All Transfer Rumours and silly season stuff

Porto and the other Portuguese teams don't need work permits, same for all the countries bar the UK with South Americans so can use the loophole, plus they have nicer weather, hardly a crime if I am honest. Porto will never get 83 million euros for Hulk, some teams put in insane release clauses to try and ward off people, although they did sell Falcao for 47 million Euros.

Kris Boyd considering a contract offer from Houston Dynamo according to SSN

Saw that. How the 'mighty' have fallen.

As a side point about Boyd, I realised something about his career in the SPL which may actually shed some light as to why he scored so many goals here.

He had 10, or was it 11, pretty much interrupted injury free years. I think almost any striker given a decade in a league would be pretty high on the goal scoring lists. I was going to start a new thread on that one then decided against it.

Miller was here for about 6 years on and off and scored over half Boyd's goals. Does that not make sense?

Traynor is taking the mickey again. There's absolutely no way we'll be spending £2m on a single striker. Even if Jelavic gets sold we won't spend £2m on a striker in my opinion. The only way Ally will get that sort of money for bringing in a single player is if there's a bidding war for Jela and we end up getting silly money or if we sell Jela plus another valuable player. It doesn't make very much sense at all though, so I'd say Traynor is basically talking rubbish. Nothing new.

Not sure I agree - we bought Jela while in an even worse predicament than we are now. And spent almost £4M on him.

The idea of spending £2M isn't insane.

It's just depressing that we consider that a huge amount on one player.

Not sure I agree - we bought Jela while in an even worse predicament than we are now. And spent almost £4M on him.

The idea of spending £2M isn't insane.

It's just depressing that we consider that a huge amount on one player.

£2m for a good player is peanuts in football today Danny (as you know), but I just don't believe that Whyte has the money. Even if we WIN this bloody tax case I don't think Whyte will have millions to give the manager for buying players.

It was 1994 when Chris Sutton signed for a British record £5M. Not long after that we were spending £4M on players. The British record paid is now £50M.

It follows that spending £2M now would be like spending £200k in the mid 90's - let's be conservative and say £400K. It's peanuts compared to England currently and in relative terms to what we used to spend, which is why we're not getting the same relative quality as before.

Basically inflation has been massive while our income has not changed and money is much tighter with the overspend and tax bill looming over us.

For me, we *should* be blowing the budget on a £2M player as that's the minimum of quality we need. If we can get bargains of the same standard cheaper as well then we should obviously go for it.

As a side point about Boyd, I realised something about his career in the SPL which may actually shed some light as to why he scored so many goals here.

He had 10, or was it 11, pretty much interrupted injury free years. I think almost any striker given a decade in a league would be pretty high on the goal scoring lists. I was going to start a new thread on that one then decided against it.

Miller was here for about 6 years on and off and scored over half Boyd's goals. Does that not make sense?

Steady Danny I've just got over the last Boyd thread, he's finally found his level right next to the all you can eat buffets.

Not exactly this silly season, but a reminder how sane the decision was in the end, i.e. to drop out of the Goodwillie bidding war with United and Rovers ...

Dundee United have cut their debt after landing £3.8m from the sale of David Goodwillie to Blackburn Rovers. (The Star)

He's no-where near a 4m player and United made a good job in reducing their debt here. IMHO, we should not be hold to ransom and hold the lifeline for the lesser lights of the SPL. Pay fair and square, but not such inflated amounts.

Are you comparin Miller's years there as a teenager to Boyd's?

Even prolific players tend to have a lower scoring rate in their earlier years due to still learning their trade, maturing into a first team player from a youth and not starting as many games.

I dont think goals/year is a useful stat for players.

Are you comparin Miller's years there as a teenager to Boyd's?

Even prolific players tend to have a lower scoring rate in their earlier years due to still learning their trade, maturing into a first team player from a youth and not starting as many games.

I dont think goals/year is a useful stat for players.

I'm...not exactly sure the point you're making?