Gers open talks with Daly

Some people think we must have a few Steven Gerrards coming through the ranks or have the cash to sign the ability of such players.

The likes of Daly far from get me near excited but if we are going to sign a few players with experience to get us back up the leagues then lets have them a) Fit b) have a desire to play for Rangers and c) have ability. Novo would give a lot more to the team than what Ian Black has done. Or should we just let Ally sign more unknowns like Argy, Faure and Cribari and hope for the best.

We shouldn't let Ally sign any more players at all

To be honest, as long as Daly (and any other signings) shows the same spirit and desire as Novo , i'd be quite happy!

That's part of the problem nowadays.....players are only interested in money (as Sandaza aptly demonstrated recently). It's rare that you have a player who is purely interested in giving his all for his club - there are still some out there, Jig possibly being one.

Ally should be told not to sign anyone over 25.

We are not a young team, and the signing of more elderly ex-SPL players is a depressing thought.

Ally shouldn't need to be told anything tbh. He's been a manager for 2 years now and before that and assistant for 5/6 years. If he can't assess our squad and see that we don't need any more over 28/29year old SPL wage suckers, then it's just another nail in his managerial coffin IMO

Ally should be told not to sign anyone over 25.

We are not a young team, and the signing of more elderly ex-SPL players is a depressing thought.

We're not an old team either... Our average age is 23.7 which isn't the youngest squad in the 3rd Division but the only SPL side as young are ICT.

We need a balance. If we've got older experienced pros then we can play more youngsters. If our experienced players were all under 25 then we'd be putting teams on the park with an avg age less than 21. That's an inexperienced side

We're not an old team either... Our average age is 23.7 which isn't the youngest squad in the 3rd Division but the only SPL side as young are ICT.

We need a balance. If we've got older experienced pros then we can play more youngsters. If our experienced players were all under 25 then we'd be putting teams on the park with an avg age less than 21. That's an inexperienced side

I would say an average age ideally about 23-25 would be good. However, you don't really want it made up of players at either end of the scale (as it is just now).

At what age would folk class a player as "experienced"??? Take you Barry McKay as an example, by the time we reach the top tier, he should have 3-4 years of 1st team experience, playing again a good variety of players, yet he'll only be about 21/22 by that time. Is that experienced???

Alexander

Argy

Hegarty

Cribari

Wallace

Crawford/Naismith

Black

Hutton

Temps

Sheils

McCulloch/Sandaza

I would say this team is a lot older than 23.

Yes we have younger players in the squad, but how many actually start on a regular basis.

You don't need to be over 30 to have experience. Not only over 30, but on the way down.

So we give a player a contract who is getting older and his football ability is diminishing, someone with no sell-on value.

Alexander

Argy

Hegarty

Cribari

Wallace

Crawford/Naismith

Black

Hutton

Temps

Sheils

McCulloch/Sandaza

I would say this team is a lot older than 23.

Yes we have younger players in the squad, but how many actually start on a regular basis.

You don't need to be over 30 to have experience. Not only over 30, but on the way down.

So we give a player a contract who is getting older and his football ability is diminishing, someone with no sell-on value.

It's true that we don't normally play a team which has an average age as low as that for our overall squad. The same could be said for most clubs.

Players gain experience based on game time and the level they're playing at. So for instance if we compare Wallace to Argyriou who are both 25 we're looking at 188 club appearances compared to 70. It's also about maturity and leadership qualities which tend to grow with maturity though.

You can maybe play an 18 year old for every player over 30. The same can't be said for every player over 25.

The Ajax team that beat Milan in 95 the average age of the team that started was 25. They had 2 old heads in the team in Blind and Rijkaard and that was it.

After Rijkaard and Blind the age gap for the next youngest was 8 years.

I'm not saying Rangers could have as good a team as Ajax (but why not?) But what I will say is that they should have the same philosophy and the same set up. With 2 maybe 3 old heads but have a significant gap between them and the next youngest.

Something like this….

1. Alexander

2. New Right back

3. Wallace

4. Bocanegra

5. new centre back

6. McLeod

7. Templeton

8. new centre mid

9. Hemmings

10. Little

11. McKay

I would like to see Danny Wilson come back if he would. As for the central mid or right back i'm not sure. I would keep McCulloch but use him as a sub to help us see out games. In the background you can still have Aird , Crawford and Naismith etc. I would sell Perry, Black, Sandaza and Shiels if anybody would take them.

Doing it this way would allow the team to grow slowly but surely and I think we would end up with a helluva team