Rangers Women - Games and Updates

Eniola Aluko: I'll match my brother Sone with special strike in Glasgow clash

09:09, 11 Oct 2015

By Andrew Dickson :shifty:

THE Chelsea player is the sister of former Aberdeen and Rangers player Sone Aluko and will be in Scotland for her side's Champions League match with Glasgow City.

JS73746966.jpg

ENIOLA ALUKO roared her brother to an Old Firm win the last time she was in Glasgow and wants one more success in 
Scotland when she heads north this week.

The 28-year-old was one of 
the poster girls of the England side that finished third at the Women’s World Cup in Canada during the summer.

Now her attentions are 
turned to scaling the heights in the Champions League with 
Chelsea but Glasgow City stand in their way.

Even though City reached the quarter-finals last season against PSG, they are underdogs due to the fact their opponents are a 
full-time, professional outfit.

The Blues hold a narrow 
advantage to take into the second leg of their last-32 tie against Scott Booth’s side after their 1-0 win in Staines on Thursday.

Although the English champs dominated, Fran Kirby’s goal was all that separated the sides and that gives City hope ahead of the Airdrie return on Wednesday.

Aluko is the older sister of former Aberdeen and Rangers star Sone and she was a regular at Ibrox during the Hull striker’s seven-month spell there in the 2011/12 season.

The highlight for both back then was his stunning strike in Gers’ 3-2 derby triumph.

Having savoured the biggest club result of his career in Glasgow, Eniola now wants one of her own just a few miles along the M8.

She said: “It’s nice our first away 
Champions League game is going to be up near Glasgow. With Sone’s history at Rangers, it will be nice to go back and for the family to see me playing there.

“I was up quite a lot in Glasgow when Sone was at Gers but I haven’t been back since so it will be great to return.

“The Old Firm game where he scored is my most vivid memory. It was an incredible goal and the Rangers fans were going crazy so I’ve good memories from being in Glasgow, cheering on Sone and watching him do well. Now I want one more.

“It’ll be good to be back and hopefully we’ll get the right result. We are looking forward to walking out to the Champions League music. That’s the sort of stuff every player dreams of.”

Chelsea’s domestic campaign ended with their title triumph 
last weekend but Aluko is 
adamant they won’t take their eye off the ball. She added: “When you’ve waited your whole career for a good moment like the one we had last Sunday, you want to enjoy it.

“But we’ve had to 
make sure our heads are on for these games as we’ve worked so hard to get to the 
Champions League.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/eniola-aluko-ill-match-brother-6612582

CRB71LfWcAAkN4u.jpg

1' KICK OFF IN THE SEMI-FINAL!

7' City have the first effort on goal but it deflects off a teammate and out for a goal kick.

11' Still in the feeling out process of the semi-final with neither team really gaining control thus far.

15' City controlling majority of possession at the moment without a cutting edge. 0:0!

16' Shot for City from outside the box goes over.

21' Another strike from distance for the visitors goes well wide.

23' Rangers get forward for the first time and good link up play between Gemmell and Turner leads to a shot deflected for a corner.

29' Corner Rangers punched away by the goalkeeper.33' Watson has a dig from a free kick but it sails into the arms of the GK.

33' Watson has a dig from a free kick but it sails into the arms of the GK.

35' City shoot from distance again but it's picked up by Halbert. Howat breaks down the other end and goes down in the box. No foul. 0:0.

41' Rangers corner. Corner comes to nothing but Rangers are enjoying lengthy pressure here.

42' City break at pace and a cutback down the right hand side falls to striker who puts it wide.

CRCMSlvWUAARajy.jpg

45' We're underway for the second half! Come on the Gers.

48' Huge chance for City. Susan Fairlie goes one on one with Halbert but screws her shot wide. 0:0!

63' City changes. Ross & Lauder replace Jones & Rafferty.

65' Goal City.

67' Rangers retaliate moments later and Lisa Swanson rattles the post. So close to a leveller.

70' The game is end-to-end now, Montgomery goes close for City with a looping header that she sends wide.

73' Sub for City, Docherty for Corsie

74' Lauder with a good run down the left plays an inviting cross in but it is superbly cleared by Megan Foley.

77' City sub: Cuthbert for Grant.

80' Erin Cuthbert with an immediate impact after coming on. She volleys from inside the six yard line but Halbert gets down well to save it.

81' Goal City.

An unfortunate deflection in off a Rangers defender sees City go 2:0 up.

87' Rangers continue to battle for every ball despite the deficit. Clare Gemmell has the ball in the net but is flagged for offside.

Great moment for @StephanieeKnox as she makes her comeback from a lengthy spell on the sidelines. She replaces Gill Sloey.

