Colin McAdam has passed away

Gers Tribute To McAdam

RANGERS manager Ally McCoist has paid tribute to former Ibrox star Colin McAdam who sadly passed away yesterday aged 61.

Colin started his career at Dumbarton and featured for Motherwell and Partick Thistle before joining Rangers in 1980.

He spent four years at Ibrox, initially operating in a forward role during John Greig’s reign, before being asked to play in defence by Jock Wallace.

Colin left Rangers in 1984 for Adelaide City and later appeared for Hearts before returning to Partick Thistle in the mid-to-late 80s.

McCoist said: “We were all shocked and saddened to hear of Colin’s sudden passing.

“On behalf of everyone at Rangers Football Club, I would like to send my sincere condolences to Colin’s family at this difficult time.

“It is genuine tragedy that Colin has passed away so suddenly at just 61 and the thoughts of everyone at Rangers are with Colin’s family and friends.”

Ibrox legend Derek Johnstone, who played with Colin during his time at Rangers, added: “Colin was a great lad and a good friend and I am shocked at this tragic news.

“He always gave 100% on the pitch and was fearless. I am absolutely devastated by this news and my thoughts are with Colin’s family.”

http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/4656-gers-tribute-to-mcadam

I remember it like it was yesterday - 1980. He ran them ragged that day and scored 2. Very sad indeed. Late 50s? Was Tom (who played for Celtic around the same time) his older or younger brother?

he played against Colin in that 3-0 victory at Ibrox, like wise remember it very clearly, the 2nd was a floated header back across goal as I remember, at the Copland Road end, and we all rose as it headed towards the top of the net, not 100% certain if it was going in or not, but sure enough in it was.

Was great to see him go up to Tom afterwards and shake his hand, no brotherly embrace, still Rangers v septic, we didn't beat them often and by that much in those years. great day.

• 2 years later...

I was there too at that time - him and the other PE Student Teacher had a bet on who's class was the best and we played Basketball and Volleyball to decide the outcome Big Colin's team won - also remember getting ready for a school Scottish Cup tie and he appeared with a big bag of balls - we looked so professional having balls between smaller groups than just playing crossy in - great man sad loss

Thanks for the video.

Notice the ballboy in an orange tracksuit behind the goal in front of the timmish. Note also that they do not appear to be abusing him or lobbing missiles.