Ray Wilkins scored a goal that he, and the Rangers support, will never forget.

His stunning volley came in an Old Firm match that saw the Light Blues recover from a goal down to romp to a 5-1 victory at Ibrox.

Wilkins was joined on the scoresheet by Kevin Drinkell, Mark Walter and Ally McCoist, who grabbed a double in front of a delighted home support.

Fans who witnessed the goal are likely to remind Wilkins of the famous strike any time he is back in Scotland.

In an interview with RangersTV he said: "The supporters often mention it when I go back. I’m not overly concerned about who it was against because it was just great to score for Rangers as I didn’t get many.

"It came from a long throw, there was a flick on, it was headed out and it‘s either one of those that flies into the back of the net or it goes over the back of the stand.

"Fortunately for me, it ended up in the back of the net. It was a wonderful moment and one that I do cherish.

"We beat them 4-1 at Ibrox that season as well which was a fabulous day. But that day we played some fabulous football and really did take Celtic to task as well.

"The problem with scoring a goal like that is that you can wear yourself out celebrating and you’re no use to the team after it! So from that point of view you have to just calm yourself down and get back on with the game."

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/4899-on-this-day-wilkins-volley

Highlights on http://rangerstv.tv/view.php?it=5249&c=Classics&act=view&r=852610557&www=fast&chk=params

News of Ray Wilkins goal arrived via a short wave radio tuned to BBC World Service. It was carried by breathless Paddy Feeney's 15 minute football round up, 4-5 hours after the ball screamed into the net. I was in southern Oman, an area known as the Jebel. A patrol harbour area during silent hours, a fully zipped green slug to deny biting ants, and a raised whip antenna. All very unprofessional.

Paddy exercised the enthusiasm of a new born giraffe as he announced, "and now to highlights of today's featured Scottish match, a six goal thriller from Ibrox". The first 10 second burst of commentary culminated in FrakieBhoy notching and immediately I assumed we had lost 0-6. The next two clips were Butcher's equaliser and Wilkins screamer. My pessimism persisted and was prepared for a 2-4 defeat. It was Drinkell's header that had me screaming, silently.

It's the Rangers thing, thousands of miles away amid an eerie landscape and emotionally I am in the East Enclosure bouncing, bellowing, and loving the Gers with fellow Bears.

Was serving in the East German Navy at the time and we had two sports/football papers who also had the odd news about what went on behind the Iron Curtain. By that time, my life as a Bluenose was about 5 years "old" and while there was the World Service on shortwave and even BBC 2/5 on medium wave during the night, risking to be caught listening to the "enemies' radio station" might have had consequences. I never was though (and still remember night watches listeing to Oldham Athletic's great games with Andy Ritchie scoring) and on the Tuesday after the game I got my sports paper and there was a neat and surprisingly large article on that Old Firm game, with Wilkins being pictured after scoring. I was a very happy Maat / Petty Officer Second Class that day ...

Saw it first when I "dealed" East German football books for Rangers videos with the boss of the "Soccer Bookshelf" even while I was in the Navy. Coming to think of it, I might check my Stasi files (if any) to see what they found out or thought about it :)

Wilkins goal and his reaction will forever be etched in my memory - we played some astounding stuff that day and the Tims were like deer in the headlights.

Was this not also the game where apparently McCoist went nuts after the game in frustration..... because he felt we played so well we could have beaten them by a fair few more... and wanted to do so ?