Gers open talks with Daly

The Ajax team that beat Milan in 95 the average age of the team that started was 25. They had 2 old heads in the team in Blind and Rijkaard and that was it.

After Rijkaard and Blind the age gap for the next youngest was 8 years.

I'm not saying Rangers could have as good a team as Ajax (but why not?) But what I will say is that they should have the same philosophy and the same set up. With 2 maybe 3 old heads but have a significant gap between them and the next youngest.

Something like this….

1. Alexander

2. New Right back

3. Wallace

4. Bocanegra

5. new centre back

6. McLeod

7. Templeton

8. new centre mid

9. Hemmings

10. Little

11. McKay

I would like to see Danny Wilson come back if he would. As for the central mid or right back i'm not sure. I would keep McCulloch but use him as a sub to help us see out games. In the background you can still have Aird , Crawford and Naismith etc. I would sell Perry, Black, Sandaza and Shiels if anybody would take them.

Doing it this way would allow the team to grow slowly but surely and I think we would end up with a helluva team

Well, they do say 'if you're good enough you're old enough'. The youngsters in that Ajax team were a lot better than good enough though.

The line-up you've suggested isn't too bad. I'd get shot of Alexander & Play McCulloch alongside Boca.

IMHO, you need to have a leader on the park. McCulloch is probably no longer the paciest man on the field, but he sure is a leader* and can read a game. I'd have him either in central defence next to a more mobile CH, or use him alongside a quick striker in attack. We have to remind ourselves that the main target is to get back to the top level ... and we will have to navigate through one or more years of lower-tier Scottish football. It is a good place to use experienced people like McCulloch and Wallace, but also to raise young talent to the demands of top-tier football. A good combination is the order of the day. Like all other football supporters, we will bicker and haggle about the qualities or shortcomings of every player we have and every player we are linked to. At the same time, we should keep in mind where we are, what we are able to get (on the market) and able to achieve with what we have. Make no mistake, a team full of youngsters may do very well for East Fife, Partick or the like, but put them out in front of 40k every other week and the demands of the Rangers support and things will look much different.

*At least more than any other chap we have.

Well, they do say 'if you're good enough you're old enough'. The youngsters in that Ajax team were a lot better than good enough though.

The line-up you've suggested isn't too bad. I'd get shot of Alexander & Play McCulloch alongside Boca.

I agree Ajax are an exceptional example and I'm not sure what lead them to play so many young players.

But ultimately we are in the same position and if our young players get proper development, game time and the right mix of seasoned pros around them. Then we could dominate Scottish Football for years to come and make a consistent impact in Europe.

IMHO, you need to have a leader on the park. McCulloch is probably no longer the paciest man on the field, but he sure is a leader* and can read a game. I'd have him either in central defence next to a more mobile CH, or use him alongside a quick striker in attack...

*At least more than any other chap we have.

We need better leadership at the back as well as more of a goal threat at set-pieces from our CH's. That's why I like the idea of keeping McCulloch there.

It's also why I suspect Daly is being looked at. Like McCulloch he's a big lad with leadership qualities who is more accustomed to a striking role but has been known to fill in at CH. I'm not sure if he'll be used purely as backup for McCulloch but he does fit that bill at least.

Edited by UCF2008

My reasons for going against playing/signing McCulloch and Daly for defensive roles are, if we need an olderhead in defence then get a defender.

What we need and have needed all season is someone who can organise the defence, not players who are drafted in from other positions.

IMO the only big money contract we should be thinking about for next season is trying to get Boca back.

My reasons for going against playing/signing McCulloch and Daly for defensive roles are, if we need an olderhead in defence then get a defender.

If we can bring in a central defender with those same qualities - Big, strong, good leader, good in the air & a goal threat then I agree.

IMO the only big money contract we should be thinking about for next season is trying to get Boca back.

Having read that he's lost his place in the US National team due to not getting a regular game in Spain's 2nd tier, I just hope he's not too jaded if/when we get him back.

Christian Dailly then!!

Dailly was a decent player. His time with us was bit-part but he had a good career down south. Even won Charlton POTY season after he left us.

We could do a lot worse than find a similar type to him.

Dailly was a decent player. His time with us was bit-part but he had a good career down south. Even won Charlton POTY season after he left us.

We could do a lot worse than find a similar type to him.

As long as it is a defender and not just anyone because they are big and can head a ball.

As long as it is a defender and not just anyone because they are big and can head a ball.

It goes without saying that any player picked to play CH should first and foremost know how to defend. That doesn't mean they have to be a defender though.

I think we get too hung up on this notion that a footballer learns to play one position and should only be used there. Both Dailly and Weir were strikers when they were younger.