Gers open talks with Daly

I think we get too hung up on this notion that a footballer learns to play one position and should only be used there. Both Dailly and Weir were strikers when they were younger.

I would rather see a dedicated defender, rather than another utility player....

I would rather see a dedicated defender, rather than another utility player....

I'm not suggesting we bring in a utility player. Just the best player for the role he's brought in to play. I couldn't care less what role he's been playing for his previous club/s.

Normally for instance if you're looking for a CH you would obviously look at available CH's first. However if you're looking for certain attributes in a player to fix a deficiency in the team (ie. no leaderhsip at the back / trouble dealing with crosses / poor distribution) then you might need to look at all the options available to find the best solution.

Don't agree, we need someone who can organise a defence, not someone who has been playing as a striker.

So you'd prefer another Cribari if we had a better option available who just happened to be playing as a striker at his last club?

What about Cuellar. If he hadn't played for us before a lot of fans would probably be complaining he's a full-back and not a proper CH.

Personally, I'd keep Jig in defence for now. What's your opinion on that?

Edited by UCF2008

My reasons for going against playing/signing McCulloch and Daly for defensive roles are, if we need an olderhead in defence then get a defender.

What we need and have needed all season is someone who can organise the defence, not players who are drafted in from other positions.

IMO the only big money contract we should be thinking about for next season is trying to get Boca back.

I don't think that the signing of Daly is being pursued because of his role as an auxiliary defender. Whether he might be used as one in times of dire need remains to be seen.

We might still see Bocanegra coming back and give some help to Hegarty (and Perry), while McCulloch does what he does best for us in recent months. At this time I'd actually rather see him in front of the defence (if Ally needs to have someone there) than Hutton. Of course, we also have Goian there back with us, unless we sell him to someone who wants him.

Personally, I'd keep Jig in defence for now. What's your opinion on that?

Thats a stop gap for me. We need to get a settled defence that can play together else every time we come up against an SPL side we'll get torn apart again. As it stands we dont have the quality at the back and it would be our weakest area which needs to be addressed first. Bocanegra seems the obvious one to bring back and if we are in SPL 2 next season he may fancy that more than where he is.

We need a complete new defence, we have an exciting attacking full back in Wallace and that's it.

Yeah and Id say that could include a goalkeeper. I dont know much about Cammy Bell but Alexander is 34 / 35. If Craig Gordon can shake off his injury problems Id like to see us go for him as no signing fee would be needed. Just last season he pulled off the best save in Premier League history!

If Bocanegra can give us another season like last then he and Wallace are a solid platform to start with.