Well, over here there is the "Presse Rat", i.e. the "Press or Media Council". If any media outlet would have published what the BBC did, the continuous snydes of Scrote et al, anyone could have taken them to the Presse Rat who would take them to the cleaners. Freedom of Information and press freedom is held in very high regards over here. But if it is misused, media folk will face the music.

As I said countless times, AFAIK, Ofcom only waits for the BBC to give them enough amunition to break their self-controlling monopoly. Scrote and couldn't help themselves and provided tons of ammunition. Sadly enough, it was not used by the Bears to get Ofcom onto the scene. It is still there though, if people would act.

There's a world of a difference between Germany and the UK, though, dB. The lack of a written constitution makes legal defamation pretty much reliant on an individual judge, who will bring all his own biases with him. There's no equivalent of the BVfG to ultimately arbitrate and so we have a media free for all which, when it goes too far, is justified on the spurious grounds that any form of control of the media is akin to a Goebbels-like propaganda ministry.

The result is the horrible creature you see today. And they will be their own worst enemy because eventually people/politicians will stop listening to their 'freedom of the press' defence and introduce controls, and it will be entirely the media's own fault.

As for why we would be our own worst enemy, that would be because we insist on scoring own goals along the ******/FTP axis on a regular basis, and of course the regular infighting of the last year.

Edited by andy steel

Just imagine if this had been Rangers, the Scottish media would have been in their element.

BRENTFORD fans and residents living near its Griffin Park ground have condemned supportes of Scottish club Celtic for their behaviour before, during and after the match on Saturday (July 20).

The friendly encounter finished 2-1 to the visitors but - rather than appreciating the talent on display - the game is more likely to be remembered for the worst scenes of crowd disturbance at the ground for a long time.

At the final whistle hundreds of the 6,000 or so travelling Celtic fans made a mockery of cordons put in place by police and stewards to invade the pitch and cause mayhem.

Acts witnessed by home supporters, as well as the Chronicle, included attempts to break the goalposts at the Brook Road end of the ground, several flares being thrown, confrontations with players, and abusive language, ugly jeers and rude gestures being made at officials.

Problems had been reported as early as 8.30am as coach-loads of Celtic fans arrived for the match showing visible signs of already being drunk and out of control.

Locals struggled to get near Griffin Park as roads and pavements were jammed with a sea of people wearing the green and white shirts of the opposition. One resident described the scenes as ‘the worst I’ve seen in 20 years of living here’ while officers largely stood by and watched as bottles and fast-food packaging were thoughtlessly discarded everywhere.

Before kick-off stewards the only noise audible above the sound of the chants was when an explosion signalled another green flare had been lit; these then had to be cleared from the pitch by stewards. At several points during the game play had to be held up while streakers and pitch invaders were dealt with; although as of so far today (Monday) The Met claims only two arrests were made.

The atmosphere turned really ugly at the end of the match as despite the home club having paid to bring in extra policing hundreds of Celtic fans still managed to get over the barriers and onto the grass.

People living near the ground claim the noise and drunken acts carried on well into the night long after the majority of fans had gone home.

The Chronicle has spoken to Brentford FC, the local police and Hounslow Council for their reactions to the match but so far has received no comments.

Celtic manager Neil Lennon is reported to have defended the actions as ‘over exuberance’ after a few beers but agreed the flares should not have been thrown.

http://www.hounslowchronicle.co.uk/west-london-news/local-hounslow-news/2013/07/23/celtic-fans-slammed-for-bad-behaviour-at-brentford-109642-33645302/

Edited by chilledbear

Just imagine if this had been Rangers, the Scottish media would have been in their element.

BRENTFORD fans and residents living near its Griffin Park ground have condemned supportes of Scottish club Celtic for their behaviour before, during and after the match on Saturday (July 20).

The friendly encounter finished 2-1 to the visitors but - rather than appreciating the talent on display - the game is more likely to be remembered for the worst scenes of crowd disturbance at the ground for a long time.

At the final whistle hundreds of the 6,000 or so travelling Celtic fans made a mockery of cordons put in place by police and stewards to invade the pitch and cause mayhem.

Acts witnessed by home supporters, as well as the Chronicle, included attempts to break the goalposts at the Brook Road end of the ground, several flares being thrown, confrontations with players, and abusive language, ugly jeers and rude gestures being made at officials.

Problems had been reported as early as 8.30am as coach-loads of Celtic fans arrived for the match showing visible signs of already being drunk and out of control.

Locals struggled to get near Griffin Park as roads and pavements were jammed with a sea of people wearing the green and white shirts of the opposition. One resident described the scenes as ‘the worst I’ve seen in 20 years of living here’ while officers largely stood by and watched as bottles and fast-food packaging were thoughtlessly discarded everywhere.

