Strachan to pick Rangers' Lee Wallace in first Scotland squad

Gordon Strachan is to court controversy with his first squad as Scotland's manager by naming Rangers' Lee Wallace in the party to face Estonia at Pittodrie.

Strachan will unveil his maiden squad at a press conference in Aberdeen at Thursday lunchtime. Included in the group will be the 25-year-old Wallace, despite Rangers' current position in Scotland's Division Three.

Wallace has six international caps and has been a consistently impressive performer since breaking through as a teenager at Hearts. His position, left-back, is also a troublesome one at present for Scotland's national team.

However, an element of the Scottish support will inevitably question why a player who performs in the domestic game's lowest professional tier should be worthy of an international place.

Craig Levein, Strachan's predecessor, said it would be "difficult" to pick Rangers players but did hand one of them, Ian Black, a late call-up for a friendly meeting with Australia. Black was booed when he appeared as a substitute in that game.

The Estonia fixture is Strachan's only non-competitive match before he begins his quest to haul Scotland from the bottom of their World Cup qualifying section. The Scots face Wales and Serbia in March.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/30/gordon-strachan-lee-wallace-rangers-scotland

Players shouldn't be picked based upon what league they're playing in anyway.

Despite Strachan having a good knowledge of the game down south, I hope he signals the end to players getting picked based on them playing at a supposedly higher level. Especially the ones who aren't actually playing as they can't get a game.

Being match fit has to count for more than the league your club's playing in.

I'm not sure yet if I like the idea of any Rangers player playing for Scotland just now!

The way Im looking at it is they are representing the country and themselves rather than any organisation called SFA. Duncan Ferguson spoke the other day about his regret not playing for Scotland and he believed he could have broke Dalglish's cap record, therefore if Wallace and other players want to get international caps then Im all for it.

bardsley and fox are good players and playing at a much higher level. I also like Dixon personally.

if I was Scotland manager I would have those 3 ahead if Wallace because he's in the third division.

Can't follow that line of thought. Players are chosen by current form and ability, not the league they are playing in. The Scots will be playing Estonia, not Spain or France ... though even that would not matter. Bardsley (ain't he a right-back?) has played 10 games in total this season.

Guardian

However, an element of the Scottish support will inevitably question why a player who performs in the domestic game's lowest professional tier should be worthy of an international place.

Yes, it will be the trolls that usually inhabit Pittodrie, folk who seek just another excuse to have a go at a Rangers player.