Is Ally the Man for the job? - The McCoist Thread

it was a double winning squad andhe was allowed to add 9 of his own players to that and still made a complete mess of it. lafferty was not deadweight for goodness sake. that is ridiculous. whytes negotiations got ally 9 new players, not too shabby at all, for any club. it is not a completely new team either, we had a back bone already in place of around 6 first team players.

Those 9 new players sounds "not too shabby" but when they arent your 1st, 2nd or even 3rd choice because your chairman is a financial charlatan then it makes it hard to get things the way you want them, wouldnt you agree ?

I could go and sign 9 new players for Rangers... but they could all be shite - it is the quality of player you bring in that is the important factor and I thought it was well known that pretty much not one (other than probably Wallace) of those signings were Ally's 1st choice signings.

On this forum, I used to expect better. However, I suppose as we grow, the law of averages will prevail and the moronic element of our support will be represented. One draw and the game's up for ally eh? You people on here slating him have no comprehension of what he's been through and continues to go through for our club. He just lost a whole generation of players for fuck sake. Including all the decent youngsters. He's in the process of rebuilding a truly shattered institution and it's clear to see some players are still waiting on a move.

Jimmy fucking calderwood, indeed. We almost lost rangers forever and now we have a fight on our hands. A fight, not a cakewalk. Ally's done some cracking business already considering our situation and he needs time. "oh but he had his chance last season and he never played nice football". Fuck off. The club fell down around his ears and if you can't remember that then I truly envy you. I remember, so does Ally. Amongst the ruins stands one man. He's got my support. You lot can fuck off back to FF where you belong.

Sorry admin....furious.

Calm doon man, calm doon.

We are all still raw with emotions which is understandable.

But no need for the apology, I am sure we all understand how emotive this has been for all of us. Lets just try to keep it pleasant.

thats the thing that irks me too, he talks a good game, i have no doubts he knows what is wrong, but he has shown he cant fix it. the same square pegs in round holes. he has repeatedly spoke about exciting players coming to the club then signs kevin kyle. he speaks of fast flowing attacking football then all wesee is the long ball and zero fluidity to play. all the while he is on the sidelines arms crossed mouth closed and two assistants behind him mute. why is he not screaming to the wingers to show for the ball, screaming to midfielders to calm it down, get feet on the ball, screaming to defenders to stop punting it aiomlessly. why after that first half showing was there no change and no improvement? the same stuff we seen all too often last year, different players, to an extent, same riubbish.

You talk like the players have never played football before - or at least are at a much lower level than you are. You're saying players of this standard need the manager to tell them how to play, how to "show for the ball"? Since when do professional footballers need to be micromanaged? And how is that even possible? Players would be so busy listening to their manager that the opposition would be flying past them.

A manager gets to talk to his team twice and give them his tactics for the game. However, a game is not like chess where you can study the board, it's a whirlwind where some of the time you are just playing the best move you see at the time - like when a defender is under pressure or has no obvious constructive pass to play, he punts it and quite right too. It's always shit when a defender gets caught in position near his own goal.

Players know how to play, it's just not always easy to play the way you want to and that happens at all levels of football.

I love the "blown a 15 point lead" bit. If you're useless, how do you get a 15pt lead in the first place?

Imagine having a runner who's miles ahead in race and then halfway round gets an injury, he then gets a ten second stop/start penalty because his coach didn't fill in a form properly and still finishes comfortably second.

Do you think that guy is useless or that he has potential?

Edited by calscot

Lets be fair now, before administration kicked off Ally had blown four cup competitions and a 15 point lead.

I wanted Le Guen out pretty quickly actually, Eck not so much probably mainly because I loved the two terrific moments he gave us.

My main point was as is common in these situations a club legend will get an easier time.

It is naive to think that Adminstration was something that happened over night.

I would think the whole team were aware that we were on the brink for a large part of the season.

How has he been a complete flop? You haven't even seen him manage yet with a decent amount of stability at the club. In the most stable time we had he had one of the best starts to a season we've ever had.

But you can tell you are just make it up to how you want to see it. You have no consistent basis to judge a manager and as you incredibly weird backing of PLG shows. THAT guy was a flop and was 17 points behind Celtic and out of two cups at the halfway stage. The football on show was about the worst I've seen at Rangers since Souness came and the first time I was not confident about winning any game due to what was happening on the park.

The guy created his own crisis but didn't have the tenacity to work through it. McCoist has had the tenacity, guts and loyalty to work through the worst time in our 140 year existence. He's shown he can manage when he gets his team together and the worst you can say about him is that he's not brilliant before he's assembled his team and not a complete genius when the club goes into meltdown.

Where would you expect Rangers to come with a ten point penalty in a season? A comfortable second? Ally was SUCCESSFUL in achieving that despite losing his best players and having to cope with the psychological effects of cutting the wages of his squad by 75%, never mind the rest of the psychological effects of the off the park problems.

PLG was struggling to achieve second with a decent budget and no effects of administration including the 10 point deduction.

There are plenty on here who don't think Ally is the best manager in the world or are blind to anything. The difference is that we're intelligent enough to give reasonable and consistent measurements of a manager's tenure. We also insightful enough to know when mitigation is in order. We also don't make up stuff just to disparage a current manager of the team we support.

A manager is generally judged by his league position - just ask Kenny Dalgleish. The trouble with cups is that they are one offs and difficult to judge. In the circumstances Ally achieved enough there to keep him in the job.

