Odds on Rangers being punished for fan behaviour at Tannadice?

Imagine the level of frustration it actually takes to go out, spend money on a ticket and a blue, red and white scarf and act like a fan of a club I despise to miscredit it's supporters. Jesus that really sounds like a lot of hurt feelings.

Is it not the case that Dundee United have sold tickets directly to Rangers and Celtic for all matches at Tannadice in recent times? I don't envisage any trouble inside the ground but am not sure the arrangement to sell tickets directly is breaking any rule or, indeed, is in any different to any normal match. Anyway, lets hope the match passes without incident and we can get a positive result.

With the SPL rule book and from events over the last 12 months Id fully expect blame to be put on RFC before anything else. I really doubt any genuine Rangers fan at the game will cause the slightest bit of trouble therefore as the club have refused tickets and Utd sold them direct should any trouble occur background checks will have to come into play on those involved.

I cant see there being touble unless there is split fractions of idiots who claim to be fans of other clubs imposting as a Ger fan.

Genuine question - is that right? Or is it a guideline?

If anything, DU should be charged if there is any trouble, for failing to manage ticket sales & seating appropriately. All to make a quick buck.

They have a legal duty of care to those people who enter their ground. It could easily be argued that given the atmosphere around this fixture Dutd were acting negligently in selling tickets to people that they could not reasonably be sure were real Rangers fans. There are 40 gazillion guidelines which become redundant once the basic one of not selling tickets to non-supporters has been breached.

I'm not sure about this, but is there actually a guideline/rule to seperate home from away support? If they sell tickets for the "by default allocated" away-end to non-away supporters, do they breach these guidelines? Will the manage to seperate Rangers supporters from the Arabs and their cohorts - like sheperding all "visibly" Rangers fans into one end of the ground, no matter what sort of tickets they have?

I can see DU coming out with 'Well we were against a boycott in the first place, if Rangers had accepted their allocation as they should have, none of this would have happened.'

Blame sidestepped in one easy motion. Something we HAVE to ensure doesn't happen.

I sincerely hope nothing happens at the game

These last three seasons has seen Dundee United in the UEFA dock. There has been fighting both inside and outside Tannadice and the Arabs have been fined and warned as to future behaviour.

At the beginning of this season, elements of United's corporate support climbed up on to the deck above and proceeded to swap punches with the away support. It is this aspect that provides most concern. The 200 supporters in the away end had better be well protected by both stewards and police; otherwise Dundee United could find themselves back in the dock.

Dundee United chairman Stephen Thompson hopes Rangers can "come on board" along with all other clubs in order to progress the Scottish game.

United host Rangers in the Scottish Cup on Saturday, with the visitors having not taken up their ticket allocation.

That measure was taken after United's opposition to Rangers being in the Scottish Premier League this season.

"Personally for the sake of Scottish football, I think we should move on," Thompson told BBC Scotland.

McCoist echoed Thompson's comments that it was time to "move one"

"It's a game of football after all. That's what I'm looking forward to.

"We are in the middle of reconstruction talks and the game is moving forward.

"We have got all SPL clubs together to move forward for the future and I think we all need to get together, every single club in Scotland, and it would be good for them [Rangers] to come on board as well."

United were not alone in voting against Ibrox chief executive Charles Green's application to take over the SPL share Rangers lost following financial problems but the Glasgow club's fans regarded Thompson as one of the most outspoken figures on the issue.

And, when Third Division Rangers were drawn to face the Tangerines at Tannadice, the visitors elected to boycott the match.

"I'm disappointed because it's a big game for both clubs and would have been a full house," said Thompson, who appointed Jackie McNamara as the club's new manager this week.

Continue reading the main story

The other clubs didn't put them [Rangers] in the position they are in

Stephen Thompson

Dundee United chairman

"They have made their decision, they are entitled to do that and I wouldn't like to enter into that kind of discussion.

"I was on the SPL board at the time when things arose. The other clubs didn't put them in the position they are in.

"It's up to their own fans to decide how they got where they are. I don't want to re-write the history books either."

Rangers manager Ally McCoist feels the time has come to "take the sting out of the whole situation".

"The club have taken the stance not to take any tickets for the game," he said.

"That stance has been made and hopefully it's just a one-off and we can move on."

Meanwhile, Thompson revealed there will be around 300 Rangers fans at the game with "very strict security measures being put in place inside the stadium and outside".

"We are quite happy everything will be fine," he added.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21302841