Before kick-off stewards the only noise audible above the sound of the chants was when an explosion signalled another green flare had been lit; these then had to be cleared from the pitch by stewards. At several points during the game play had to be held up while streakers and pitch invaders were dealt with; although as of so far today (Monday) The Met claims only two arrests were made.

The atmosphere turned really ugly at the end of the match as despite the home club having paid to bring in extra policing hundreds of Celtic fans still managed to get over the barriers and onto the grass.

People living near the ground claim the noise and drunken acts carried on well into the night long after the majority of fans had gone home.

The Chronicle has spoken to Brentford FC, the local police and Hounslow Council for their reactions to the match but so far has received no comments.

Celtic manager Neil Lennon is reported to have defended the actions as ‘over exuberance’ after a few beers but agreed the flares should not have been thrown.

http://www.hounslowchronicle.co.uk/west-london-news/local-hounslow-news/2013/07/23/celtic-fans-slammed-for-bad-behaviour-at-brentford-109642-33645302/

Celtic control large sections of the Scottish media. That is very apparent. That is why very little has been made of this in the Scottish media. Journalists know if they portray Celtic in a bad way or write unfavourable articles about Celtic they will get banned from the Glitterdome and/or will be shunned by the club. Slowly but surely our club is waking up to this but way too late. Journos did not fear what they write about Rangers knowing there's little chance of repercussions. The BBC ban is a start but much more needs to be done.

I accept that I am being repetitive and going over old ground but while James Traynor in his role as Director of Communications will have various duties and responsibilities, I am bewildered that he has not been more prominent, in challenging the persistent open and implied criticism of his employer. JT is certainly no fool. He is a street fighter and should be more than a match for the characters who delight in criticising Rangers. Can someone assist in helping me to understand the source of my bewilderment?

I accept that I am being repetitive and going over old ground but while James Traynor in his role as Director of Communications will have various duties and responsibilities, I am bewildered that he has not been more prominent, in challenging the persistent open and implied criticism of his employer. JT is certainly no fool. He is a street fighter and should be more than a match for the characters who delight in criticising Rangers. Can someone assist in helping me to understand the source of my bewilderment?

To be honest I think JT has not been brought in as a fighting cock but as someone to bring Rangers up to date with media entertainment. Wifi and the link to you tube could be things he is in control of developing. I don't think we should be paying anyone to just react to stupid newspaper articles. We have a board and lawyers for so sort of things.

Guest BigSwanley
To be honest I think JT has not been brought in as a fighting cock but as someone to bring Rangers up to date with media entertainment. Wifi and the link to you tube could be things he is in control of developing. I don't think we should be paying anyone to just react to stupid newspaper articles. We have a board and lawyers for so sort of things.

You don't think that the Director of Communication should be responsible for defending the club in the media, but seem to think that we need a DoC to install wifi and set up a youtube channel?

Really?

The other thing you need to remember at JT is that whilst at the DR it was he who supposedly advised the SFA that Whyte wasn't paying over PAYE/NI to HMRC. The SFA (or was it Regan on the advice of who?) for whatever reason took no action at that time but following administration handed out fines, embargoes & a life ban for whyte after it became apparent what had gone on.

As there are currently investigations by the police and the Insolvency service regards Whyte's ownership of Rangers it may be no bad thing to have JT employed by us whilst these investigations are ongoing with the ultimate aim being the club getting exonerated for all that happened during whyte's ownership. If it is concluded by these investigations that the SFA were negligent then the roof could literally fall in on scottish football as oldco shareholders take legal action against the SFA.

We should then be returned to the top division of Scottish football with a full apology following a total clearout of the SFA starting with Regan

Even more interesting Tom when you consider his comments following the BBC ban.

‘We are aware of our contractual obligations but we also have to be aware of our duty to protect the players, manager and supporters against reporting which lacks logic, balance and fairness.’”

You don't think that the Director of Communication should be responsible for defending the club in the media, but seem to think that we need a DoC to install wifi and set up a youtube channel?

Really?

I just can't imagine employing someone to read newspapers looking for naughty digs at us and sit and type letters about it. The journalists in question would love that giving them a platform for tit for tat rants.

I would imagine his job is sorting out communications with our own support in such things as The Rangers News, Rangers TV and all other communication sources.

I know I would not be very happy at us paying a salary just to answer all the Muppets that write crap about us.

Paying such a salary must have a reason of bringing more funds into the club by improving the Rangers product surely. I would imagine that is his job. I may be wrong.

Guest kenjay

Apropos this very point; why are Rangers paying £140k pa to a PR firm when JT has the wherewithal to do a good demolition job of his own volition?