stole this from ff. re dortmund. (a great example to us)

PS Dortmund have been poor in Europe (or not even qualified) for the last 10 years. They started this season 65th, 15 places below us, in the UEFA rankings. We have yet to see if their success is sustainable or a one season wonder.

PPS The argument would hold more water if instead of comparing us unfavourably to the best in world this year, that maybe you should be comparing us to the average over several years. If our coaching staff should be sacked due to the former then so should almost every coach in the world!

I yearn for the day when Rangers players learn to pass the ball and take advantage of dead ball situations, we've got some cracking young guys just now with a full season playing together under their belt, fingers crossed things should click into place soon.

The reality is a good Management Team would get the best out the squad we have , they haven't turned into shite players overnight. there is a good nucleus of players to build a good team playing attacking football to watch if managed properly.

Dortmund have proved it can be done at that level, QOTS proved it can be done in Div 2..

]

Again Dortmund and QOTS are terrible arguments. It's completely random. You didn't know they were going to be good at the start of the season so where is the determinism? Both teams were relatively crap the season before, so where is the provenance and sustainability?

This is about as clever as telling someone on Deal or No Deal - at the end of the program, they should have chosen to keep box 12 as it had the largest amount of money. Or telling the next contestant to pick box 12 as it was the best last time.

You're saying we have to copy the best team (compared to resources) of the season, every season, without knowing who the best will be? Even if we could predict it we'd be changing direction as often as a pin ball.

If we're gong to copy anyone it should be a club that produces consistently very good results over a long period of time, constrained by a low budget.

Both Dortmund and QOTS are not that club and you'll probably be picking different clubs next year, the same as you would have someone else last year.

I yearn for the day when Rangers players learn to pass the ball and take advantage of dead ball situations, we've got some cracking young guys just now with a full season playing together under their belt, fingers crossed things should click into place soon.

Seems to me that people want a team full of kids. They get one and low and behold they don't find them good enough...

PS Dortmund have been poor in Europe (or not even qualified) for the last 10 years. They started this season 65th, 15 places below us, in the UEFA rankings. We have yet to see if their success is sustainable or a one season wonder.

C'mon...are you at the wind up? A one season wonder? Are you forgetting they won the previous 2 Bundesliga titles before this season when Bayern where also very strong (ie. Getting to CL's finals) As for the UEFA rankings.... like the FIFA ones, they are utterly pointless.

C'mon...are you at the wind up? A one season wonder? Are you forgetting they won the previous 2 Bundesliga titles before this season when Bayern where also very strong (ie. Getting to CL's finals) As for the UEFA rankings.... like the FIFA ones' date=' they are utterly pointless.[/quote']

Yeah I remember all those stories in the news about a criminal taking hold at Dortmund, the national association dumping them in the third division amidst an atmosphere of hate from the entire German population. Didn't they then lose an entire generation of players and couldn't replace them with quality due to an illegal transfer ban? Then another bunch of crooks took over?

Aw fuck, sorry mate that was actually us wasn't it.

Not trying to get at you personally but I hate these silly threads comparing us to teams that are doing well. There's a million reasons why we can't emulate this season's achievers. There's also a good few scapegoats ripe for the ripping at our club. Hopelessness is back with a bang it would seem. I'm feeling it as much as the next bear but I try to just enjoy the champions league etc without getting jealous and turning entertainment into another excuse to get down about rangers.

The mean is always skewed by outliers, when you have a trio that are 33, 34 and 35 year old in the team, it moves the mean up somewhat but is hardly making it an old team.

Funny how I don't see a single teenager in that squad and only two under 23. We've played at least 6 teenagers and 14 under 23's.

In fact we had 10 under 23's in the squad and 8 played. We had 4 teenagers and 3 played.

The average of the squad was 22.8 and those who played was 23.4. The starting line up was 24.7.

Take away Jig and Alexander and the average of those that played was 21.5. Take away the two youngest to balance and you get 22.

The meadian of those that played was 22. The starting line up 23 and the squad 21.5. Dortmund median 24.

You just have to exchange Alexander for Cammy Bell and you get a mean of 23.9 for the starting team, and 22.7 for those that played.

Dortmund have done incredibly we but it's very easy to sit back and choose the best team of a season. I didn't see anyone picking them for the CL final at the beginning. And the main point is that every other team in Europe can be shamed by how well they've done with a young and cheapish squad. Not just us.

But to compare to us is ludicrous. They didn't start the summer with about 7 players and then have about £2m in total to spend while having the negative of finding players to play in the bottom tier. I'm sure their wage bill must be at least in the thirty millions.

They are possibly a club to emulate but then last season they were poor in the CL so maybe this is a flash in the pan or purple patch. You could equally say Rangers' Europa final team is one to emulate.

they were essentially liquidated a few years ago. we arent at the same stage but they are a perfect example.

Great post Calscot.

hes rather missed the point though.

dortmund had to build themselves up again from nothing. they did so by targeting youth and by improving scouting.

most of the player he points out are 23 etc. have been there 5 years since they were teenagers and were playing when they were.