Raman Bhardwaj

Apart from the 'look at me' syndrome, I can never understand why these people feel the need to join things such as twitter.

Probably an age thing.

Heh I'm 25 and think twitter is a joke tbh. Can land you in bother so can any social outlet nowadays.

Heh I'm 25 and think twitter is a joke tbh. Can land you in bother so can any social outlet nowadays.

I used to think like that till I learned how to use and manipulate it. You get all information for Rangers, general football and wider normal news on there once you know who to follow

I think it's a great tool

Never looked at Twitter before and dont have a clue how to use it which is a good thing.

A laugh and joke on FB is as much as I do but seeing people read out life stories is just sad.

The internet will soon either be pay as you go or a internet kill switch will be pushed and people will be lost.

I get all my Rangers info pretty much from this site.

I see this slightly differently.

Firstly let me make it clear that I don't think the greater Rangers support has a racist streak in it, I think the vast majority of our support welcome players and supporters no matter their colour, nationality or religion. Indeed I actually believe the Rangers support is far more open and welcoming to people of other races and religions than some other supports in Scotland, I think being a city based club means we are a naturally more multi-cultural club than some clubs from smaller towns are. However, my stomach turns when I see that BNP stall in Mafeking Street, with their fascist leaflets and ideology. It's not there every week but it's there often enough. As a support we tolerate its presence amongst us; why? Generally they are ignored, but I've never seen them challenged, far less seen them chased from the street, their tables overturned and leaflets trod into the dirt. I'm as guilty of turning a blind eye as anyone.

Raman Bhardwaj is a Rangers supporter, as far as I know he doesn't hide this. His tweet, that seems to have caused most reaction, doesn't call Rangers fans racists, it simply states that only Rangers fans on his timeline have defended John Terry. Let's be clear, being a Rangers supporting Scottish based presenter he'll have a disproportionately high number of Rangers supporters on his timeline so that'll be a factor, it's unlikely he's got many Chelsea fans following him. For reasons i've never been entirely clear on we seem to have sort of 'special relationship' with Chelsea. I've read that this dates back to the time of the Chelsea barracks when many Glaswegian soldiers stationed there went to see them play. Today I imagine it has a lot to do with the colour they wear and their supports propensity for waving Union flags. So some Rangers fans might feel a certain loyalty to Chelsea and their captain. For me that loyalty is very misguided though.

John Terry is a thoroughly horrible man. The son of a drug dealer he sleeps with his close friend's wife just because he can, he thought it was funny to mock Americans in a London hotel during 9/11 and he takes large cash bungs to give personal guided tours of Chelsea's training ground despite being a multi-millionaire. I don't know if he's a racist or not, but he did call Anton Ferdinand a 'fucking black cunt' during a match last season. That he was found not guilty of it was simply down to the fact England doesn't have a not provan verdict. His defence was he was trying to clear up what Ferdinand misheard, Ferdinand disputes this. Read the judge's notes on his verdict if you need clarity on that.

Why would anyone want to defend that man?

So when a Rangers supporter of Indian extraction, who will have experienced racism both casual and institutional during his life the like of which most of us will never experience, finds his timeline contains lots of people defending a horrible man who is facing a racism charge, I can understand his dismay and his disappointment.

AMMS:

That's a fair explanation and I think many of us would sympathise with your point of view.

However, Raman is not daft and it's exactly because of his own negative experiences that he should not make light of (or at least not fully explain) any issues he may have on that topic.

I enjoy Twitter a lot but in terms of debating or making points, it's rather simplistic. Perhaps Raman would benefit from writing a similar explanation as you have as to why he felt it reasonable to post about an inflammatory issue late at night in such an empirical and open-ended fashion.

If he is a Rangers fan, then he should be especially aware of just how such generalisations would be taken.

Firstly let me make it clear that I don't think the greater Rangers support has a racist streak in it, I think the vast majority of our support welcome players and supporters no matter their colour, nationality or religion. Indeed I actually believe the Rangers support is far more open and welcoming to people of other races and religions than some other supports in Scotland, I think being a city based club means we are a naturally more multi-cultural club than some clubs from smaller towns are. However, my stomach turns when I see that BNP stall in Mafeking Street, with their fascist leaflets and ideology. It's not there every week but it's there often enough. As a support we tolerate its presence amongst us; why? Generally they are ignored, but I've never seen them challenged, far less seen them chased from the street, their tables overturned and leaflets trod into the dirt. I'm as guilty of turning a blind eye as anyone.

Raman Bhardwaj is a Rangers supporter, as far as I know he doesn't hide this. His tweet, that seems to have caused most reaction, doesn't call Rangers fans racists, it simply states that only Rangers fans on his timeline have defended John Terry. Let's be clear, being a Rangers supporting Scottish based presenter he'll have a disproportionately high number of Rangers supporters on his timeline so that'll be a factor, it's unlikely he's got many Chelsea fans following him. For reasons i've never been entirely clear on we seem to have sort of 'special relationship' with Chelsea. I've read that this dates back to the time of the Chelsea barracks when many Glaswegian soldiers stationed there went to see them play. Today I imagine it has a lot to do with the colour they wear and their supports propensity for waving Union flags. So some Rangers fans might feel a certain loyalty to Chelsea and their captain. For me that loyalty is very misguided though.

John Terry is a thoroughly horrible man. The son of a drug dealer he sleeps with his close friend's wife just because he can, he thought it was funny to mock Americans in a London hotel during 9/11 and he takes large cash bungs to give personal guided tours of Chelsea's training ground despite being a multi-millionaire. I don't know if he's a racist or not, but he did call Anton Ferdinand a 'fucking black cunt' during a match last season. That he was found not guilty of it was simply down to the fact England doesn't have a not provan verdict. His defence was he was trying to clear up what Ferdinand misheard, Ferdinand disputes this. Read the judge's notes on his verdict if you need clarity on that.

So when a Rangers supporter of Indian extraction, who will have experienced racism both casual and institutional during his life the like of which most of us will never experience, finds his timeline contains lots of people defending a horrible man who is facing a racism charge, I can understand his dismay and his disappointment.

Second coming of Hitler then is he?

Angel John Terry is not but I admire him as a player and as a captain, and he was cleared of his criminal charges, you can talk about the technicalities of the verdict all you like but he was not guilty. His black friend Ashley Cole gave him a character reference, and was called something racist himself by Rio Ferdinand for his trouble.

I never actually replied to Raman initially but I do find the witch hunt against Terry staggering and do defend him generally, and that is an entitlement without being branded racist in any way, Raman needs to get over himself if that really is what he meant.

Nonetheless, in this day and age as well as the current hostile climate with regards to us, making such a rather short remark will paint us all in bad colours again. I doubt he intended it, but you would expect a certain sensibility from people like him. The media (colleagues of him) will - as they usually do - take out the story that suits their agendas and spread more negativity about us. Nothing that we actually need these days.

Racism has nothing to do with Rangers FC. John Terry is indeed an unpleasant man. If Rangers fans are defending him, why would an Indian Rangers fan see fit to comment on that sarcastically if not to make trouble for Rangers?

If he's "dismayed and disappointed" at football fans defending an unpleasant but innocent man, it sounds like Bhardwaj has personal issues which are clouding his judgement.