Why did you choose Rangers ?

As with most guys on here, supporting Rangers stems from from Grandpa, and my father. As a young boy, hearing my Grandpa's stories of the great Gers teams of the 60's and big "corky" Young at Centre Back. Dad's stories of Great European nights (especially Bayern at Ibrox) from his youth, made me realise that the Rangers of my day (80's) had tremendous history - even Grandpa had watched them when he was a boy!

I was never going to support anyone other than us, but Grandpa's story that he told my brother and I about becoming a gers fan was slightly better. Being from a farming family from Armadale, around the age of 10 or 12, Grandpa's father wasn't that interested in football, but him and his brothers tended to read about Rangers in newspapers of the day. At the time, the Scottish Coal Board were digging drains along the roadside past his farm. A few of the workers and engineers stopped for lunch at the bottom of the road as the digging passed the farm 1 day. Grandpa and his 2 brothers went for a look and got talking to the men. 1 of which was Alan Morton, the Wee Blue Devil, who still worked for the Coal Board as an engineer while playing with Rangers. Grandpa said at the time they could not believe they were seeing someone in the flesh they had only ever saw in newspapers. From that moment on, all 3 brothers were never going to be anything other than fans of Glasgow Rangers.

Grandpa's only wish was that he had saw Morton play in the flesh.

A story that I will pass on to my Children!

I started supporting Rangers when I was about six or seven as having a favoured club seemed mandatory for a young boy in Saltcoats at and the question was always, “Who do you support, Rangers or Celtic?” and so there appeared to be only two available choices. I had no idea who to choose as I didn’t know much about football teams then apart from the mandatory game of football at playtime. I don’t remember it being on telly much and with three older sisters it was difficult enough just to watch Space 1999 with Top of the Pops on the other side. Most families usually only had one TV in those days.

My Grandpa wasn’t into football and neither was my father, who was also away for long periods in the Merchant Navy so had no adult to influence me. I chose Rangers as I really like the sound of the name and my favourite colour was and is blue. My older brother also chose Rangers but I only became aware of this after I had made my choice and he never really embraced the club in the way I did and it was more of a passing interest for him rather than the passion I developed. I’m pretty sure he thought spending time on a fans forum was actually a bit sad and he didn’t attend many games.

So while six year old was a bit young to really appreciate the actuality of the football team you choose to support, it instead mostly manifested itself in the collection and swapping of football cards that came with a pack of chewing gum. There were plenty of Celtic fans also around the school that would swap you a load of Rangers cards for one Celtic one they were missing so I ironically always wanted to get one of those cards when I opened the pack.

Because my brother was also collecting the cards he convinced me it made sense that only one of us should collect the Rangers ones and the other should collect another team. So being the younger one and having already spurned Celtic, I reluctantly started collecting Aberdeen cards. However, in 1978 when my brother started gloating to me that his club had beaten mine in the League and Cup to win the treble, I realised that I was very happy about that as Rangers were really the team I wanted to win and from then on I was 100% positive about who I supported and no-one could convince me otherwise.

It was the 1978 world cup where I really started to watch football, at least on the telly but I do remember beforehand that when being sent to the shop to get a paper I read my the first news article that I ever enjoyed – as while practicing my new reading skills, newspapers seemed so boring. It was on the back page and was about Derek Johnstone scoring over 40 goals in one season. I was proud of him for being a Rangers player and he became my favourite footballer for a while.

I really got into the world cup and although Scotland had a bad couple of games the Dutch game was brilliant capped by that goal by Archie Gemmell. However, the one thing I couldn’t get my head round was why Derek never played – he was the most prolific goal-scorer Scotland had and he stayed on the bench. I blamed Ally McLeod for this and for Scotland not getting to the next round. As he was a Rangers player and also my favourite was incredibly disappointing.

From then on I was always reading the back pages about Rangers and for the first time really started following every result. I already knew all the players names and faces from the cards and now I could read about their exploits. I also discovered the joys of Sportscene and Scotsport (my sisters were now well into their mid to late teens, one had left home and the other two were out all the time) and got my first Rangers top for my birthday which I used to wear all the time – although was forced to wear a smart v-neck over it for school.

Next came the obligatory Subbuteo team as well as a couple of scarfs and flags. I didin’t start attending games until my mother was remarried to a Rangers fan who took me along now and again starting at the age of eleven, although I was never allowed to see an Old Firm match in the flesh as my mother wouldn’t allow it. This was at the time of the rebuilding of Ibrox and I remember being seated in the Copeland road stand facing the opposing Broomloan Road stand and the Main Stand to the left. On the right was just a building site that morphed each time I went into a more and more complete stand which I was dying to sit in and eventually did.

Once complete I seen it as the best stadium in Britain as it was the most modern and had the most seats, and was very proud of it and have been ever since.

Edited by calscot

My dad and uncles who were Rangers daft.

I still remember my dad taking me to Ibrox for the first time when I was 7 in 1975. Old Ibrox with terracing at both ends before the redevelopment. We sat in the Main Stand because my dad had promised my mum we wouldn't go anywhere where there was likely to be crushing or trouble.

Rangers played Dundee and won 2-0 I think.

First time I went on my own without my dad was with pals from school in 1982. Copland front against Dundee United. One of the best experiences of my life.

My Dad as well.....bluenose through & through.

He had a tear in his eye when my daughter who was bout 4 at the time declared that she wanted a Rangers strip. It was just at the Euro final time. My Mum & Dad volunteered to take her down to Ibrox to get the strip - he shed a tear when she tried the top on in the shop. He starting greetin' again when he saw her photo in the Rangers news!!!

My dad and older brothers were Rangers daft. My dad's dad wasn't into football really but had a softspot for Rangers. My mums dad was a big Airdrie fan and even managed to turn out for then once.

I recall my dad taking me to my first match which was against Bayern Munich under the floodlights late 60's ish, Gert Muller scored the opener with Colin Stein equalising for us. The fans were singing "the hills are alive with the sound of Mullers a bastard" and that song has stuck with me ever since.

It was after that match i realised i was hooked on the Gers.

I also recall shortly afterwards getting my first Rangers Kit which just happens to be the current one and needing to get the badge sewn on by my mum and then strutting around proudly showing it off as not everyone could afford the badge back then.

My whole family are and always will be massive Rangers fans. Rangers through and through til the day we die.