I've already had a post which described Alliy's season as a scenario in a football manager game. Even in a game, no-one would put up with what he did, finish comfortably second and put up with being sacked. You'd be asking for your money back.

Now imagine you're playing the game and have you club newco'ed, you lose 23 players for next to nothing, are relegated 3 divisions, are not allowed a pre-season, have a transfer embargo coming up, you're club is struggling for investment, you need to bring in free players who are of a standard but are willing to play in the bottom division but are not allowed to do so until the day before your first game, you have two international players who are not sure what they want to do etc, etc.

You play three games with two wins and a draw and are sacked...

Would you seriously call that game fair?

I think you need to bugger off and support Man City, if you're calling McCoist a disgrace for last season, you know nothing about football or even life. You're better off with the Disney world of bored billionaires, you're just not equipped to deal with the ups and downs of the real world.

results. out of 3 competitions before september, all exits to mediocre teams on far less budgets than ours and i mean far less.

that guy(plg) still had us in europe at xmas. the team stopped playing for him because he wanted change and they were too lazy to comply.

mccoist has shown nothing of the sort on the park, nothing like it. his response to a challenge on the field was to crumble.

we still had mcgregor and bocanegra, our two best players last season. our keeper being one of our better players tells its own story incidently. we could have and should have won the league even with the 10 point deduction. i dont buy the psychological excuse.

as am i, over a year is being more than patient and nor do i make up stuff.

next paragraph is utter nonsense and just shows how far some fans expectations have dropped.

i would buy a season book, 4 in fact for the whole family.

who stopped us training? who stopped our players running up and down sand dunes or doing pre season training? answer, no one. in scottish football, easy, we are rangers, players have been falling over themselves to come and help out.

no one is asking for him to be sacked because of this seasons start, NO ONE. people have to grasp that, seriously.

your last dig is pathetic deflection.

Edited by kuznetsov

You talk like the players have never played football before - or at least are at a much lower level than you are. You're saying players of this standard need the manager to tell them how to play, how to "show for the ball"? Since when do professional footballers need to be micromanaged? And how is that even possible? Players would be so busy listening to their manager that the opposition would be flying past them.

A manager gets to talk to his team twice and give them his tactics for the game. However, a game is not like chess where you can study the board, it's a whirlwind where some of the time you are just playing the best move you see at the time - like when a defender is under pressure or has no obvious constructive pass to play, he punts it and quite right too. It's always shit when a defender gets caught in position near his own goal.

Players know how to play, it's just not always easy to play the way you want to and that happens at all levels of football.

to be fair they play like they havnt played the game before at times.

managers coach players through games all the time.

football is a very easy game to play, very easy.

Those 9 new players sounds "not too shabby" but when they arent your 1st, 2nd or even 3rd choice because your chairman is a financial charlatan then it makes it hard to get things the way you want them, wouldnt you agree ?

I could go and sign 9 new players for Rangers... but they could all be shite - it is the quality of player you bring in that is the important factor and I thought it was well known that pretty much not one (other than probably Wallace) of those signings were Ally's 1st choice signings.

no, please dont use craig whyte as an excuse for ally being poor. he got 9 players, every one he wanted. he got more wrong than right.

managers very rarely get their first choice the world over. ally spoke of havin many names for many different positions. he was happy with the signings, or is he a liar?

I donâ??t think Lafferty ever justified his near £4m price tag and if we could have recouped most of our money on him, I think we would have done so.

Kirk Broadfoot most people would like to have seen him leave a couple of seasons ago but he is still there. David Weir was basically finished 2 seasons ago but because we couldnâ??t get anyone decent to replace him he stuck around.

Jelavicâ??s heart wasnâ??t in it he was looking to move plus Whyte was looking to sell him as well, even more so after we got knocked out of Europe. Naismith got injured. Whittaker was far too inconsistent he was another who never really justified the big fee we paid for him and Bougherra wanted to leave as well.

McCoist took a punt on Goian after failing to get Cuellar who I think wouldâ??ve done a job for us but Goian certainly hasnâ??t so far. I donâ??t know why we signed McKay, Ortiz and Bedoya just because we could I suppose but none of them were really given a proper chance to make it at Rangers.

Wallace and Bocanegra were the only 2 decent signings McCoist made last summer in my opinion.

but over paying for players is what we had become used to at rangers, that was the norm.

totally agree with the second bit.

again, i agree, too many bad signings, wastes of money but i would put aluko in the good signing bracket with bocanegra and wallace.

But then so too is your previous assertion guesswork. McCoist never had, nor will have, the same players at his disposal against the same opposition as PLG had when PLG obtained his Euro results for us. :D

Yes, it is a manager's job to have his team prepared. But if a player simply doesnt listen and ignores the advice ? Ferguson allegedly did this with PLG and PLG dropped him, right ? The issue for McCoist is that he has a threadbare squad and dropping anyone who isnt trying is difficult, especially when he has more than one or two in that position.

I know you are consistent and you dont rate McCoist and, as I say, that is fair enough as there have been alarm bells for sure. I would contend it hasnt been a "complete disaster" - the start of last season and the extended domestic unbeaten run would suggest it wasnt - but I wont take issue with anyone suggesting it was - we did, after all, win nothing last season, and were punted out of Europe twice early doors too and finished 2nd in a 2 horse race - but with the league administration could, only COULD mind, have been the difference between winning and losing that.

true! :) the team he had against malmo was a good team who played like they didnt know each other, doubel winners in fact.

i accept the second bit and agree 100% with you.