Rangers fans chief: Mather had to go

RANGERS fans supremo Mark Dingwall insisted Craig Mather had no option but to resign following his court embarrassment on Monday.

Chris Jack

Group Sports Writer Thursday 17/10/2013

Mark Dingwall reckons Craig Mather had no option but to quit after Paul Murray Court of Session verdictThe Ibrox chief executive stood down from his position yesterday morning just days after a group of shareholders, headed by Blue Knights leader Paul Murray, were successful in their action at the Court of Session in forcing the club to postpone their AGM this month.

Bryan Smart also stood down from his seat at the Ibrox top table., leaving finance director Brian Stockbridge and Greenock businessman James Easdale as the only two directors on the board following the resignation of Ian Hart last week.

Dingwall told SportTimes: "I wasn't surprised Craig left. As chief executive, he was being paid a lot of money and losing the court case on Monday was disastrous for him.

"The call for the AGM was illegal and should never have been issued. As chief executive, Craig had to resign.

"But fans are more concerned about the club than individual personalities. They want stability at the club rather than who gets the chop next.

"The quickest way to do that is to proceed to a properly constituted AGM where whoever wants to stand can have their track records judged by shareholders.

"It is necessary that, following the debacle in court, there is clear direction in the run-up to the AGM. It is imperative that we have stability."

The departure of Mather could pave the way for Murray, former chairman Malcolm Murray, Scott Murdoch and Alex Wilson to join the Gers board, with South African-based businessman Dave King also in the frame to return to the club.

And Rangers Supporters Trust chief Dingwall insists fans deserve answers from all parties as the boardroom battle intensifies.

He said: "With the financial situation of the club being such that there will supposedly only be £1m left in the bank next April, all directors and people seeking to get on the board will be asked what their plans are and the solution to this.

"Mr Easdale and Mr Stockbridge, being the incumbents, should have that information to be able to justify their past actions and their future actions.

"It is vital that the new board of directors takes the fans with them. The only safe place for Rangers is to be wholly owned by Rangers fans.

"Paul Murray has always stated that he is willing to put himself up at the AGM and be judged on his conduct.

"He has taken on the bank, Duff and Phelps, Craig Whyte and Green. His record is there to be examined. It is now down to the fans to have a think about what they want for the club and to vote for the directors that they want."

RANGERS fans supremo Mark Dingwall ???? Sorry Gersnet, Just had to :lol:

I think we all know the papers like to stir the pot with such daft terms - as do those who deliberately accept such descriptions at face value... ;)

On this occasion, I think Mark has spoken pretty well - although I'd certainly take issue with PM's record.

Semantics ... just remind yourself which players the papers usually mark out as "stars". Since they have hyped up nigh anything they write*, they leave themselves with little room to manouvre.

*E.g. ... dropped, snubbed, sacked, super-/star etc.. You'd think English has run out of words ...

I still don't think paul Murray is the person to take us forward. Last time he was on the board he stayed quiet and never done a thing, who is to say he won't to this again, can we take that chance?

I don't think Paul Murray has done himself favours either by the way he has handle the TBK stuff, or using certain media outlets and people as puppets.