Darren Cole - Contract Terminated

This sounds stupid, but sometimes you just see who's got a decent work ethic and who's a mug. And the boys you've mentioned are professional lads on first sight. Hopefully this will be rewarded with starting XI spots.

I've heard that Crawford is similar with regards to really working hard at training. Also, it looked to me like MacKay has put in some hours in the gym.

McKay is one I have heard who believes himself to be "Billy big baws".... to put it mildly....

Perhaps it will be a lesson to the younger lads, hope so anyway.

Here's hoping this is the start of the Club getting tougher on the slackers. The Club aren't running a holiday camp at Auchenhowie. The kids and young guys need to either get their heads down and work their bollocks off or they can GTF.

The question is what can the club learn from this. It's fine and good blaming the player for his attitude but that doesn't help the club reclaim any of the thousands and thousands of pounds that were invested in his development. That's gone now, we might as well have burnt that money. Cole clearly had the ability to become a professional footballer, if the problems are in his head then it shouldn't be beyond the club to fix them. In the end if a player is simply not skilful enough there is nothing that can be done, he needs to drop down and find his level. But if it's an attitude problem, an application issue, surely we can address that? Cole is 21, he's not a child, he might be immature, 'daft' even, but he's no longer 16.

Somewhere our system failed here, we'd do well to understand where and why and what we can do to improve it.

The question is what can the club learn from this. It's fine and good blaming the player for his attitude but that doesn't help the club reclaim any of the thousands and thousands of pounds that were invested in his development. That's gone now, we might as well have burnt that money. Cole clearly had the ability to become a professional footballer, if the problems are in his head then it shouldn't be beyond the club to fix them. In the end if a player is simply not skilful enough there is nothing that can be done, he needs to drop down and find his level. But if it's an attitude problem, an application issue, surely we can address that? Cole is 21, he's not a child, he might be immature, 'daft' even, but he's no longer 16.

Somewhere our system failed here, we'd do well to understand where and why and what we can do to improve it.

In this guy's case, I think it more than likely boils down to him being too stupid to fully appreciate the career opportunity he had in front of him. There's bound to have been people at the Club who tried to help the lad, but at the end of the day there's only so much they can do with dumb slackers. What the club needs to address is not investing so much time, effort & money into lads who aren't 100% committed and working their bollocks off.

In this guy's case, I think it more than likely boils down to him being too stupid to fully appreciate the career opportunity he had in front of him. There's bound to have been people at the Club who tried to help the lad, but at the end of the day there's only so much they can do with dumb slackers. What the club needs to address is not investing so much time, effort & money into lads who aren't 100% committed and working their bollocks off.

Okay. I've no unique insight into Cole or his particular issues. My beef is with the club. How can a player reach 21, not be a first team regular and end up getting sacked. Surely if he had stupidity issues they'd have been spotted before now, if not why not? Remember this is a player we gave a new contract to in June, he must have got really stupid really quickly!

Someone at the club as recently as June thought he had a future with us. Somethings wrong with this picture.