Darren Cole - Contract Terminated

Okay. I've no unique insight into Cole or his particular issues. My beef is with the club. How can a player reach 21, not be a first team regular and end up getting sacked. Surely if he had stupidity issues they'd have been spotted before now, if not why not? Remember this is a player we gave a new contract to in June, he must have got really stupid really quickly!

Someone at the club as recently as June thought he had a future with us. Somethings wrong with this picture.

Completely agree. To me there's something fishy about the contract side of things.

There's no way Cole should have been given a new contract in June, just as there's no way young Naismith should have been given a new 2 year contract in February only to be paid off to leave a few months later.

There was also a rumour recently about Mitchell having been told he could leave and he was only just given a new contract in May. The original rumour apparently wasn't 100% accurate, but there may well have been an element of truth in it.

What I'd really like to know is who are the agents involved in signing these deals and then negotiating pay-offs shortly afterwards because someone or some people are making a good few quid out of the Club's bad business.

Okay. I've no unique insight into Cole or his particular issues. My beef is with the club. How can a player reach 21, not be a first team regular and end up getting sacked. Surely if he had stupidity issues they'd have been spotted before now, if not why not? Remember this is a player we gave a new contract to in June, he must have got really stupid really quickly!

Someone at the club as recently as June thought he had a future with us. Somethings wrong with this picture.

A lot has changed since June....most noticeably - Ricky Foster!!!!

Cole may have thought he had a chance before Foster signed....after that he may have realised that the chances of him getting a game dropped considerably. Rather than acting like a professional and knuckling down to some hard graft to impress the Boss, he simply switched off & paid the price.

Completely agree. To me there's something fishy about the contract side of things.

What I'd really like to know is who are the agents involved in signing these deals and then negotiating pay-offs shortly afterwards because someone or some people are making a good few quid out of the Club's bad business.[/QUO

Weren't their rumors floating about at the start of last season that there was a close relationship between some of the agents representing players we signed and people in the upper reaches of the club?

There's no way they weren't working on the Foster deal before June, they must have known before then he was likely, and if not him then someone else.

I hadn't considered it might be simple corruption with someone somewhere making money out of this, you might well be onto something.

I accept that not every promising player will make it, but in this day and age we should be able to see if a player has attitude problems long before they turn 21. I'm struggling to accept they only manifested themselves since Foster signed.

Weren't their rumors floating about at the start of last season that there was a close relationship between some of the agents representing players we signed and people in the upper reaches of the club?

Yes, but I don't know the details, so maybe someone who knows can chime in. IIRC there were rumours about Green & Mather being involved in signing certain players who Ally hadn't asked for.

I accept that not every promising player will make it, but in this day and age we should be able to see if a player has attitude problems long before they turn 21.

Exactly amms.

When we were still in the top flight, I think the Club's youth system was maybe willing to develop players with potential even if they had some attitude issues on the basis that they could potentially be sold on for a tidy sum. Cole's Champion's League appearance was as obvious as it gets in terms of placing a youngster in the shop window. That stuff needs to change now though and this nonsense of giving players contracts then paying them off shortly afterwards most definitely needs to change.

A lot has changed since June....most noticeably - Ricky Foster!!!!

Cole may have thought he had a chance before Foster signed....after that he may have realised that the chances of him getting a game dropped considerably. Rather than acting like a professional and knuckling down to some hard graft to impress the Boss, he simply switched off & paid the price.

If Cole was still seen as a good enough prospect in June to get a new contract, why sign Foster, who's a decent player but not exactly a world beater and also prone to error e.g. Newcastle?

Yes, but I don't know the details, so maybe someone who knows can chime in. IIRC there were rumours about Green & Mather being involved in signing certain players who Ally hadn't asked for.

Andrew McCormack is Ally and Durant's agent; don't know if represents any players; but if he does it is surely a conflict of interest?

Then there is the interesting case of Neil Murray who was working as an agent whilst Heading up Murray Park, a clear conflict in my book. I know for a fact he was in touch with Ally in the immediate aftermath of his sacking (of course, no reason that he shouldn't have been when he was no longer employed by Rangers). It would take some digging to establish if he represented any of the players who were signed or negotiated new contracts or pay-offs whilst he was a Rangers employee. Also not sure if that was the sole reason or even played any part in his dismissal.