FULL TIME: Two second half goals for City knock Rangers out of the Scottish Cup at the semi final stage.

CRCaN2rWcAAiNSu.jpg

Despite the defeat, it looks as if the Ladies gave a good account of themselves. Denied a penalty (as of above), an off-side goal, hitting the post and scoring a unfortunate og as well, so luck deserted them a little.

Ladies: Gers 0:2 City

RANGERS LADIES are out of the Scottish Cup after a 2-0 semi-final defeat at the hands of current holders Glasgow City.

Read more here ... http://rangers.co.uk/news/ladies/ladies-gers-02-city/

BTW, much like Rangers and the Yahoos do in the men's version of the game, City regularly snatches the best players from the "smaller" teams up and thus essentially prevents anyone to match them on the park for a whole season. Yesterday, Rachel Halbert and Erin Cuthbert played for City, both former Rangers players and gifted with quite a bit of talent.

Edited by der Berliner

Chelsea Ladies beat Glasgow City 3-0 in Glasgow, and Sone Aluko's sister scored their opening goal.

http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/frauen/uefacup/champions-league-frauen/2015-16/1/3244474/torschuetzen_glasgow-city-lfc-frauen-15874_chelsea-lfc-22023.html

https://twitter.com/GlasgowCityFC

Edited by der Berliner

I watched the 2nd half of that and I really have to say the standard is no more than middle class amateur in the men's game. I saw an interview with a coach last season and she was complaining of the difference of money in the men's game compared to the ladies game. well in my view before you can expect big money you have to have a product and the product in ladies professional football isn't that great.

Chelsea were a class above Glasgow city and Aluko's sister should have scored about 5 if she had a left foot. Every time she was cutting inside on to her right which gave the defenders time to block her. The GC goalkeeper kept stopping shots with her feet which saw her duffing the second goal which was easily savable. I would say I have seen better keepers playing in pub teams.

I noticed you never mentioned the small FC Twente knocking out the mighty Bayern Munich DB.:seal:

I watched the 2nd half of that and I really have to say the standard is no more than middle class amateur in the men's game. I saw an interview with a coach last season and she was complaining of the difference of money in the men's game compared to the ladies game. well in my view before you can expect big money you have to have a product and the product in ladies professional football isn't that great.

Chelsea were a class above Glasgow city and Aluko's sister should have scored about 5 if she had a left foot. Every time she was cutting inside on to her right which gave the defenders time to block her. The GC goalkeeper kept stopping shots with her feet which saw her duffing the second goal which was easily savable. I would say I have seen better keepers playing in pub teams.

I noticed you never mentioned the small FC Twente knocking out the mighty Bayern Munich DB.:seal:

First things first, you can hardly compare the men's game with the women's game. Same would hold true for ice hockey or handball or the like. Not least when there are only a selectwd few teams playing the game professionally. (Not too long ago, our Ladies paid (sic!) for playing for Rangers, not to mention organizing their league trips throughout Scotland.) Top notch women's footie can only be seen at a world cup containing the big teams from countries where the women's game is "booming", i.e. the US of A, Japan, Sweden, or Germany. In club football, the German teams usually dominate, but some more serious money has been invested in France, so they have a few good sides by now too (assembled much like their male counterparts). Other challengers may rise from Sweden.

As for Bayern ... they are not "mighty" - at least not compared to their male counterparts. In fact, Bayern Munich has invested quite heavily in women's footie and basketball these last few years and bought what good is there on the respective markets. Hence, they have mounted challenges in both sports of late, with the opposition bar a few look twice at every Euro spent. In the women's game, Frankfurt and Wolfsburg are the teams to watch, while Turbine Potsdam has fallen behind in recent years in the same way that Bayern rose. And more generally, Germans or not, "Bayern" usually splits the nation in half, with those supporting them and those who like to see them fail. And I am not of the former inclination. (Not because they are successful, but the way they and their support behave and treat the rest.)

Edited by der Berliner

Rangers welcomed on-form Hibs adies to New Tinto Park in the penultimate SWPL game on October 18th. A day best forgotten.

Full time: Rangers 0:9 Hibs

Kevin Murphy ‏@kevinmurphy06 18. Oct.

We may get knocked down on the outside, but the key to living in victory is to learn how to get up on the inside. #comebackfighting

Table and other scores: http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/swf/competitions.cfm?page=1599&competitionID=AFEFACAC-038C-54D8-189CE125A17FA360&displayID=3

Next up is Glasgow City next Sunday, last game of the season.

City secured NIAR with a defeat of Aberdeen last weekend ...

http://www.glasgowcityfc.co.uk/latest/2015/10/18/glasgow-city-win-the-swpl-title-to-secure-a-historic-9-in-a-row

Edited by der Berliner