After the debacle of the contract then his hideous start to the season, I was very much anti Whittaker. So when he started actually producing form closer to what he's capable of, I allowed myself to fairly let him be judged on what he was doing on the pitch, and it was pretty good.

At that time, Edu's form was terrible and he was public enemy #1 on this forum.

Now Whittaker's getting it in the neck and the ire Edu suffered is now directed towards Whittaker.

At all times our fans need at least one player to blame for our woes. Davis got it at one point, Kirk got it big time in preseason, and now it's Whittaker's turn.

I accept that his form isn't magnificent, but I don't care if I'm manager, chairman, tealady, or mere fan, I refuse to single out one player to effectively pin our weaknesses on. It is a team game for me, we win and lose as one.

And with that I am done in this thread.

So you havent been reading where people are giving Davis and Jelavic a hard time too then ? Because both of them have also been given criticism for the club's current malaise, to a lesser extent than Whittaker admittedly.

However, it is amusing the faux outrage from some of our fans when some choose to castigate a player that DESERVES such criticism. I would find some level of agreement if it were due to formation or tactics - for instance, Jelavic having to play up front alone with no support, or even Lafferty playing at left mid when he is a striker. BUT, and it is a big but, Whittaker is being asked to play RB which, since he turned pro, has been his natural position. So no excuses there.

On Saturday he was MURDER. Does that mean he deserves to be singled out for criticism ? IMHO yes it does. He sold one goal and very nearly sold two others. Yet for some reason we are expected to not voice concern at his poor form ? That is fine for you but when he isnt given criticism for below average performances then just perhaps he is coasting and if he costs us a draw or a victory at Parkhead due to yet another bad performance then we should also just accept that it is a team game ? I normally would but I simply cant believe that anyone would not consider that he almost single-handedly gifted that game to ICT on Saturday.

Yes, it is a team game - you win as a team and you lose as a team but there is no reason why fans shouldnt be questioning the contribution of players. Whittaker's contribution of late has been very poor. Not what should be expected of an experienced player.

Maybe we should be looking at the management rather than the player though. It is obvious that he is out of sorts. Given that someone else should be brought it - RB is a position where we do actually have adequate cover in McMillan, Broadfoot or even Ortiz or Bartley. Get Whittaker out of the team and give someone else a shot.

I didnt see Broadfoot get a torrid time in pre-season I have to say, I thought the whole team were getting it tight. Maybe I am wrong or maybe I see things differently from you.

Every team has a "public enemy #1" although I think that is a pretty aggressive term for it. Edu was criticised because his form, too, had been very poor.

"You accept his form isnt magnificent" - minor understatement dont you think ?

I think most of us base player's performances on a game-by-game basis. We dont make a player a scapegoat unless they have played poorly consistently. But why cant there be criticism of a player when he has, quite simply, had an abysmal game ? Surely criticism is allowed ?

It doesnt mean it is scapegoating, it means the player has been shite - and anyone suggesting that Whittaker was anything other than shite on Saturday is barking, IMO.

Well I'm not going much further with this one, except it's human nature to find a scape goat. If Whittaker was to suddenly begin playing superb, you think the rest of players, the team as a whole will then be great?

I agree Whittaker is having some bad ones, but I know what he's capable of and have faith that he will come good again. In fact, I've been choosing him to score in the last few matches, and I'll take him again this week. I just wish Ally would play him more forward and against St Mirren, he may wel get the chance to get forward more.

Football supporters do turn with the tide. On Sunday the Ajax supporters were booing Miralem Sulejmani. When he scored a lovely goal just after, they were clapping him.

I'd happily see Whittaker sold in January to be honest and it's just not a reaction to his poor form this season. He's one of the few players we would actually get some money for since he is on a decent term contract and from all accounts there are a few interested parties. He's never a defender and has gotten where he is for his attacking play down the right and the odd wonder goal, we can't afford players like him in this team at the moment because we're not putting teams under the cosh like we used to.