Gers open talks with Daly

RANGERS have opened pre-contract talks with Dundee United skipper Jon Daly â?? although an agreement has still to be reached.

United confirmed the Light Blues had written to them to say they planned to speak to Daly, above, who is out of contract in the summer.

Express Sport understands there is still a bit of work to be done after those initial talks.

Dalyâ??s agent started the negotiations around the same ball-park figures that Rangers gave to Ian Black and Francisco Sandaza when they made their switches from Hearts and St Johnstone respectively last summer.

The Rangers hierarchy, however, are keen to bring their basic wages down and want their players to earn the big money through bonuses for success on the pitch â?? including Scottish or League Cup glory.

Further talks are planned with Dalyâ??s representatives over the coming weeks â?? with the Light Blues prepared to more than double the playerâ??s current United salary.

Ally McCoist sanctioned a move for the big Irish striker after he tore his side apart in their recent Scottish Cup clash at Tannadice.

The runaway Third Division leaders are also close to a deal for Kilmarnock goalkeeper Cammy Bell and are ready to hold talks with Motherwell midfielder Nicky Law.

Express Sport understands there is still a bit of work to be done after those initial talks

Express Sport also revealed that McCoist wants to land Middlesbrough defender Andre Bikey but he must wait to see if the Championship side take up their one-year option on the player.

McCoist has cast his eye further afield to Honduran international Arnold Peralta and Mexican Under-23 striker Alan Pulido â?? who can both be signed on free transfers.

Peralta, 23, who can play right-back or midfield, is currently with Honduran side Vida. Pulido, 22, one of the best young talents in Mexico, is with local side Tigres â?? and was a £3million target for French club Bordeaux last year.

McCoist is also keen to bring Kenny Miller back to Ibrox but that deal is unlikely unless the Scotland striker agrees to take a significant wage drop.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/385541/Gers-open-talks-with-Daly?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+daily-express-football-news+%28Daily+Express+%3A%3A+Football+Feed%29

If I thought we were going to go with a team including 7 or 8 from Cole, Hegarty, McLeod, Hutton, McKay, Aird, Naismith, Crawford, Walsh, Hemmings and other youngsters i'd be more than happy to have Daly on board as one of three or four experienced players (Wallace plus two or three others) to support the youth players and help their development.

However, yet again I fully expect 7 or 8 over-the-hill experienced pros looking for a final pay day and giving half-arsed performances to be supported by 3 or 4 exciting prospects who will get continually rotated regardless of the performance of them or the experienced players.

It's soul destroying to be honest.

Interesting bits at the end ...

McCoist has cast his eye further afield to Honduran international Arnold Peralta and Mexican Under-23 striker Alan Pulido – who can both be signed on free transfers.

McCoist is also keen to bring Kenny Miller back to Ibrox but that deal is unlikely unless the Scotland striker agrees to take a significant wage drop.

Another striker, a right back, and Miller (again). You never know about signings in advance, but IMHO Daly would sure be useful against the lower-tier Scottish defenders, much like Kyle was and McCulloch is. Miller is the sort of player that can go till 37 (like Caniggia) and will bring something to your side, his workload the last time he was here was immense. I'm not exactly jumoing up and down with joy, but we have to keep in mind where we are. And obviously, we haven't signed anyone up for the first team either.

Miller has lost it all. His working holiday to Canada was a terrible move for him and his last 2 games for Scotland were awful. He was like a man down. Not to mention he's shat on us twice. I'd rather have Daly than Miller to be honest.

While I'm not unhappy @ the prospect of Daly, I still think they should be looking at bringing in younger players. Having a number of "experienced" players in the team this season hasn't really helped IMHO - they have added very little in most cases.

Bring in fresh young blood, who can excite the crowd while still scoring goals - an unknown quantity if you like.

We should also be looking for consistent players - like Papac. Never the most exciting or skillful player, but he was reliable & did his job well.

Sidenote from FF

We are in negotiations with laws reps as we speak mate, a motherwell fan at my work (shareholder) says law is a target for championship clubs but his agent is trevor steven and hes been in talks for a week or so now about the switch

I would question the wisdom of trying to bring in South or Central Americans historically players from these countries haven't done well in Scotland.

Daly could well do a job at Rangers and I dare say score a few goals. But he would be another short term fix and in 2 years when we are likely to be back in the SPL we would be looking to replace him. We need to look longer term