Amms said What is it people expect from 'youth development' exactly? I keep reading this criticism of Rangers yet I don't see any other clubs in Scotland producing great players. Indeed I don't see many in the UK producing great players.*"

well maybe not "great" players but take aberdeen (jack, pawlett,smith good youngsters and half the team came through their system.recently sold fraser and grimmer) dundee united have some very talented kids that came through in recent years and current as well, gauld, armstrong etc...

The irony is we laughed at them as they would be fucked without us in spl. They are the ones turning to youth, playing better football, young progressive "coaching" managers..as i stay up north i know their fans are excited again, not because they win every game but because they are buying into the philosophy.. thats what people on here are banging on about ally lacking. It's not some impossible fantasy it just needs a proper football manager who can build a club not just assemble a group of experienced pros..

Weird that most teams attendances are down then. And almost no rangers fans would accept those Aberdeen "starlets" in our team.

No need to accept the aberdeen players. We just need to nurture and develop our own. Reality check... we will have to "best" the likes of aberdeen, united etc before we can hope to topple celtic. I trust that we accept that it's unlikely we will have 20 mil to spend so clever building is what is needed. a fair few of these "starlets" are likely to be intrrnational caps by the time we get to spl whatever the fuck it's called. At present rate of development i shudder to think how far we could be lagging. I'm not here trying to big up the shaggers and the arabs et al. Just don' t want us to stick our heads in the sand and "hope" it all works out in the end. Had a look at some stats and untd average attendance down a few hundred. Aberdeen up from 9300 lsst sesson to over 12000 so far this season.i woild have had macinnes at rangers last season in a heartbeat...

Can't say I watch any Scottish football aside from us but have heard good things about the likes of Jack and Smith and I'd be surprised if any Rangers fans wanted the likes of Peralta instead of them?

Jack has been known to travel with the Granite City Loyal when circumstances permit.

When you look at the resources he has compared to every other club in lg1 and you look at the overall performances this season then questions should be asked. I'm sure he'll go to the end of this season then (after 3 years in the job) he should be thanked for his efforts and we should go for someone with a proven record in. My choice would be Billy Davies.

Both Butcher and McCall's Motherwell record is better than Davies. I'm at a loss to understand why he'd be an improvement even looking at his English record which is patchy at best.

The style of football played in this country could be much better, I agree with that. I don't think McCoist is any more culpable than many others. Unfortunately the Le Guen experiment has probably ensured we'll play safe with managers for a long time to come.

I can see where you are coming from as I remember frequently pulling my hair out when we played 5 across the back at home to St Johnstone etc under Wattie, but we were winning leagues. I get that bit.

I'm not sure how else we are supposed to voice displeasure about a manager we don't rate, without it being called OTT. I could be wrong but I don't see anything personal being stated etc. We aren't happy and we have the right to state it in a constructive way.

I disagree that the time for judgement isn't now. I think it most certainly is now (although it is all about opinions). If we wait until we get into the top division it will be way too late. If you change manager then, he will want a budget to bring in his own players etc, and we will effectively be starting again.

The one thing that would unify us all behind Ally is if the team was showing signs of promise, and a brand of football that we could get behind. If we could see his vision. Why doesn't he come out and tell us what his vision is in terms of how he wants his team to play? I have always wanted him to succeed, but more than that I have wanted my Club to succeed. Unfortunately I don't see the two desires being possible. I've given him lots of time and now I can't believe in him any more.

I think you need balance your 'displeasure' with some acceptance that this is a results business and McCoist is providing results. It's the jumping on McCoist the second we drop a couple of points that I find difficult.

It's hypothetical but I'm absolutely positive if we were playing passing football with young players but not winning every match McCoist's head would be getting chanted for weekly. I'd say nobody knows the Rangers support like McCoist, remember this is a guy signed by John Greig in 1983. He's seen first hand what our support can do to a manager who is playing young players but not winning matches. All McCoist can do is win this league as quickly as he can, he'll get no credit for it as it's expected.

Both Butcher and McCall's Motherwell record is better than Davies. I'm at a loss to understand why he'd be an improvement even looking at his English record which is patchy at best.

