Is Ally the Man for the job? - The McCoist Thread

Never mind CG. I am not trying to compare anything, but am merely asking a question.

Can somebody please confirm we havent spent anything on transfer fees ?

not one penny spent, nor should we have to for the level we will be playing for the next few years. plenty excellent freebies out there, we just need to find the right ones.

I thought the rumour was that at least 1 or 2 of those 9 were Smith signings and McCoist DIDNT want them. That not the case ?

ally came out in a press conference and said he was delighted with every single signing, smith also admitted ally had the final say on all players who came in on trial. ally was happy with them all and wanted them all.

not one penny spent, nor should we have to for the level we will be playing for the next few years. plenty excellent freebies out there, we just need to find the right ones.

Thanks kuznetsov.

I agree we shiouldnt have to spend any transfer fees and, in fact, hope we dont. We need to hold our powder dry until we get back to the SPL. And we will. Saturday's result is a mere blip in the process. Trust me. Whether it is McCoist or not at the helm, we WILL be back in the SPL soon enough.

I think it was you who said that McCoist got more signings wrong than right last season. Would you agree though that the signings he has made thus far in this transfer window have actually been good acquisitions, of the ones we know anyway.

Sandaza - SPL standard striker, decent goalscoring record and will do a job

Shiels - same as Sandaza but the intriguing thing for me is that he could be the link between midfield and attack, would like to see him playing behind the front two in the hole.

Kyle - not everyone's cup of tea but in the 3rd division the physicality will suit him and I think he is a decent enough signing for this level.

Emilson - who knows ? But we do know we are likely to need more reinforcements at the back if Goian and/or Bocanegra go. Standard is open to debate right now.

Black - definitely SPL standard, WYSIWYG. Will flourish in this division too as he isnt afraid to mix it up.

And then McCoist apparently is trying to sign a Brazilian winger too - I wouldnt get overly excited by his nationality but it does look as if McCoist recognises the lack of width in the team and having to use Wallace as a winger is, hopefully, a short term policy.

At the very least it looks as if Ally realises what he NEEDS in terms of positions. And then once he has what he wants and needs, hopefully the football will change. But anyone expecting silky short passing in the middle of January on a tight pitch in Scotland is far too optimistic. And sometimes you will need to play the ball long, it happens. If the pitch is mud-filled or rain soaked you need to play the long, or at least in the air - sadly we are far from the only club in the country where technique is over-looked for brawn. I wish it wasnt the case but it is.

Edited by craig

Thanks kuznetsov.

I agree we shiouldnt have to spend any transfer fees and, in fact, hope we dont. We need to hold our powder dry until we get back to the SPL. And we will. Saturday's result is a mere blip in the process. Trust me. Whether it is McCoist or not at the helm, we WILL be back in the SPL soon enough.

I think it was you who said that McCoist got more signings wrong than right last season. Would you agree though that the signings he has made thus far in this transfer window have actually been good acquisitions, of the ones we know anyway.

Sandaza - SPL standard striker, decent goalscoring record and will do a job

Shiels - same as Sandaza but the intriguing thing for me is that he could be the link between midfield and attack, would like to see him playing behind the front two in the hole.

Kyle - not everyone's cup of tea but in the 3rd division the physicality will suit him and I think he is a decent enough signing for this level.

Emilson - who knows ? But we do know we are likely to need more reinforcements at the back if Goian and/or Bocanegra go. Standard is open to debate right now.

Black - definitely SPL standard, WYSIWYG. Will flourish in this division too as he isnt afraid to mix it up.

And then McCoist apparently is trying to sign a Brazilian winger too - I wouldnt get overly excited by his nationality but it does look as if McCoist recognises the lack of width in the team and having to use Wallace as a winger is, hopefully, a short term policy.

At the very least it looks as if Ally realises what he NEEDS in terms of positions. And then once he has what he wants and needs, hopefully the football will change. But anyone expecting silky short passing in the middle of January on a tight pitch in Scotland is far too optimistic. And sometimes you will need to play the ball long, it happens. If the pitch is mud-filled or rain soaked you need to play the long, or at least in the air - sadly we are far from the only club in the country where technique is over-looked for brawn. I wish it wasnt the case but it is.

i completely agree mate and quicker than some think as well.

i am happy with all signings so far this season, every one, the only one i think could struggle is the brazilian, the rest should have no problems holding their own.

we thought that about sasa and lee last season but ally kept doing it. we do badly need width, mckay, little nor wallace are the answers for either flank.

i believe he does, but like i have also said earlier, it looks like he knows what is wrong with th team, he mentions most problems us as fans see but it is getting him to fix those problems which is the stumbling block, he knows what the problems are, but doesnt seem to know how to fix them.

ally has already spoke about playing better football, attacking football, time will tell if he impliments it or even tries. lets hope so.

