Matt McKay to leave for South Korea

Looks like he is away then

Rangers midfielder Matt McKay is set to seal a permanent transfer out of Rangers to South Korea, STV understands.

The Australian international is surplus to requirements at Ibrox, having made just three appearances for Ally McCoist's side.

McKay arrived at the club in August 2011, moving from Australian side Brisbane Roar in a £250,000 move.

It is understood the 29-year-old has already said his goodbyes at Murray Park, as he becomes the first player to leave with the club in administration.

The club's administrators, Duff and Phelps, are currently reviewing the budget at Rangers, with a view to potentially releasing players from their contracts.

McKay was left out of Australia's latest squad for a World Cup qualifier with Saudi Arabia, which was announced on Tuesday.

The 2012 K-League season is due to start on March 3. McKay had a previous spell in South Korea with Incheon United in 2006, but didn't make a competitive appearance during a short loan.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/rangers/298295-matt-mckay-to-leave-rangers-for-south-korea/

Edited by Craigy1881
Forgot the link

If this is true, this has to be one of the saddest peices of football news of our bewildering season. To only see this guy play on limited occasions during a time when Ally deemed it viable to continue with the obviously flawed Papac/Wallace combo as well as crow bar guys like Bartley and McCulloch into our engine room says more about our current manager than the merits of Matt McKay.

Good luck wee man. IMO you were the right guy in the wrong place at the wrong time

I'm just glad this will end all the "what about Matt McKay?" nonsense. The guy obviously wasn't good enough after being punted to Rangers by ex-players. The fact that he's off to that footballing hot-bed South Korea tells me all I need to know.

Not good enough? Based on what? 2 and a half games where he was out of position? Whatever the qualities of McKay were I am damn sure thet were head and shoulders above McCulloch, Bartley, Papac and Wallace in terms of contributing to a failing midfield

I'm just glad this will end all the "what about Matt McKay?" nonsense. The guy obviously wasn't good enough after being punted to Rangers by ex-players. The fact that he's off to that footballing hot-bed South Korea tells me all I need to know.

To be fair though, at least South Korea is closer to home for him & probably a better option for him in terms of visiting his family/friends.

On another note, I can't help but think that the players we signed in the last window was purely to branch out into other countries & promote the Rangers brand instead of actually signing quality players.

Not good enough? Based on what? 2 and a half games where he was out of position? Whatever the qualities of McKay were I am damn sure thet were head and shoulders above McCulloch' date=' Bartley, Papac and Wallace in terms of contributing to a failing midfield[/quote']

Based on him going to Korea for the 2nd time, his first spell was on loan and he didn't feature in the first team once. Sound familiar?

A f#*king disgrace the man never had a chance, you have to wonder the amount of players who come with a good rep but don't get a chance then leave and become great players again I see Ortiz has 3 in 3 since leaving just beggers belief.

I wonder if he is being played in his preferred position?

From all accounts he IS good enough. From memory, he looked ok in the 3 appearances he made, and the reports from various bounce games always seemed favourable. Considering the dross that appeared in the 1st team ahead of him....how bad would he need to be???

I think its simply another "Jordan McMillan" scenario. His face didn't fit the manager's plans.....

Good luck to the guy......

(for what its worth McKay is a regular in my FM2012 team - very consistent performer!!!)