Spotted this little piece ont he BBC Gossip thread. Anyone heard any more on it?

"The Scottish Premier League has ordered Rangers to remove all archive footage of their top-flight matches from their website because the club does not own the copyright to he highlights. (The Scottish Daily Express)"

How petty can they get, they obviously really dislike us! Surely they can't prevent us using images of our own team?

Spotted this little piece ont he BBC Gossip thread. Anyone heard any more on it?

"The Scottish Premier League has ordered Rangers to remove all archive footage of their top-flight matches from their website because the club does not own the copyright to he highlights. (The Scottish Daily Express)"

How petty can they get, they obviously really dislike us! Surely they can't prevent us using images of our own team?

Yeah, CG mentioned this yesterday - used it as an example of the agenda against us.

Check the STV clip of him outside Ibrox, he wasn't happy about it at all.

This sounds like something very pedantic. As an SPL member we held the rights to the archives, now we are no longer a member we don't technically have the rights. However, it's a breach of a technicality that could have been accommodated by the SPL out of good will but instead they demanded the removal. Incredibly petty indeed - although some would say they are "entitled" to do this.

This sounds like something very pedantic. As an SPL member we held the rights to the archives, now we are no longer a member we don't technically have the rights. However, it's a breach of a technicality that could have been accommodated by the SPL out of good will but instead they demanded the removal. Incredibly petty indeed - although some would say they are "entitled" to do this.

It would be interesting to see how vigorously this rule has been applied in the past.

copyright protection is common. if we want the footage we pay like everyone else.

As in: Killie, Hearts and Hibs all pay the SPL to show footage of their games? I would assume we always paid our due, if there is anything due. To me, this looks more like: you are no member of the SPL, thus you shall not provide footage of SPL games any longer. If you pay a fee, you are okay. As in: money grabbing.

As I said, if the other clubs have to pay to show this old footage, fair enough. If they don't and the SPL whip up a new way of getting money from us, I'd be annoyed as Green. Did RangersTV pay for showing our SPL games? If so, they got the copyrights too and one has to double check the contracts involved.

Intellectual property is a minefield. However I'd imagine that the SPL will 'own' copyright on all of the games played in their competition, no matter who played in them. Interestingly neither Hamilton or Dunfermline have footage on their website from their time in the SPL.

There will be an agreement in place for SPL clubs to use this footage. What charge, if any, there is for this will be known to all clubs concerned.

The SPL will want a new agreement with Rangers to use this. I'm guessing they are going to say the previous agreement was with the 'old' Rangers company or something like that.

I'd be very surprised if any court would accept that Rangers 'own' that footage though. It's petty though, but hey, we realised that a while ago.