's an avenue to be exploited, why not do so?

... I was referring to the pretty lax laws with Brazilians et al, i.e. acquiring passports and licenses to play in Portugal, making it far easier for the teams mentioned to sign up grand potential and sell it off with vast profits ... something hardly any other European country does.

Davis, Lafferty and co. are, of course, British citizens.

NB2: Just noted that Porto has a 83m buy-out clause in Hulk's contract. Methinks they are the only rich club in Europe able to exploit the South American market and make large profits of it. (Not that this Portuguese-Brazilian (et al) link-up is very dubious indeed and should, IMHO, be looked into by UEFA et al.

Similar to the Turks turning out for Germany now.

... I was referring to the pretty lax laws with Brazilians et al, i.e. acquiring passports and licenses to play in Portugal, making it far easier for the teams mentioned to sign up grand potential and sell it off with vast profits ... something hardly any other European country does.

Davis, Lafferty and co. are, of course, British citizens.

But Brazil, as you know, used to be a Portuguese colony and there have always been these links which have remained ever since.

Similar to the Turks turning out for Germany now.

Nope. That is because a large quantity of Turks do actually live in Germany and those who play in the German leagues or indeed the German national team are folk born and bred in Germany, who either have the German or the Turkish or both passports. Same goes, BTW, for Podolski, Klose and Khedira, but they obviously have no Turkish background.

As of the having been a colony in days gone by, I doubt that e.g. Indians will get a work permit for Europe or indeed a British passport as easily as a Brazilian footballer gets a Portuguese one. (But I/we hijack this topic, I fear.)

Edited by der Berliner

Traynor is taking the mickey again. There's absolutely no way we'll be spending £2m on a single striker. Even if Jelavic gets sold we won't spend £2m on a striker in my opinion. The only way Ally will get that sort of money for bringing in a single player is if there's a bidding war for Jela and we end up getting silly money or if we sell Jela plus another valuable player. It doesn't make very much sense at all though, so I'd say Traynor is basically talking rubbish. Nothing new.

That striker Hamdi Salihi that Celtic are being linked with would be worth a punt, but I wouldn't like the club to deal with Rapid Wien again after the way they messed us about over the Jelavic negotiations.