Ian Black called up to Scotland squad

Yes, we all like to give our players a hard time and slagg them off to our hearts' content on a sunny Monday morning. You should know that.

Maybe you watch last season's cup final again, or check Black's assists stats of last season for the time being?

one we agree on. :)

SCOTLAND No 2 Peter Houston last night defended the decision to give Rangers midfielder Ian Black a cap call.

Last week Scotland boss Craig Levein axed Ibrox full-back Lee Wallace from his squad, explaining his difficulty in selecting Rangers players while they are in the Third Division.

But after a spate of withdrawals the SOS went out to Black and he trained with the Scotland squad yesterday ahead of tomorrow’s clash with Australia at Easter Road.

Houston said: “Ian was one of the best midfield players in Scotland last year. We can’t forget that.

“Lee Wallace wasn’t in the squad last week, but maybe Craig’s words were misconstrued when he said it would be harder to pick players. The door has always been open. Ian Black has played SPL football for a number of years and every year we talk about him as being one of the best players.

Peter Houston last night defended the decision to give Rangers midfielder Ian Black a cap call

“The reason he is in the squad is because he is talented on the ball.

“He can mix up passing, he can win tackles, he can spray the ball 50-60 yards as well. He can play it simple. And he’s got a wee bit about him.

“He’s very much a winner. I’ve always thought that Ian Black, even last year, was unlucky not to break through into the squad.”

Former Inverness and Hearts ace Black earned a call-up ahead of Derby’s Craig Bryson because Levein wanted a holding player rather than another attacking midfielder in the squad.

IAN Black, who was handed a call-up to the Scotland squad this week, will be the first player in the lowest league to be capped for the national team for 53 years if he plays against
Australia at Easter Road tomorrow night.

Not since Falkirk star John White played in a 4-0 win over Northern Ireland in October 1959, just days before he moved to Spurs for £22,000, has a player from Scotland’s bottom tier represented his country.

Black would also be the first Scot in the lowest division to make his international debut since East Fife’s Davie Duncan in 1948 against Belgium. Duncan scored on his debut in a 2-0 win.

The last player outside the top flight in Scotland to play for his country was Dundee United’s Billy McKinlay, who played in a 2-0 defeat by Sweden in October, 1995, just two days before he sealed a move from the First Divison to Blackburn Rovers.

Prior to that, Raith Rovers striker Stevie Crawford played and scored on his Scotland debut in the Kirin Cup in Japan against Ecuador earlier the same year, with the Kirkcaldy club still in the First Division, although they had already clinched promotion.

Other examples include Alan Rough, who won four caps in 1976 despite playing for First Division Partick Thistle and Clyde’s Tommy Ring, who was capped five times in 1957 with the Shawfield side in Division Two.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/footba...ears-1-2465731

Levein "clears things up"...... aye right. Tit of the highest order.

Craig Levein has moved to clear up the apparent contradiction surrounding his decision to include Rangers midfielder Ian Black in his Scotland squad.

The manager has named Black in his party for Wednesday night's friendly against Australia at Easter Road despite leaving out Lee Wallace due to the Ibrox club playing Third Division football this season.

Levein said last week when he announced his squad that it was difficult for him to pick players from the fourth tier of Scottish football.

Decision

Eyebrows were subsequently raised when Black, who signed for Rangers this summer after leaving Hearts at the end of last season, was drafted into the squad on Sunday night following the withdrawal of James Forrest, Jamie Mackie, Graham Dorrans and Phil Bardsley.

Levein, who confirmed Huddersfield striker Jordan Rhodes will make his first start and is hoping to give Blackpool keeper Matt Gilks his debut at some point, explained his decision at the pre-match press conference.

"My quotes are there for everyone to see," he said. "What happened is that some people chose to take half a quote and use that.

"It is fairly straightforward. What I said when I announced the squad is that it will be more difficult for the Rangers players to get into the international team because the standard in the Third Division isn't akin to international football.

"That is what I said and also, that the door wasn't closed on any of the Rangers players.

"We had some problems in midfield. Ian Black would have been with us to America (for the May friendly) if he hadn't been injured, so I brought him in.

"He is not a first choice, he is in as back-up and for me it's a fairly straightforward decision to make.

"We will possibly (see him in action) depending on how the game goes.

"He was Hearts' best player last year, he was also exceptional in the cup final, he would have played at some point in America so yes, you might see him."

Levein looked to draw a line under what he believes to be "perceived negativity" surrounding Black's inclusion.

"Lee Wallace has never been the first choice left-back, Ian Black isn't the first choice midfielder, no disrespect to either of them," he said.

"But as I said, I will pick who I think is first in line then pick my second choice and third choice, that's the way it works.

Negative

"What I don't want to do, which seems to happen, is concentrate on one perceived negative story.

"This has been done to death as far as I am concerned.

"We have a lot of positive things happening and I would far rather talk about those than, no disrespect, a player that has been brought in as back-up."

What I said when I announced the squad is that it will be more difficult for the Rangers players to get into the international team because the standard in the Third Division isn't akin to international football.

Stone me, by that rationale there's not a player in any Scottish league who is ready for international football! Does he ever think before he opens his yap? Surely not even Levein reckons the SPL is 'akin to international football'?

Chris McLaughlin‏@BBCchrismclaug

Craig Levein says if all players were fit for duty, he probably wouldn't select #Rangers players for Scotland squad.

Noticed this on another forum, that for me would be an instant withdrawal, guys an idiot. Its probably worse than the Broadfoot "limited ability" comment from Burley.