How can you "blow" a 15pt lead when the other team has two games in hand?

It was a nine point lead and we lost to Celtic in our second game against them - pretty much normal for a season, and in fact we won two and lost two - nothing to complain about.

So really we blew an effective 6 point lead by dropping 8 points in 6 games while Celtic dropped none and it has to be remembered they were pretty lucky and had quite a few dodgy ref decisions due to their campaign against them.

We then lost the advantage in the OF games due to a perfectly good goal chalked off.

That left us 2 points behind.

We then rallied with four wins and a draw in five games playing some good stuff, although Celtic continue an amazing run that they won all the games meaning we were 4 points behind.

Then administration came and we were docked 10 points and lost three out of the next four games which was obviously related and not what we'd have expected normally. So by 17th of March we were 21 points behind.

We then beat Celtic to be 18 points behind.

We won the next couple of games but lost the league with 5 games to go.

If we could have played those four games after administration at the end of the season we could have being going to Celtic for the last OF game of the season 1 point ahead with 8 games to go.

Or if you apply a normal two points dropped in those four games we could have been playing Celtic at one point behind with four games to go.

I doubt the players would have gone through the motions in the last Celtic game in those scenarios.

But the point is that if administration had not happened, the likelihood is pretty high that we'd have been pretty close to Celtic till the end of the season and it would have been a bit of a toss up who would have one. Given Celtic's predilection for bottling it, I think we'd have had the advantage.

But it's all so buggered up due to the financial melt down that we really don't know what would have happened. However it is ludicrous to expect a manager to win the title against a close rival with even the 10pt deduction never mind the other aspects.

We finished second but that's what you'd expect at best under the circumstances and no manager could be blamed for that. Especially one who had competed for the title before the melt down.

He was 4 points ahead for the first half of the season, but things started to go bad by 17th December which is probably the time when the rumours about our finances was getting to a crescendo.

I don't know how you can judge a manager on the rest of that season.

It is naive to think that Adminstration was something that happened over night.

I would think the whole team were aware that we were on the brink for a large part of the season.

I doubt it, plenty of speculation but we'd had no problems winning titles before with speculation. It was very out the blue, I didn't expect it myself at that time.

Most of us including players and staff I think thought it all depended on the tax case, yet we've gotten into this situation with that still not decided.

How can you "blow" a 15pt lead when the other team has two games in hand?

It was a nine point lead and we lost to Celtic in our second game against them - pretty much normal for a season, and in fact we won two and lost two - nothing to complain about.

So really we blew an effective 6 point lead by dropping 8 points in 6 games while Celtic dropped none and it has to be remembered they were pretty lucky and had quite a few dodgy ref decisions due to their campaign against them.

We then lost the advantage in the OF games due to a perfectly good goal chalked off.

That left us 2 points behind.

We then rallied with four wins and a draw in five games playing some good stuff, although Celtic continue an amazing run that they won all the games meaning we were 4 points behind.

Then administration came and we were docked 10 points and lost three out of the next four games which was obviously related and not what we'd have expected normally. So by 17th of March we were 21 points behind.

We then beat Celtic to be 18 points behind.

We won the next couple of games but lost the league with 5 games to go.

If we could have played those four games after administration at the end of the season we could have being going to Celtic for the last OF game of the season 1 point ahead with 8 games to go.

Or if you apply a normal two points dropped in those four games we could have been playing Celtic at one point behind with four games to go.

I doubt the players would have gone through the motions in the last Celtic game in those scenarios.

But the point is that if administration had not happened, the likelihood is pretty high that we'd have been pretty close to Celtic till the end of the season and it would have been a bit of a toss up who would have one. Given Celtic's predilection for bottling it, I think we'd have had the advantage.

But it's all so buggered up due to the financial melt down that we really don't know what would have happened. However it is ludicrous to expect a manager to win the title against a close rival with even the 10pt deduction never mind the other aspects.

We finished second but that's what you'd expect at best under the circumstances and no manager could be blamed for that. Especially one who had competed for the title before the melt down.

He was 4 points ahead for the first half of the season, but things started to go bad by 17th December which is probably the time when the rumours about our finances was getting to a crescendo.

I don't know how you can judge a manager on the rest of that season.

Plenty of sugar coating there.

I didn't really care about the league in the end considering what happened, but at the time the way lost the lead was a disgrace. Yes they had two games in hand but that still involved us dropping plenty of points to leave them four ahead, and top before the new year kicked in.