It feels good being linked with players however this does not seem like one we need right now.

On a side note - it is articles like that shows that we will be challenging celtic on the first season back, I believe people are somewhat deluded with the notion that it will take years for us to even finish second in the league.

We are still the biggest name in Scottish football and players will always want to sign for us.

It feels good being linked with players however this does not seem like one we need right now.

On a side note - it is articles like that shows that we will be challenging celtic on the first season back, I believe people are somewhat deluded with the notion that it will take years for us to even finish second in the league.

We are still the biggest name in Scottish football and players will always want to sign for us.

There is no doubt we have the players, easily the second best bunch in the country already but then that is not my worry, personally.

I just don't see McCoist being able to managerially compete with the Butchers, McInnes', McNamaras and dare i say it even the Yogis and Lurgan Bigots. There will be no outspending the Celtics, Aberdeens, Dundee Utds or Hibs 100 to 1.

There is no doubt we have the players, easily the second best bunch in the country already but then that is not my worry, personally.

I just don't see McCoist being able to managerially compete with the Butchers, McInnes', McNamaras and dare i say it even the Yogis and Lurgan Bigots. There will be no outspending the Celtics, Aberdeens, Dundee Utds or Hibs 100 to 1.

I fully understand your concerns and I think the inflated budget and that McCoist operates with compared to his current competitors only strengths your argument.

However I will say this... until he gets to the top flight none of us realistically know how he will cope. McCoist seems to be improving steadily as the years pass. Most of his signings this year seem to have been a success as opposed to "supermarket sweep" buys of last year.

I think next year will be a true test for McCoist and I think he will rise to the occasion.

I would love to see him bring in John Park and a couple of decent coaches with a good pedigree.

I fully understand your concerns and I think the inflated budget and that McCoist operates with compared to his current competitors only strengths your argument.

However I will say this... until he gets to the top flight none of us realistically know how he will cope. McCoist seems to be improving steadily as the years pass. Most of his signings this year seem to have been a success as opposed to "supermarket sweep" buys of last year.

I think next year will be a true test for McCoist and I think he will rise to the occasion.

I would love to see him bring in John Park and a couple of decent coaches with a good pedigree.

Not sure if this is the thread for it but i would take issue, strongly, with those 3 bold statements mate.

There is no evidence that McCoist can't compete - and as a manager that has only managed Rangers there is no easy way of gauging him against managers of clubs with lower resources.

He has however, ALWAYS finished in a league position that was appropriate for the clubs spending relative to other clubs, and this is despite him having his hands tied in the transfer market EVERY season, along with the most horrendous off-field problems in our history, and of course a ten point penalty.

The same cannot be said of Souness, Advocaat or McLiesh - and PLG, while clinging on to second place also did not perform to the clubs relative wealth. Wallace and Greig also obviously failed in that sense. Smith finsihed second in his last season of his first spell while I think outspending Celtic, so even he has not achieved this. So out of eight managers in the last 40 years, Ally is the ONLY one that has this achievement (and I think there is a good possibility he is the only one in our history).

To me there is no evidence whatsoever that he will not finish above teams with less finances. Quite the opposite.

He may not have shown he is a great manager by finishing above our finances, but he has shown he does not under perform in that sense either. That may change when we are promoted back to the top, but there is no logical or factual reason to think so.

His less than satisfactory cup record is a different issue to what we're talking about here.

There is no evidence that McCoist can't compete - and as a manager that has only managed Rangers there is no easy way of gauging him against managers of clubs with lower resources.

He has however, ALWAYS finished in a league position that was appropriate for the clubs spending relative to other clubs, and this is despite him having his hands tied in the transfer market EVERY season, along with the most horrendous off-field problems in our history, and of course a ten point penalty.

The same cannot be said of Souness, Advocaat or McLiesh - and PLG, while clinging on to second place also did not perform to the clubs relative wealth. Wallace and Greig also obviously failed in that sense. Smith finsihed second in his last season of his first spell while I think outspending Celtic, so even he has not achieved this. So out of eight managers in the last 40 years, Ally is the ONLY one that has this achievement (and I think there is a good possibility he is the only one in our history).

To me there is no evidence whatsoever that he will not finish above teams with less finances. Quite the opposite.

He may not have shown he is a great manager by finishing above our finances, but he has shown he does not under perform in that sense either. That may change when we are promoted back to the top, but there is no logical or factual reason to think so.

His less than satisfactory cup record is a different issue to what we're talking about here.

Proof, not that we needed it of course, that stats can be used to suit any agenda.