Slightly concerned about feedback from Green's NI trip

Listen guys. Thanks for a great debate regarding Rangers and orange strip. There have been some great posts on either side of the debate and that's a tribute to this forum as it wouldn't be allowed on other forums ie. Rangers State Media.

Anyway... maybe 2 bottles of red supplied by Mr Wolfblass may have clouded my posts somewhat and I was probably OTT. (sorry anyone?) It's just somehting that I felt strongly about and personally I wish we would tap into other aspects of our history as opposed to going down the orange route. But hey...

That what's its all about Max debate and you will never get chased on here for having an opinion, btw mines was Samuel Adams Boston Lager and just about to start again when the golf comes on. If you have another idea to promote Rangers let us know and more importantly let CG know I'm sure his E-mail address is around here somewhere. As you and I agree we are a broad church so plenty of room for everybodies ideas. :thup:

That what's its all about Max debate and you will never get chased on here for having an opinion, btw mines was Samuel Adams Boston Lager and just about to start again when the golf comes on. If you have another idea to promote Rangers let us know and more importantly let CG know I'm sure his E-mail address is around here somewhere. As you and I agree we are a broad church so plenty of room for everybodies ideas. :thup:

Cheers Govan. Sam Adams? I used to travel a lot to NY and that was my tipple of choice out there. Lovely stuff

With regards an e-mail to CG, my first port of call would be to stop messing around our feekin socks. The other night we wore blue and and white (why oh why?) and for the bulk of this season we have worn red and white. IMO we should always wear our red and black socks at all times. They are the things that make our strip distinctive and are there as a tribute to our origins. When we don't wear them our strip is rendered as a plain boring blue strip (like Everton)

While you're at it Charles I would also love a black and red striped away jersey (like the old Rangers Swifts) and maybe an all white with a blue star. For me that would be the holy trinity of Rangers strips

Agree on the socks, I know this year is a tip of the cap to 72 but the socks should always be black & red. Why not a rotational yearly thing with the Third Top one year Orange next Black&Red and then White Blue Star, although I would love your Away top to be White Blue Star with blue&white hooped socks and a mainly Red Third top.

On Sam Adams it got recommended to me by a mate, and once you get past that it isn't actually what we would call a Lager it's bloody brilliant.

Agree on the socks, I know this year is a tip of the cap to 72 but the socks should always be black & red. Why not a rotational yearly thing with the Third Top one year Orange next Black&Red and then White Blue Star, although I would love your Away top to be White Blue Star with blue&white hooped socks and a mainly Red Third top.

On Sam Adams it got recommended to me by a mate, and once you get past that it isn't actually what we would call a Lager it's bloody brilliant.

Sounds like a plan. I genuinly think a white strip with a 6 pointed blue star would be amazing and with Adidas hopefully getting on board it would look quite classy. A bit like the Swansea strip but with light blue trim and detailing

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/image-4-for-new-swansea-city-kit-gallery-gallery-519084547.jpg

On the beer front...do you like the Brooklyn Brewery range of lagers/beers?

Only read page 1 but what sprung to mind is get Orange Network as our sponsor. Then there is reason for an orange strip.

We've always had a bit of dutch connections so thats the way I see our link to Orange also. Nothing else.

Sounds like a plan. I genuinly think a white strip with a 6 pointed blue star would be amazing and with Adidas hopefully getting on board it would look quite classy. A bit like the Swansea strip but with light blue trim and detailing

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/image-4-for-new-swansea-city-kit-gallery-gallery-519084547.jpg

On the beer front...do you like the Brooklyn Brewery range of lagers/beers?

A good beers a good beer always on the look out for another new one to try, was going to get the American taster case from Beers of Europe, but recommend away mate.

Very eloquently put and all that, but "those of us" that you seem to be aiming at are still left with the same question after digesting the contents of your very admirable response. Who the fuck are we trying to win over here and send out "positivity messages" to? Who is waiting to join or ranks if we get our PR right? You my friend are also very naive in my eyes despite your academia.

Epic fail. Plainly I was not eloquent enough.

Who the fuck I am sending out my message to is Rangers fans, now or in the future.

ps: I forgot to say that I don't share the usual Scottish fear & mistrust of having a brain, speaking properly, being able to construct a sentence etc. Mentioning me and academia in the same grammatical clause is something I take as a compliment.

Edited by andy steel

This is the issue. If someone from Northern Ireland asks Rangers to launch an orange strip, it is not because it is a nice colour.

Those of you claiming it's just a colour must know nothing about Ulster history, which is odd considering 'heritage' has featured heavily so far.

Those of you claiming handwringers are scared of offending other fans are ignoring the fact that to import elements of Ulster history - which is what this is doing, Scottish Orangeism has always been marginal and without the perceived Rangers 'connection' would have died out years ago - sends out no message of positivity or inclusivism. It's odd to imagine that buying into the culture of one of Europe's least impressive societies to make money/support a cause improves Rangers...if 10,000 Kosovan refugees from Knightswood decide to buy season tickets, do we launch a strip in the colours of the KLA?

Those of you struggling to contain your righteous anger and claims of timposter-ism might care to ponder that for at least one fan, Rangers stand for all this is best in Scotland. There's absolutely no way - none - to include Orangeism in that definition. Link us to the OO, Charles, and you diminish Rangers in my eyes. It was hard to swallow when that epitome of British capitalism, David Murray, was at the helm, and if I hadn't had my head in the sand I would have been even less comfy in my seat.

To many on this thread that will mean nothing. As one poster, in a fit of ecumenicalism, pointed out, those who would feel mega-uncomfy with an orange top wouldn't be missed. Good to know that we're a broad church as long as you toe the line.

Anyway, we've been here before and the overall result is usually that more fans like Orangey stuff than find it a regressive expression of social and personal alienation. The Orangey crowd always win out, so no need to get too grumpy.

You make some great points Andy. Maybe too many isms right enough! :D