Fran Stella for the offski....

You have to question the management team signing him in the first place although, unless he was a master con artist in his trial.

Have you ever made a purchase you regretted or took back for some reason? Does that make you a clueless person? Really weird way of looking at things especially with the esoteric task of putting a football squad together. I'd imagine EVERY manager has brought in a young player and after a while of assessing him found him below the standard of the team. Or perhaps they should do a Souness and sub someone on and off in the same game due to a hoax recommendation.

Sometimes something looks good, you take it on cheap for a while to have a look at it and then decide it's not suitable. I really don't see the problem with that. The guy is 20 and cost nothing. He just didn't show he was of the same standard as the rest of the squad.

Why do we always seem to have bleeding hearts about this sort of thing?

This was the lad that Ally said had something a wee bit special about him and would get you off your seat, not much chance Ally if you don't give the guy a chance. Another Ally signing that hasnt came to anything and Green wants to give him 10 million in a years time god help us.

He DID get a chance and blew it. Why play a player that is not showing he's up to the grade? Ally takes on a 20 year old for free, he's not showing he's good enough in training to get in the team, he wants to try his luck elsewhere and the manager let's him and that means the manager shouldn't be given money to spend...

Or perhaps we can see that on a limited budget we're 19 points ahead. Some of his signings must have come good. In fact he only had one relatively big money signing and he looks pretty good.

It's amazing that people think that a manager who is 19 points at the top of the league is terrible at signing players because he let a free 20 year old go...

It's amazing that people think that a manager who is 19 points at the top of the league is terrible at signing players because he let a free 20 year old go...

I think that's a weeeee bit harsh. Stella is just another to be added to the list.

From memory, the only stand out signing that McCoist has made so far is Templeton. Cribari, Faure, Argyriou, Black and Kyle have so far not really stood out. I would say there is still hope for Sandaza after the last performance. That's just been this season. You could then add Matt McKay to the list.

When you consider that we are not in a position to carry excess baggage, making the right decisions on players is imperative.

I think that's a weeeee bit harsh. Stella is just another to be added to the list.

From memory, the only stand out signing that McCoist has made so far is Templeton. Cribari, Faure, Argyriou, Black and Kyle have so far not really stood out. I would say there is still hope for Sandaza after the last performance. That's just been this season. You could then add Matt McKay to the list.

When you consider that we are not in a position to carry excess baggage, making the right decisions on players is imperative.

Templeton and Wallace are his only quality signings so far IMO.

Have you ever made a purchase you regretted or took back for some reason? Does that make you a clueless person? Really weird way of looking at things especially with the esoteric task of putting a football squad together. I'd imagine EVERY manager has brought in a young player and after a while of assessing him found him below the standard of the team. Or perhaps they should do a Souness and sub someone on and off in the same game due to a hoax recommendation.

Sometimes something looks good, you take it on cheap for a while to have a look at it and then decide it's not suitable. I really don't see the problem with that. The guy is 20 and cost nothing. He just didn't show he was of the same standard as the rest of the squad.

Why do we always seem to have bleeding hearts about this sort of thing?

To be fair you're the only one who has used that term in this exchange.

In general I think too many signings have been wastes for us in more modern times, not claiming Ally is alone.

Aaarrrggh!! Why do I feel the need to bite every fucking time? Mug's game being an ally basher basher, better you than me Cal. But seriously, Coisty has spunked millions down the shitter. Oh no wait, he hasnt. It's been the most traumatic time in 140 years yet we are miles ahead of the teams that are put in front of us, using the resources at our disposal. :brick:

You mean the only current signings he spent money on?

McLeish hardly ever spent transfer fees and still gets slaughtered for his signings to this day.

They say there's no such thing as a free transfer in football which is probably about right when wages, signing on fees, agent fees etc come into it.

Did McLeish get much slaughtering his signings for for being way ahead in the league? I don't recall so. McLeish was slaughtered for finishing third with no trophies and a budget that was huge compared to the rest of the SPL whom he struggled against in his last season. He lasted four and half years up till then.

When you're more than 10 points behind (as he often was) then you're going to get slaughtered.

McCoist may have far more resources that our current opposition BUT there is no chance of him finishing behind one of them. It's akin to slaughtering Eck in his first season and a half. Or even the Helicopter Sunday season.

However, you're probably right - the criticism is so unfounded now that it's likely the same people would be slaughtering ANY manager for their signings, no matter how well they do. Oh wait, they did, Walter was an immensely successful legend and people slaughtered him all the time for his signings in both his tenures.