I Love Ally McCoist

Actually never wanted something so much for Ally to succeed, but wanting something and getting it are two different things unfortunately.

Irrespective of his record as manager, he will always be one of my Rangers greats along with Greig and many more. I mean its Ally what's not to love. :)

One of my favourite memories of McCoist:

Ally suffered a horrendous leg break playing for Scotland v Portugal in Lisbon in March, (I think at that point he was on 49 goals for us) and the leg break put him out of action for 6 months or so.

Anyhow, the following season, in McCoist's comeback game, we were playing Hibs in the league cup final at the old Darkhead and with the game tied at 1-1 (in extra time maybe? Can't remember) McCoist came on as a sub to score an overhead kick.

Fairytale stuff from Ally.

I get totally, where you're coming from Amms - totally.

Some of the criticism of McCoist on these boards has been utterly shameful. People can criticise his team selection, his tactics, his motivational skills or his coaching - but when they start attacking the man with some of the invective we have seen here, they can hand in their scarves at the door on their way out and fuck off, because they are not real Rangers fans.

My favourite Ally moment, wasn't a moment as such, but rather a period of time, where he was dropped by Souness in favour of Mojo.

Ally had been the fans' favourite and the 'star' of the club and this was a fairly public slap in the face, with Souness telling the world that Cosity wasn't as good as Mojo.

Any other player would have gone away in the huff, thrown the toys out the pram and done a number on the manager behind his back to the press. McCoist's reaction was to get the head down keep doing what he was doing and keep being a team player, keeping the spirit in the dressing room high. One time he even took a teapot out to the bench.

That says it all about McCoist. Quality, dignity and class from top to bottom.

The jury may still be out on his managerial ability but even if he doesn't turn this present shambles around, he is and will always be Super Ally, the Greatest Ever Ranger.

My husband's gran wrote a letter to Souness about Ally being dropped and how it was a disgrace and couldn't Mr Souness see that Ally is a lovely boy and a cracking player. :D

He sent her a personal reply and assured her not to worry, Ally would find his way back in.

She died last year and she had left a box full of replies to letters she sent, she wrote to everyone! She even wrote to the Pope because her friend who was catholic was sick and could the pope think of her in his prayers as her friend would like that.

My favourite mccoist goal/moment was at parkhead....

Terry Hurlock tackles, the enemy fans scream foul, ball returns to Hurlock, through pass to McCoist running in on Bonnar.

A couple of dummy's later bonnar is on his arse and Ally is rolling the ball into the empty net.

Ally then proceeds to jumps the ad hording and re- inacts his dummy's in front of the gers fans, brilliant stuff.

Iv'e not met a Rangers Fan yet who doesn't love Super he has become a bigger Legend due to him sticking by the club in our worst period of History, he could have walked away and thought fuck this but he stood by our Club.

Due to his first season in charge which was a disaster being knocked out of Europe twice to minnows and costing our club millions another manager may have been sacked, being knocked out of 2 domestic cups and tossing a heavy lead to lose our crown to celtic Ally sticking by the club has kept him in the job IMO..

Being thrown into the depths of Scottish football Ally had to assemble a team with no pre-season and bring in new players to bring the squad numbers up, he brought in experience SPL players and mixed Youth to get a team on the park playing football fans were looking forward to. Were now 14 games to go till end of season and with the Div 3 league there to be won our season has mixed feelings again knocked out of 3 domestic cups and the football style and fitness of players being questioned again..

Ally for me needs to get rid of pals act and bring in new management team who can bring new fresh ideas to the club and whole set up as it stands if nothing changes and improves i see Mr Green having to make a decision he wants to make or not...

There is no question about everyones effection for Ally when looking at him as a player, Ive countless top memories. One that sticks out is his 300th goal for the club which me and 3 school mates earned a detention for skipping classes. It was against Aberdeen on a Friday night league match in November 1994, it had been moved to the Friday as the stadium needed prepared the following day so Raith could beat Celtic in the League Cup final on the Sunday. We needed the afternoon off to get to the game on time.

It was the only goal in the 1-0 win.

Cross field pass against Motherwell Ally on the run without even looking up or breaking stride Ally chips the ball into the far corner of the net from 20 yards, over the goalie who stood and watched it float over him. I just stood there speechless it was that good.

Taking the ball on his chest from a pass against Aberdeen with his back to goal and turning and twisting one movement to volley it into the top corner probably one of the greatest goals I've ever seen.

Meeting the man for the first time ever and him talking to me for 20 mins as if I was the important guy and I was doing him a favour.

Wanting so much for him to be one of the great Rangers managers it hurts and it hurting even more when it looks like it won't happen.

2. Off the pitch. In the late 80s Radio Clyde, no doubt when the programme controller was on holiday, broke away from their chart friendly perky presenter led shows and produced a short series of interviews with sports people. Being Glasgow this was mainly footballers with maybe Tom McKean thrown in as a token â??other sportâ??. It was a Desert Island Discs type of format with a presenter probing the interviewee on their life story, career highs and lows and other interests. As the presenter chosen was Chick Young the questions rarely rose above superficial banter and suggested nightclub escapades. Each â??starâ?? chose half a dozen or so records culminating in a favourite.

Footballers at that time were no more culturally aware than they are now. They liked mainstream pop, as predictable as it was forgettable. Perhaps a Simple Minds or U2 track was as good as it got.

Ally McCoist, as well as being the most engaging guest chose a wide and eclectic range of songs culminating the 1977 song â??Do Anything You Wanna Doâ?? by Punk band Eddie and the Hot Rods.

Ally zigged when everyone else zagged. Ally was a hipster.

[video=youtube_share;weQ4oNk7Pqc]