The style of football played in this country could be much better, I agree with that. I don't think McCoist is any more culpable than many others. Unfortunately the Le Guen experiment has probably ensured we'll play safe with managers for a long time to come.

Yeah Ive never been convinced with the Davies argument, he has always done well I the Championship but that's it.

I think a combination between Butcher and McCall would be a good team. I'll be interested to see how well Butcher does with Hibs (same as McInnes at Aberdeen), if he is good then I'd say he deserves a crack after Ally.

I still think Calderwood is under rated and would stroll this level. Whether he would be right for SPL is another argument but he is always tactically aware and plays a more attack style of football. Bascially he'd put a better footballing base down than Ally has.

Edited by Gribz

Amms said What is it people expect from 'youth development' exactly? I keep reading this criticism of Rangers yet I don't see any other clubs in Scotland producing great players. Indeed I don't see many in the UK producing great players.*"

well maybe not "great" players but take aberdeen (jack, pawlett,smith good youngsters and half the team came through their system.recently sold fraser and grimmer) dundee united have some very talented kids that came through in recent years and current as well, gauld, armstrong etc...

The irony is we laughed at them as they would be fucked without us in spl. They are the ones turning to youth, playing better football, young progressive "coaching" managers..as i stay up north i know their fans are excited again, not because they win every game but because they are buying into the philosophy.. thats what people on here are banging on about ally lacking. It's not some impossible fantasy it just needs a proper football manager who can build a club not just assemble a group of experienced pros..

Okay. Aberdeen are sitting fifth in the league at time of posting having played a match more than ICT who are in third. Aberdeen have the second largest budget in that league and should be comfortably in second place. They are 'turning to youth' because they are basically bankrupt, carrying a debt they've no chance of repaying anytime soon. Their fans are excited because they aren't losing with the regularity of previous seasons, they're starting from a low base here. Dundee Utd are similarly fucked finance wise, their young players are getting rave reviews from a compliant media, yet they shipped four goals to St Mirren at the weekend. Any Rangers manager would be immediately fired for losing four goals to them. Dundee Utd used to produce excellent young players, they haven't for years though. Time will tell if this new batch are any good, it's too soon to say. But please remember the standard they are playing at, the top league in Scotland is currently as poor as it has ever been at any point in time. As I've said on previous threads Johnny Russell, Utd's last wunderkind, is now at Derby County and not a first pick either. Is that the standard Rangers aspire too?

I'm sorry but the Rangers support will not accept that level of mediocrity. People think McCoist is getting stick just now but that would be nothing compared to what he'd get if he decided to follow the Aberdeen or Utd 'model'. We're not either of those two clubs, we're Rangers, if we aren't winning things then heads roll. The last Rangers manager who decided to change things lasted four months.

McCoist isn't the problem here, we are.

I think you need balance your 'displeasure' with some acceptance that this is a results business and McCoist is providing results. It's the jumping on McCoist the second we drop a couple of points that I find difficult.

It's hypothetical but I'm absolutely positive if we were playing passing football with young players but not winning every match McCoist's head would be getting chanted for weekly. I'd say nobody knows the Rangers support like McCoist, remember this is a guy signed by John Greig in 1983. He's seen first hand what our support can do to a manager who is playing young players but not winning matches. All McCoist can do is win this league as quickly as he can, he'll get no credit for it as it's expected.

My 'displeasure' is based on my belief that what is winning us games in the league we currently find ourselves will not even come close to getting us an acceptable amount of wins in the league we belong in. Let's not get away from the fact that ours is a very unique situation i.e. we are in a league we do not belong in. We are a very big fish in a very small pond. Normally it is a results driven business when teams have found their level in terms of the league they are playing in, and if they happen to do well in that league because of a good run of results it is a bonus. Our situation is entirely different. Any manager we have at the moment must come through these lower leagues at first attempt, and it shouldn't be applauded - we are in totally inferior leagues to where we belong.

So I would argue that in our unique situation it is not purely results driven. Our manager must show that he is going in the right direction to being able to deliver results when it really becomes results driven i.e. in the top league, which is our level. I believe the signs are not good on that front. If he turns it around and the signs start looking good I will be first on here to say "sorry Ally - I was wrong".