If we sign both Pandza and Moshni...........

In terms of Scottish football, I think the quality of our squad is probably slightly better than our current player wage bill would suggest. I think we have the 2nd best squad in Scotland but it's still some distance away from being the best and I don't think it's even in the same ball park as the squad of the 2011-12 season.

Can we currently beat Celtic? In a one-off cup game of course we can, but we obviously wouldn't be favourites to do so. Signing a couple of new centre-halfs might make us stronger, but it isn't going to make up the difference.

I think the main difference is that Ceptic have a proven & settled squad - we don't, its a complete unknown at present.

Potentially, I believe that we have a squad capable of competing with ANYONE in Scotland. We showed this last year against Motherwell, the main issue was that we were unable to maintain that standard. We have a squad containing some of the SPL's best players over last couple of years.....if the coaching staff can get these players working as an effective team-unit, I think many folk will be in for a surprise - especially Ceptic.

I also think it is tactical with the constant reference to being miles behind Ceptic. Let the others get comfortable with Rangers still not being at full strength, then give them a battering when they play. Also psychological for the players.....if they believe that the quality is where it was a couple of years ago, they may be inclined to "switch off" and get complacent.

I don't think many of our current squad would have been first picks if they were added to our squad from a few years ago. Wallace and Jig were in both squads so don't count in this scenario.

I think the only one with much of a chance would be Templeton. Law and Daily would have been ok as squad fillers. McLeod would be knocking on the door of the team and one or two other youngsters might have had the odd chance - but be behind the more mature youngsters that left.

I think it should be obvious that Celtic have a higher quality squad. They have not been bargain basement hunting like us. They have not been picking up the type of SPL players we have for a reason.

They may not be brilliant but the players they are bringing in have a higher market value.

If you imagine any type of commodity - wine, food, tools, sports equipment... then while spending more on more expensive stuff does not guarantee you will end up with better quality and there is the law of diminishing returns, generally, if you still try to get value for money, spending more should have you ending up with higher quality stuff. Cheap things are usually cheap for a reason.

Our problem in the past has been paying premium prices for medium goods.....we then make substantial loses when sold on as no-one else will pay anywhere near the premium that we paid.

I get the impression that we are spending wiser just now, which doesn't always result in lower quality. Guys like Temps & Clark are all still young and have bags of potential - after a couple of good seasons, and some creative PR either of these players could be sold for multiple millions.

Nothing wrong with "bargain basement hunting" providing that you can identify the real bargains and the "diamonds in the rough"

Yep. just imagine Aluko had continued his fine show and we had extended his contract? Or imagine if someone had wanted Naismith while he was still under contract. Or Whyte had not sent Jelavic away "on the cheap" ...

Anyway, we should make sure that talent like McKay and Macleod, as well as quality players like Templeton are tied to the club on "long" deals, so if they perform well, we'll at least get decent money for them. Likewise, we should make also sure that younger talent will get a chance (while we are still playing "lower key" opposition) and the youth department get some reward for their efforts.

Our problem in the past has been paying premium prices for medium goods.....we then make substantial loses when sold on as no-one else will pay anywhere near the premium that we paid.

I get the impression that we are spending wiser just now, which doesn't always result in lower quality. Guys like Temps & Clark are all still young and have bags of potential - after a couple of good seasons, and some creative PR either of these players could be sold for multiple millions.

Nothing wrong with "bargain basement hunting" providing that you can identify the real bargains and the "diamonds in the rough"

Yep. just imagine Aluko had continued his fine show and we had extended his contract? Or imagine if someone had wanted Naismith while he was still under contract. Or Whyte had not sent Jelavic away "on the cheap" ...

Anyway, we should make sure that talent like McKay and Macleod, as well as quality players like Templeton are tied to the club on "long" deals, so if they perform well, we'll at least get decent money for them. Likewise, we should make also sure that younger talent will get a chance (while we are still playing "lower key" opposition) and the youth department get some reward for their efforts.

Good points made. I would just like to see more talent development in the current management / coaching set up so the current young players achieve the maximum ability possible.

Good points made. I would just like to see more talent development in the current management / coaching set up so the current young players achieve the maximum ability possible.

I think the last season has shown that there is some very capable players coming through the ranks, but have not had a real crack @ the 1st team.

Get the more promising youngsters into the 1st team & get a few games under their belts....then create some media attention/frenzy around them (possibly attaching a ridiculous price tag), and sell on for a handsome profit, simples!!!