We will remember

1 hour ago, Bluedell said:

What did he stop? Green taking over the club? 

Let's not forget that his consortium was headed by Celtic fan Steve McKenna.

Impossible to say what he stopped in fairness. Also in fairness Mckenna was putting up cash until fans did not heading up a consortium. Browns proposal IIRC involved a few thousand rangers fans and former players putting up 25k each or something like that. 

Hard to imagine it wouldn't have been a step up from Green but we will never know. 

Certainly he made things tougher for green and that was all good. I was there when we marched on Ibrox green was keeking out from behind the curtains. It may not have been the end of green but it may well have been the beginning of the end. 

I have to say the bears who massively backed the season ticket boycott have a lot to be proud of. 

6 hours ago, der Berliner said:

It should be rather clear. Anyone de facto ordering the mass murder of thousands civilians need not be lauded for exactly that.

I'd back him or his successors to do it again to any country that bombed our cities first. War is war and you reap what you sow. I do hope we're not on the brink of some nonsense about "it wasn't Germany, it was the Nazis wot done it, nothing to do with the Germans".

54 minutes ago, Bill said:

I'd back him or his successors to do it again to any country that bombed our cities first. War is war and you reap what you sow. I do hope we're not on the brink of some nonsense about "it wasn't Germany, it was the Nazis wot done it, nothing to do with the Germans".

The thing is that we bombed German cities on a scale far in excess of what they bombed ours.  The most bombed place in the UK was Bootle. My dad lived in Bootle during the Blitz, so I'm aware of how bad it was, but it didn't amount to 10% of what Dresden and Leipzig got. There really wasn't much military necessity for the bombings, other than the Russians wanted it and the raids were not going after strategic targets, so in many ways it was a political decision, although Churchill was horrified by it and saw it as very close to being a war crime.

21 minutes ago, onevision said:

I always thought that if someone chooses to fight you then you retaliate with more muscle in the hope that the fighting stops.

Yes, against the perpetrators, in this case armies, navies, factories, railways, ports etc, or if it will bring the war to a quicker end (eg Hiroshima, which ultimately saved lives). Not against civilians. It is legitimate to bomb cities where there is a strategic target. If there is not, as in the case of Leipzig, then it is an act of terror, deliberately intending to traumatise the civilian population. The Harris case is complex and the arguments for or against have been debated by historians, some in favour, some not, but "they started it" is not a legitimate justification when it comes to the possibility of war crimes. As I already mentioned, Winston Churchill was horrified at these bombings.

That said, I have really enjoyed the "bombing" of the guilty parties and vindictive haters in Bluedell's poem, especially those paricular clubs who actually wanted to literally destroy us. They have certainly reaped what they sowed