Matt McKay to leave for South Korea

Fair points Jaun but I would have gladly taken decent' date=' tidy and quick to release the ball in any game this season above slow, one paced, sideway passing and long balls....[/quote']

If I was being really cynical I'd suggest those qualities precluded him from a berth in Ally's teams, but that's another discussion altogether.

If I was being really cynical I'd suggest those qualities precluded him from a berth in Ally's teams, but that's another discussion altogether.

Go on Jaun be cynical. If you don't I will. Remember Ally was the man who coined the famous quote after Lafferty's injury V Motherwell...."when big Kyle came off it FORCED us to play the ball on the deck...??!!" Also from the same interview, he stated that he ALLOWED Fleck to get forward? What else would you want him to do?

I have great admiration for Ally the Player and what he's done during this crisis but he is not a good manager by any stretch of the imagination

Weren't Rangers recently criticised for playing on the deck? I'm sure I remember playing against a team with a dodgy keeper and the pundits were asking why were weren't testing him with high balls into the box all the time...

The real point is that you need variety in your play otherwise it's a bit like playing 6-4-0... For example, if you ALWAYS play short serves at badminton then your opponent will come closer to pounce on any less than perfect. If you mix it up a bit with the odd long one, they can't do that and are always on their toes.

Football is a three dimensional game with a full gamut of tactics - if you don't use it all then you're not going to get anywhere. Ally is no dunce when it comes to football and to me was one of the most enlightening pundits on the telly with regards to some of the technical stuff. To suggest he's stupid says more about the lack of knowledge in the detractor than our manager in my opinion.

Ally is no dunce when it comes to football and to me was one of the most enlightening pundits on the telly with regards to some of the technical stuff. To suggest he's stupid says more about the lack of knowledge in the detractor than our manager in my opinion.

It's all very well saying that....but the evidence on the pitch, blows it oot the water IMHO.

The recent Dunfermline game (I think) is a case in point.....constant long balls got know where, as soon as they got it on the deck and passed it - goal.

Variation is the key - makes it difficult for the opposition to plan. I have no doubt McCoist is well aware of this, but neither he or the players are showing it on the park, where it counts

To be fair though, at least South Korea is closer to home for him & probably a better option for him in terms of visiting his family/friends.

On another note, I can't help but think that the players we signed in the last window was purely to branch out into other countries & promote the Rangers brand instead of actually signing quality players.

Can't help but agree with this. McKay from Austrailia, Bocanegra and Bedoya from USA (fair enough, no issue with Boca). The farce with the boys from India coming on trial really made me think it. They were there to help set up a new Twitter feed and if Ally specifically wanted these players then I'd be amazed.

As for McKay, I think he should have been given more of a chance, he really can't have been that bad that he only deserved to feature in one competitive game. It's not as if he's up against a squad of world-beaters, and I'd be extremely surprised if he was much worse. At the same time it's a smart decision to let him go instead of someone who has contributed to the squad. We can say "well what if..." all we want, but the fact is he's done nothing and therefore there will be no contribution to miss. Good luck to him in the future all the same!

I don't think there's a "blown out of the water" about it. Ally did fine when the club was stable and he had a decent number of decent players to make a decent team.

He's shown he can't cope with utter turmoil and his best players removed from a wafer thin squad and other main players suffering a loss of form.

All that says is that he's not some kind of managerial genius - there is nothing to suggest he is less than average under the circumstances. Management is a pretty complex animal in any case and there are plenty of highly respected managers who have failed under less than ideal circumstances - Kenny Dalgleish for one.

A very small snapshot of your managerial record does not directly reflect your football knowledge. Ally was an incredibly successful number two as well as a player, and add pundit to that too.

Does anyone on here actually have a football CV that betters his supposedly poor one?

I'm not saying Ally is the manager to take Rangers forward - although under the circumstances I really couldn't make that judgement, but the man still deserves a modicum of respect from those who have not achieved the tiniest fraction of what he has.

Ironically, he has shown far more glimpses of making it as a half decent manager than half the hardly played guys who leave Ibrox (to the chagrin of many of the support) have of making it as a decent Rangers player - McKay included.

I think people very easily forget the situation that Ally finds himself in here. Let's make no bones about it, this is THE worst Rangers squad I've ever seen, and it's difficult to even call it a squad anymore. Fair enough, the guy probably has made some mistakes, his cup performances have been inexcusable at times, the performances-even when winning- weren't great, but I'd like to know who the people who constantly slate Ally think could do better in his situation. The guy started with a fairly reasonable first team (no further than that) at the start of the season, and they ran with it in the league! The performances were brutal at times, but we've not been famed for playing great football for quite a while. The guy has been given the worst budget for any manager I've known at Rangers, and has had one best player injured for the season and the other sold. We all want Ally holding the reigns just now because he is a great Rangers man with the club at his heart, but I personally think he deserves a chance if we come out the other side looking a more stable set-up.

It is very easy to criticise McCoist, because the performances have been terrible at times, but what other manager has had to work with such a poor budget and squad? I personally can't think of one.

I think people very easily forget the situation that Ally finds himself in here. Let's make no bones about it, this is THE worst Rangers squad I've ever seen, and it's difficult to even call it a squad anymore. Fair enough, the guy probably has made some mistakes, his cup performances have been inexcusable at times, the performances-even when winning- weren't great, but I'd like to know who the people who constantly slate Ally think could do better in his situation. The guy started with a fairly reasonable first team (no further than that) at the start of the season, and they ran with it in the league! The performances were brutal at times, but we've not been famed for playing great football for quite a while. The guy has been given the worst budget for any manager I've known at Rangers, and has had one best player injured for the season and the other sold. We all want Ally holding the reigns just now because he is a great Rangers man with the club at his heart, but I personally think he deserves a chance if we come out the other side looking a more stable set-up.

It is very easy to criticise McCoist, because the performances have been terrible at times, but what other manager has had to work with such a poor budget and squad? I personally can't think of one.

As much as Ally has been somewhat hamstrung there is simply no excuse for playing so many players out of position and continuing with the turgid long ball tactics. On the few occasions this season we have looked like a team it's only been when we got the ball on the floor and passed the flipping thing