I Love Ally McCoist

3. The biggest stage

Rangers won the league for the first time in my adult life in 1987. I was a child in the 70s and my formative Rangers years were of us being the third, fourth and, at times the fifth, best team in the country. Character building days. So when Rangers won the league in 1987 for someone in their mid teens like I was, not only was it the first time I’d seen them win the league but also the first time I see them play in the European Cup.

There was much anticipation of this. We were managed by European Cup winner and whilst we didn’t really think we could win the trophy it was felt we could make some progress. So it was a blow when the draw paired us with one of the strongest sides in the continent, Dynamo Kiev.

The Kiev side was legendary; they were not only the reigning Soviet Union champions but also UEFA Cup holders. A genuine European force they provided most of the Soviet Union side and were in reality the de facto Ukrainian national side and were managed by a true football visionary, Valeriy Lobanovskyi.

In truth the draw could really not have been harder. Adding to their vast talent and experience was fitness and match sharpness, the Soviet league played through the summer, Kiev were at the their peak, we were still showing early season rustiness.

The away leg was first and we lost 1-0. It was a credible result but in knock-out, two legged football away goals were seen as essential to progress and we didn’t have one. We’d need to beat the Uefa Cup Holders by 2 clear goals at home.

The phrase ‘Ibrox was buzzing’ is an overused cliché, but for once it was accurate. There was great expectation, a degree of fearfulness but also hope among the support. We were playing a great side but in those heady days it felt like anything was possible, we were up for it, but were the team?

They were, kick-off needed to be taken twice as our forwards were literally on top of the Kiev players before they’d even touched the ball. Our first goal was a comedic affair, the Kiev keeper attempted to throw the ball out only to hit the back of his own player. Who was first to react, who do you think? McCoist! Ally pounced, stabbing the loose ball to his strike partner Mark Falco who scored the easiest and most memorable goal of his career.

We needed another though and in the second half McCoist provided it. As headers go it wasn’t textbook, indeed the more uncharitable might describe it as a fluke. But in the net it settled and Rangers were in control. McCoist made the first and scored the second and Rangers had arguably one of their finest ever European results.

More than most Ally contributed to probably the best European performance I’ve ever witnessed from a Rangers side.

Edited by amms

That shows just how much the man has on his mind when he can't even remember to get petrol in his car!

Nice positive thread amms, thanks! :lover:

Green probably siphoned it..... he is, after all, stealing everything else at Rangers :fish:

Hilarious, only McCoist would get away with that.

Best non-goal. Super holds that record as well as all his others.

At Pittodrie pre-Souness. Somebody lumps the ball out of defence towards Ally positioned with his back to the goal he's attacking, half way in from the left touchline about 25 + yards from goal, closely superintended by Willie Miller. Ally chests it down, instant foot control and a turn easing Miller out of the way and a right foot screamer high into the Aberdeen net with Leighton rooted on the goal line.

What a goal! But no - away out on the right half way to Peterhead, Durrant or Cooper is standing offside under the old rules. Goal chalked off.

Miller was a top defender. That sort of thing didn't often happen to him.

Never forget the noise at the end of this game, rendition of the "billy boys" was absolutely deafening awaiting the final whistle. Arguably the best atmosphere I can recall in all the years.

The Dynamo Kiev game that is!

Ally is a real proud EK man, and he actually has lots a pals in EK who support that mob, but he is shit hot at taking the piss out of them. We played Albion Rovers at Ibrox in one of the cups and a guy called Tony Gallagher (guess who he supports?) was playing for them. Tony has been telling Ally for weeks what he is going to do to him. Anyway, the bold Tony sees his opportunity and throws his (big) bulk at Ally. AM nutmegs him (makes a whopping noise in the process), and then when play stops, produces a main stand ticket from God knows where in his shorts and says "here Tony - you will need that to get back in to the game big man".

Best non-goal. Super holds that record as well as all his others.

At Pittodrie pre-Souness. Somebody lumps the ball out of defence towards Ally positioned with his back to the goal he's attacking, half way in from the left touchline about 25 + yards from goal, closely superintended by Willie Miller. Ally chests it down, instant foot control and a turn easing Miller out of the way and a right foot screamer high into the Aberdeen net with Leighton rooted on the goal line.

What a goal! But no - away out on the right half way to Peterhead, Durrant or Cooper is standing offside under the old rules. Goal chalked off.

Miller was a top defender. That sort of thing didn't often happen to him.

I remember the Beach End back in the days when we got it singing "two hundred thousand abortion" over and over again to McCoist as we were getting humped 3-0 by the Sheep, was just after Jock Wallace came back.

Alex McLeish gave me the two fingered salute that day too......:(

That Kiev atmosphere sounded awesome, its a shame we allow the authorites to take that kind of atmosphere away these days.

One of the biggest insults to McCoist is anyone comparing Boyd with him. When you watch videos of McCoist especially in the late 80s and early 90s you can see he wasnt just a poacher, he was far more mobile with masses more effort, he got involved far more and had much more ability in his all round game and he was playing against a higher standard of opposition then.

Edited by Gribz