I had the pleasure to read a tremendous article recently on the Do The Bouncy forums, by Locutus :-

http://dothebouncy.com/main/threads/sharks-trolls-headstones-and-apathy.59319/

I love articles you can tell come from the heart, oozing in sheer passion for our club.

One particular phrase though set me thinking “Politics should have no place in football , but thats a debate for another day.” Perhaps with events elsewhere – that day has come.

Of course in a nirvana state – Politics should have no place in football, neither for that matter should Racism, Sectarianism nor Illegal betting. Unfortunately we do not live in such a sporting utopia and from time to time we have to cope with things invading our game which are neither welcome, nor enhancing for the reputation of our so called “Beautiful game”. In fact, if we are totally honest, at times it is downright ugly rather than beautiful.

But if Politics has no place in football – what about Political influence ? For the Rangers support these last 3 years or so have been a real wake up call. As our club lurched from crisis to crisis and was subjected to a catalogue of unjust treatment, the silence from politicians in Scotland was deafening. Compare and contrast such silence with the political response to an illegal procession organised by The Green Brigade.

http://news.stv.tv/west-central/218177-celtics-green-brigade-protest-results-in-msps-policing-question/

That’s not to say of course that Scottish Labour MP’s were silent over the crisis at Rangers, some in fact were only too happy to have something to say.

http://www.parliament.uk/edm/2012-13/913

Some of you will remember Jim McGovern, Labour MP for Dundee West from some of my previous articles. He has been particularly vocal of late.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/westminster-mps-table-motion-condemning-2867719

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/dundee/dundee-mp-calls-for-probe-into-champions-league-trouble-in-amsterdam-1.158942

The Courier article in particular saw some particularly critical online comments directed towards Mr McGovern – particulary as he was not so much vocal but noticeably silent after Celtic supporters misbehaved in his constituency of Dundee. Scenes described by Dundee Operations Manager Jim Thomson as “a throwback to the 1970′s” and “I have never seen anything like the behaviour of the Celtic fans in the 20 years I have been running games at Dens Park” warranted not a murmur from Mr McGovern.

Not surprising then with conduct such as this that Mr McGovern requires annual staffing fees of £ 115, 581.17 ( as opposed to his Party leader, and Leader of the Opposition – Ed Miliband’s £ 93, 747.42 ) perhaps his staff are particularly busy answering constituent’s questions about his apparent double standards.

With Baron Reid of Cardowan a recent chairman, as well as Brian Wilson currently serving on the board of Celtic FC, it would be foolhardy to suggest our footballing rivals are suffering from a lack of political influence, particularly within the Scottish Labour Party.

Though such influence appears not to be confined to the bigger stage but also on a more localised level and has been highlighted previously

http://www.vanguardbears.co.uk/same-city-council-same-old-story.html

With the Co-op Bank, with their historical links to the Labour Party, now subject to both scrutiny and investigation, it begs the question if the favourable loan rates afforded to Celtic FC were as a consequence of Celtic’s rather cosy relationship with the Scottish Labour Party ?

And as preliminary enquiries into land deals run their course in Brussels and Tory researchers work long into the night scouring over Co-op loan arrangements, I have a question for the Rangers support.

Is it time we sacrificed “politics has no place in football” – for the love of our club ?

Not if it means cosying up to one party and one party only like Timothy does. Like Bears who can't be bothered with politics, I imagine celtc's banging on about being a left wing club (aye right!) must piss off their fans who are either apolitical or non-Labour...I can't see any advantage to following their example. It may look attractive in terms of getting results, but it stinks nonetheless.

Professional, modern football is about many things. The actual 'football', is way down the list. Politics, religion, money, tribalism, family upbringing, all seem to be a more important factor in the team that most people follow.

As I grow more philosophical with age, I even find myself questioning why I support us. The answers I find are not always totally comfortable to think about. The most depressing thing about Scottish football in general, is it's petty, tit-for-tat nature of it's two biggest clubs. It's a mutual obsession in the pursuit to feel superior to what are essentially our neighbours. Human nature at it's worst, I suppose.

Not if it means cosying up to one party and one party only like Timothy does. Like Bears who can't be bothered with politics, I imagine celtc's banging on about being a left wing club (aye right!) must piss off their fans who are either apolitical or non-Labour...I can't see any advantage to following their example. It may look attractive in terms of getting results, but it stinks nonetheless.

Andy

If you truly accuse Timothy of cosying up to one particular party, you are very, very, sorely misguided.

Timothy is smart enough to have his/her fingers all over every single party you care to think of.

And the ones that have yet to be invented.

Is it time we sacrificed “politics has no place in football” – for the love of our club ?

I would suggest that if one has a problem with the Scottish Labour Party and/or GCC, - and who amonst us doesn't? - then the place to register that discontent is at the ballot box or in the street, not in the Govan stand.

Personally, my disdain for the Scottish Labour Party is matched only by my disdain for the tories and only exceeded by my contempt for UKIP and their closet fascist followers - but I don't see how exhibiting that political viewpoint at Ibrox, or whilst cloaked in a Rangers scarf helps our club.

As a support we don't speak with a political voice which is much different from the national picture - as political exchanges on this board have shown - so to attempt to align the club or support with one political party or against one political party would only serve to weaken and divide us.

By all means, go after corruption; by all means expose cronyism and dishonesty, as you yourself have (admirably) done - but any attempt to associate the club with an anti-Labour agenda would not do Rangers any favours.

Unless, that is, you are now advocating a vote for the SNP and Independence, in which case ignore all of the above and carry on with the good work :)

D'Art is that the same Locutus that frequently trolls fellow Bears on Twitter?

I wouldnt label him a "troll" WBD - I understand he follows a number of the Rangers bloggers and have seen him engage in discussion with many of them, often favourably

I would suggest that if one has a problem with the Scottish Labour Party and/or GCC, - and who amonst us doesn't? - then the place to register that discontent is at the ballot box or in the street, not in the Govan stand.

Personally, my disdain for the Scottish Labour Party is matched only by my disdain for the tories and only exceeded by my contempt for UKIP and their closet fascist followers - but I don't see how exhibiting that political viewpoint at Ibrox, or whilst cloaked in a Rangers scarf helps our club.

As a support we don't speak with a political voice which is much different from the national picture - as political exchanges on this board have shown - so to attempt to align the club or support with one political party or against one political party would only serve to weaken and divide us.

By all means, go after corruption; by all means expose cronyism and dishonesty, as you yourself have (admirably) done - but any attempt to associate the club with an anti-Labour agenda would not do Rangers any favours.

Unless, that is, you are now advocating a vote for the SNP and Independence, in which case ignore all of the above and carry on with the good work :)

There has to be a way RPB of directing and managing our political influence without as Andy puts it "cosying up" to one particular party. Im not advocating jumping into bed with them in such a way as there is clear bias towards our club, or we find ourselves the recipients of favourable loans etc - but at least it would be nice if some of our MP's had put their heads above the parapet to remind the disciples of the "bloodfest" that we live in a country where you are presumed innocent until proven guilty - not the other way round. And if the clear misdirection by HMRC had caused a clamour for an official enquiry.