You are really not getting this GS are you ? They dont have any jurisdiction to investigate crime in Scotland. End of.

England and Scotland are governed by different laws. They will not be reporting anything to the Procurator Fiscal for consideration of a prosecution - I can guarantee it.

If a crime has occurred and the locus of that crime is in England then they will have jurisdiction to investigate - but it will be reported to the CPS not the Procurator Fiscal or Crown Office.

If the crime locus is Scotland then it will not be the SFO who undertake the investigation.

oh they most certainly have the power.

http://www.sfo.gov.uk/media/103572/scotland_sfo_ops_handbook_topic_march2012.pdf

the sfo's section 2 powers extend to scotland

You are really not getting this GS are you ? They dont have any jurisdiction to investigate crime in Scotland. End of.

England and Scotland are governed by different laws. They will not be reporting anything to the Procurator Fiscal for consideration of a prosecution - I can guarantee it.

If a crime has occurred and the locus of that crime is in England then they will have jurisdiction to investigate - but it will be reported to the CPS not the Procurator Fiscal or Crown Office.

If the crime locus is Scotland then it will not be the SFO who undertake the investigation.

Who's claiming the "crime locus" is in Scotland?

and in case anyone is confused about their section 2 powers which extend to scotland.

We use a range of investigation tools. Our primary investigation powers are those given to us by the Criminal Justice Act (CJA)1987 when we were established.

Section 2 investigation powers

The Serious Fraud Office's statutory powers are:

to search property

to compel persons to answer questions and produce documents

Section 2 of the CJA 1987 gives the Director or a designated member of staff the power to require a person or entity to provide information to us for the purpose of an investigation. This takes the form of interviewing people, requiring them to produce material, or searching premises.

We can only use this power if the Director finds reasonable grounds to suspect an offence has been committed involving serious or complex fraud or corruption.

Written notice is always given when exercising this power. Notices are typically issued to individuals, banks, financial institutions, accountants and other professionals, most of whom will have a duty of confidence to their clients. Issuing them with Section 2 notices obliges them lawfully to give us the information we require.

Where a person or entity does not comply with a notice, or when someone is interviewed and is found to have given false or misleading information, they can be prosecuted.

On 14 July 2008, Section 2A of the CJA 1987 came into force enabling the Director to use Section 2 powers at a 'pre-investigation' stage in relation to overseas bribery and corruption cases.

View Criminal Justice Act 1987 for more information.

Other legislative (investigation and prosecution) tools

Other tools and legislation we use include:

Criminal Prosecution: Fraud Act 2006, Theft Act 1968, Companies Act 2006 S 993, and so on

Serious Crime Act 2007

Serious and Organised Crime and Police Act 2005

Serious Crime Prevention Orders

Financial Reporting Orders

Proceeds of Crime Act 2002

Criminal Evidence (Witness Anonymity) Act 2008 Section 2

RIPA

I think you should read that more closely. You will actually find it refers to what i have been telling you - its why their own website tells you they have no jurisdiction in Scotland.

i think you need to read it more closely not me. it's very clear they have power to investigate in scotland.

i think you need to read it more closely not me. it's very clear they have power to investigate in scotland.

Well you keep believing that if it makes you feel better.

But best not to read the parts under

"Why is this topic important"

and

"Who can help me in Scotland"

The very fact it emphasises the need for liaison with Crown Office, Local Police Forces should tell you all you need to know.

and

The very fact it emphasises the need for liaison with Crown Office' date=' Local Police Forces should tell you all you need to know.[/quote']

the fact it clearly states they can chap doors and search properties in scotland tells me all i need to know about the notion they have no jurisdiction in scotland.

but as i say the whole notion is a red herring. no amount of jail time will get rangers back their money.

and

The very fact it emphasises the need for liaison with Crown Office' date=' Local Police Forces should tell you all you need to know.[/quote']

I wouldn't waste your time.

Edited by pete