Friendly earlier today: Rangers 1 - 3 Hibs

We fielded a strong side - we realistically should have won.

to be fair we were without Wallace,Black, McLeod & Peralta. Three of them will be our midfield this season along with Law who played in the game. We don't have a big squad any longer & perhaps it showed today. If only 2 or 3 players drop out then we'll struggle.

That said I would have thought the likes of Shiels & Templeton would have taken this opportunity today because if Ally goes 4-4-2 he may well decide to put 4 midfielders in with Daly and probably Clark up front. That would mean no starting place for Shiels & Templeton.

I also think today would highlight the fact that there are still areas in the team needing strengthened. Will we ever sign a recognised RB ? I also think we lack a bit of pace up front particularly in the wide areas like Aluko gave us and I do get the impression Ally wants someone to partner Daly up front hence his pursuit of Kenny Miller.

However not all doom & gloom. The team does look much improved from last season does it not?

The result isn't a good one and suggests we still have a bit to do in terms of catching up on the SPL. It was a decent side we put out and Id have thought we would get a better result than that especially as Hibs are poor at the moment.

You'd expect players to be trying to prove a point to the manager and give him something to think about in these games.

just not convinced he's what we want/need at RB. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong though

Me neither, too prone to errors for me; but he's what we've got.

I would have taken Alan Hutton in a heartbeat but it would have been about an 80% cut in wages for him and given his demands to Mallorca not on obviously.

I see Clark came on for Daly at half-time? I'd have thought this would be an ideal game to see how they play together, and getting some valuable match time to help learn each others style of play - wasted opportunity.

I would assume Ally sused this game to check out the one-up-front approach against tougher opposition works. They will, from now on, have plenty opportunity to check out a 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 with Clark and Daly up front in League One.