A Black Day

Rangers are continuing to take a hard line against those who seek to destabilise the club and undermine its progress.

The latest statement by the club shows that it had no choice in reporting a poster on Follow Follow to Police Scotland for making threats of violence against a Rangers director, bringing fear and alarm to his family.

Even after this had gone public, people on the Follow Follow site were continuing to post threats against directors.

I am aware that the board have been aware of this issue for some time and have compiled a list of threats and incitements posted on FF.

Posters who object to such language being used are vilified and banned.

As I blogged quite a while ago now, mob rule seems to be prevalent among a certain section of the Rangers support. Bullying and intimidation are rife and now it has become a police matter.

It is just a handful of individuals who are generating this animosity and ugliness but they use gullible people to spread their poison against the club and other fans.

Astonishingly some are trying to paint this latest episode as an assault by the club on free speech. I am unaware that threatening someone with extreme violence – including their families – is a free speech issue. It is a matter not of civil liberties but for the police.

Others are trying to make out that the club leaked the story to the BBC. This is a nonsense. The news was given a general release. If Chris McLaughlin is faster off the mark than other reporters that is not his fault.

Shrewd observers of the Ibrox situation have been saying for some time that it is only a matter of time before somebody gets hurt over this bitter divide in the Rangers family.

I am sure that the institutional investors who back the Minico bid for change at Ibrox will not advocate nor endorse the threats of violence aimed at incumbent directors on the board. I wouldn’t be surprised if this latest twist is already making some think again. These investors simply don’t need the bad publicity.

It is a terrible state of affairs when club directors of Rangers Football Club are undergoing these levels of intimidation from a small but very vocal minority in the Rangers support. My understanding is that Police Scotland will be looking into broader areas of incitement, including the purposes of “secret” fan meetings and online provocations.

This is not about free speech any more. It is about the line between peaceful, legal protest and criminality.

For decent Rangers fans, attacking the club they love is unacceptable. And breaking the law to do it is unthinkable.

It is time for the voice of these decent, law-abiding Rangers fans to prevail over those who are spreading seeds of hatred and discord among the Rangers family.

Bill Mcmurdo

I saw that post on Follow Follow and thought that it might be the one. It's certainly a stupid thing to post but it's not a threat so I don't understand what the club is reported to be doing.

People post stupid things all the time. The posts are often deleted or even more often ignored. If the club are choosing to make an issue of this it is for an ulterior motive and I think we all know what it is.

The club have made a right old James Hunt of it ... AGAIN.

Saddest thing of all is that this isn't really our club doing this, it's the chancers in the boardroom and their PR rat Irvine spending the fans' money to further their own interests. Shocking stuff.