Loyalty Needs to Work Both Ways

The vast majority of 1st div players are all working outside football in full time work , teachers , plumbers , brickiets etc etc , to actually believe that they should give up their jobs in this economy to play possibly 1 maybe 2 years for us on £1 000 a week was never an option IMHO

And in building a squad capable of winning SFL3 would have required us to dismantle it for SFL2 - that is as short-sighted as simply signing players each year as we move through the leagues too.

GA, we arent spending THAT much more money than we would have been anyway. We brought in seasoned pros who still have plenty of years left in them (Kyle aside) so these guys, if performing, could very easily have saved us money by the time we got back to the SPL - Whittaker, McGregor et al were on how much in the SPL ? Yet we got these guys for a fraction.

Templeton and Shiels have proven themselves in the SPL as have Sandaza and Black (although I have personally never liked Black as a player and was very disappointed we signed him - but he has that combatative edge that SFL3 needed, so it is easy to see why McCoist signed him.

Also, sadly, whether we like it or not, a premium would have had to be paid to get these guys to drop 3 divisions to play for us. Counter-intuitive I know but that is how these things work - they are effectively giving up 3 yrs of their career in the top flight, so you have to compensate them for that.

Keeping the money in the bank for "when it is needed" is also a short-sighted view too. You are one of the many, me included, who want this new "philosophy"... yet want us to keep money in the bank and then spend it when we get back to the SPL. What is wrong with spending it NOW on players who can help foster this philosophy that we want ? Who is to say that McCoist wasnt thinking about spending the money now to get these players in, get a philosophy on how to play football (you cant really argue too much that Shiels & Templeton are attacking players with some creativity - and Black likes to play the ball too) - and those guys are also young enough to still be playing SPL football when we get there. Kyle & Cribari are the only ones who dont fit the bill, and even with Cribari he likes to play it on the deck, though will be too old for the SPL when we get there.

Then on top of all of that nobody has known for certain, and even now we dont know for certain, what league we will be in next season. It MIGHT (though unlikely) be SPL - so these guys we were "wasting" money on could have been for just one season.

As I said, there are many factors that you are refusing to give credence to because it will never fit your "we are wasting 7 mill a year on wages to win SFL3" agenda. I for one dont see it as simplisticall as you do. There are many factors at play here and quite possibly some that neither you nor I are aware of !

Thats not what I said you build a squad to get you out of Div3&2, we built a squad that should've been good enough to finish top 6 of the SPL, were is the logic in that. SPL players should only have been looked at in Div1.

We would have plenty of players to choose from when we needed to pay them a 7K wage when the time came there was no need to panic and throw money about like we did. I would rather have tried the young approach with a few experienced lower league pros and failed the first year than spunking money we don't have.

Edited by GovanAllan

How many of our players get these 7k? Templeton, Black, Shiels ... while I assume that Wallace, McCulloch, and Alexander kept their contracts? Add to that Sandaza perhaps ... while the rest is sure not getting anwhere near that. And obviously, the pendulum swings both ways. You want a certain quality of players signing up for a fourth tier team, you have to give them some incentive (apart from playing for the greatest team this side of Saturn's rings). Maybe I am wrong, but we've probably the same income that we had last season, yet nigh all of the player receive less then a third of what most of our first team players got last season. So I doubt one can sensibly argue that we've not learned from season's past. For a club of our stature (business-wise), we certainly don't throw our money about like in times gone by. (And no, I do not start to argue about the quality we've signed and whether it is worth as much as they get. When the contracts were signed, most were happy about the players we've got.)

The maybe is superfluous, our income won't be anywhere approaching last seasons.

The maybe is superfluous, our income won't be anywhere approaching last seasons.

Well, CL and EL money wasn't great, prize money was withheld (was it not)? Compared to our turnover, what was the wages bill? That's what we were talking about.

Well, CL and EL money wasn't great, prize money was withheld (was it not)? Compared to our turnover, what was the wages bill? That's what we were talking about.

No its not I don't care what our turnover for this year is there was no need to spend 7mill to win Div3, and before you tell me again we are building for the future.

Why does our glorious leader then tell us we will need a new team for next season and will most probably lose the first few games because he's playing the kids.

I don't think last seasons finances can be used as any sort of benchmark since we still don't and possibly never will have a clear picture of them.

If you want to compare the wage bill to turnover in the SPL you'd probably have to look back to 2008-2009 for a season without Europe and that one is uneven given our summer expendature adding to an already bloated squad. You'd then need to go back to 2002-2003 for a season without Europe and the wage bill was through the roof at that point.

It might be easier to look at either of Walters last 2 seasons and deduct the income from Europe but that's not straightforward either as you have to take into account matchday revenue and possible sponsorship bonuses as well as the published figures from UEFA.

Edited by UCF2008

No its not I don't care what our turnover for this year is there was no need to spend 7mill to win Div3, and before you tell me again we are building for the future.

Why does our glorious leader then tell us we will need a new team for next season

Because we need to bring in players to improve the overall quality and balance the squad? Because he's told the existing players they're playing for their jobs?

...and will most probably lose the first few games because he's playing the kids.

I think (and actually hope) that's because Alexander and Cribari will be two of the first out the door so except for Wallace we'll likely have an inexperienced defence until Sept 1st

Because we need to bring in players to improve the overall quality and balance the squad? Because he's told the existing players they're playing for their jobs?

I think (and actually hope) that's because Alexander and Cribari will be two of the first out the door so except for Wallace we'll likely have an inexperienced defence until Sept 1st

We didn't have a squad and were about to play in Div3 what was he improving on, Alexander should've been punted this season and I agree on Cribari he should go ASAP.

But if we had blooded a few more youngsters in this league they would be ready for the step up next year not that its much of a step up.

Why does our glorious leader then tell us we will need a new team for next season and will most probably lose the first few games because he's playing the kids.

GA our Squad 2012/12

Neil Alexander

Scott Gallacher

Anestis Argyriou

Sebastian Faure

Chris Hegarty

Ross Perry

Emilson Cribari

Lee Wallace

Daren Cole

Ian Black

Kyle Hutton

Lewis MacLeod

Andrew Mitchell

Robbie Crawford

David Templeton

Fraser Aird

Barrie McKay

Francisco Stella (now gone)

Dean Shiels

Andy Little

Francisco Sandaza

Kane Hemmings

Kal Naismith

Kevin Kyle (now gone)

Lee McCulloch

Looking at our 1st team squad above and even the reserves it's hard to believe we have a £7 Million wage bill we have 22 players in the squad.....Out of the squad what players will be offloaded i believe Hemmings is out of contract at end of season. We should get a team from above to win Div 2 surely with a couple of additions ? or is above not good enough and most should be offloaded....