They want Rangers back !!

DAVID LONGMUIR last night refused to rule out Rangers playing in a higher league next season.

It had been anticipated the Ibrox club would be stuck in the bottom tier under league reconstruction plans even if, as expected, they win the Third Division title this season.

But the SFL chief executive insists no decision has been taken on where Rangers will be placed if the proposed 12-12-18 set-up is approved.

Longmuir said: â??The honest answer is that there have been no discussions yet as to where Rangers will play if they go on to win the Third Division.

â??Weâ??re still debating whether we should proceed with the 12-12-18 model or, perhaps, invite two new clubs to join and switch to 12-12-10-10.

â??Thatâ??s a decision which needs to be made and we would hope to vote on the issue as soon as possible.

â??Obviously, if we decide on four leagues then the question is irrelevant because they will play in the third one.â?

However, asked if Rangers would be catapulted into the second tier if clubs decide to go with the original proposal, Longmuir said: â??Iâ??m sure that will be considered along with all the other options.â?

By

Craig Burley

It's time to get Rangers back in the SPL, Neil.

THE SPL is not the same without a proper title scrap and this won't happen again until Rangers are back in the running.

THE Rangers titles fiasco is over – in the eyes of the panel anyway – and our game’s rulers must now show the leadership that has been sorely lacking.

SPL chief Neil Doncaster has to call his member clubs around the table and demand Gers return to the top flight in time for next season.

When SPL clubs voted against reintroducing the Ibrox newco last summer it was a disastrous moment of incompetence.

The chairmen tried to take the moral high ground by pandering to their fans but even they must now realise it was a huge mistake.

Those who believe the SPL has become more competitive without Rangers are living in cloud cuckoo land.

Chairman up and down the country secretly dream of the Ibrox cash cow joining the fold whilst publicly peddling the same old tosh that all is well.

There are clubs that have performed beyond expectation – with Inverness the perfect example.

While Celtic win this league in reverse there’s a real dog fight for the best of the rest – and good luck to those involved.

But it’s just not the same without a proper title scrap and that won’t come until Gers are back.

I understand the argument that Rangers want to return to top-flight football the natural way.

Their fans are also keen to do that but that’s not the issue here – it’s about the bigger picture.

If the scowling and bitterness doesn’t recede then we don’t stand a cat in hell’s chance of moving forward.

Part – if not all – of the problem is that our governing bodies feel the need to act as soon as some Philistines shout from the rooftops.

The SPL appointed an independent commission to examine whether Rangers failed to register payments to players properly from 2000-2011.

The panel delivered their verdict on Thursday and decided to fine the oldco £250,000. But what was the point in shedding out thousands on legal fines to fine a company that can’t actually pay?

With the game on its a*** and most clubs struggling to keep their heads above water couldn’t time, money and energy have been utilized better than this farce?

I’ve never been in favour of stripping titles – what does it change?

When issues like the Rangers saga pop up you need strong governance but it has been limp.

Doncaster and his SFA counterpart Stewart Regan have been here long enough to realise that if trudging back over old ground was a sport then Scotland would be the world champions.

So ignore the agendas and claptrap, stop flapping around and deal with the real issues that surround the game.

These two must step up to the plate now and show vision and leadership – or step aside.

Oh how I am loving all this.

Quite clearly the impartial media has been told to soften the blow as suddenly it's all about 'get rangers back'.

Personally, I'd like at least another year without Celtic. It's been nice not having anything to do with them.

Besides, being back at the top now would STILL make us uncompetitive, all the powers that be know that. This is part saving their ass, and part trying to humiliate us further.

No ta.

1st division MAXIMUM

Rangers aren't ready for the SPL at the moment.....and neither are the fans (IMHO).

There is probably still a lot of resentment & hostility towards many SPL clubs (quite rightly too...). If we were jumped back into the SPL, there would be a lot of ill feeling from both sides, which could escalate into further trouble - which we would obviously get blamed 100% for...

Now that all the major investigations have been found in our favour, I think another season in the lower leagues at least is required to let all those feelings settle somewhat. It would also give the club a chance to enhance the squad to something more suitable to tackling the SPL.

When we return to the top, we want to ensure it is to the top & not mid-table!!! We also want to ensure that the fans continue to show why they are the best, and don't get drawn into possible conflict with the opposition.

They talk about the 'cash cow' that is Rangers, and in terms of attracting/retaining TV companies and sponsors they are right. But in terms of attendances i'll never set foot in another SPL ground again (excluding Ross County and Dundee), and I imagine a lot of people feel the same.

THE Rangers titles fiasco is over – in the eyes of the panel anyway

Is Burley having a dig at the SPL, SFA and clubs here or is he on the bandwagon that he thinks it shouldnt be over?

They talk about the 'cash cow' that is Rangers, and in terms of attracting/retaining TV companies and sponsors they are right. But in terms of attendances i'll never set foot in another SPL ground again (excluding Ross County and Dundee), and I imagine a lot of people feel the same.

Given that some people still attended the game against Dundee United despite everything that was said by the club and fans, not to mention the recent history between the clubs, I'm skeptical that any sort of boycott would be very effective once we're back in the top division.

I do agree with what a lot of you have been saying here about it being too soon for us to return, but I can't help maintaining the position that I would gladly accept a quicker return purely because I don't think (and never have) that we should have been forced to start at the bottom.

It might be too soon to return, but it's not too soon for Scottish football to do the right thing by it's biggest and most successful club. It's not too soon for Scottish football to right the wrongs it's done to Rangers in recent times.

I don't expect the SFA, SPL or anyone to apologise because they're run by a bunch of liars (liars like Regan & Doncaster) in complete denial of any wrongdoing on their part, but I would see our reinstatement back in the top league as vindication and an unwritten apology of sorts.

There's been people saying that any such action would be more for their benefit than ours, but with the increased broadcasting, sponsorship and prize money revenues on offer, the truth of the matter is that we would benefit from a swift return more than any of the other clubs and personally speaking, I think we deserve it.

Is Burley having a dig at the SPL, SFA and clubs here or is he on the bandwagon that he thinks it shouldnt be over?

He's trying to crawl back to us, but leaving the back door open to scoot back to the 'fold' just in case. No thanks.