Le guen rejects barthez

Rangers boss Paul Le Guen turned down the opportunity the sign France goalkeeper Fabien Barthez, it has been revealed.

The 34-year-old is currently looking for a new club following his departure from Marseille at the end of last season.

With Ronald Waterreus tipped to be heading out of Ibrox this summer Le Guen is known to be chasing a new keeper, but he has identified other targets ahead of Barthez.

The former Manchester United man's agent explained that Barthez was offered to Rangers, but that Le Guen was not interested.

"I know Paul Le Guen very well from his time in France and had a friendly discussion about the possibility of Fabien going to Rangers," said Jean-Marie Cantona, brother of Eric.

"I knew Paul wanted to change his goalkeeping position at Rangers but he didn't want to take on Fabien.

"He has other options and I respect him for that."

Paris Saint Germain shot-stopper Lionel Letizi is in line to become the new Rangers number one, while Barthez looks likely to join Toulouse.

Barthez would of been quite a decent signing, he brings a lot of character. I wouldnt of been to confident at times but he wouldnt of gave us a dull moment.

Id like to see us being stable in goal from the off next season though. So if its Letzi (sp) then so be it, lets get behind him.

TBH I'd go for Barthez over Letizi as long as it wasn't going to break the bank. As well as a bringing a bit of character to the place, it would be a good high profile signing and the guy has done it all. I know he's got a reputation for doingthe odd stupid thing, but most keepers do and with him he's been playing at such a high profile of club, that his mistakes are usually pretty high profile.

I'd have been pleased to have him in between the sticks for a season or 2 is PLG was waiting to sign the right, young keeper. As it is, Letizi is a bit of an unknown and those that have seen him play don't seem too impressed. But we have to give PLG the benefit of the doubt.

Can't say I want either to be honest...

:(

Lol, there is that!

Its all a bit confusing, does this mean he wanted Klos to be our number 1? If he had wanted to sign a young keeper, Klos' injury wouldn't change things, would it?

Not sure mate.

Klos might make a return but I doubt it given his alleged poor attitude etc.

Maybe we'll be signing somone else but again, I doubt we can afford to have AN Other, Klos, Letizi/Barthez and McGregor